Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Gift Idea???? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/gift-idea-62396/)

kytowboater 04-12-2012 08:58 PM

Gift Idea????

My dad is turning 60 this summer, I want to buy him a gun. Be it a handgun or rifle. Around the $500-$600 range. Here's my qualm, what do you buy the man that has a lot? Maybe something a little older, more collectible. Maybe I'm out of the price range there, I know his favorite caliber is .308. I'm kinda at a loss for thoughts. Maybe a really nice bolt action rifle......any ideas???

Mosin 04-12-2012 09:09 PM

As a gift for myself (you could maybe apply this to your needs) is to buy a nice old muzzle loader, and have it engraved.

kytowboater 04-12-2012 09:41 PM

Welp, kinda poked around. He mentioned if he were to buy another rifle, it would be another remmington 700, with a wood stock. Guess it seems now to find the right one. Yay, that just got more expensive lol.

orangello 04-12-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin (Post 769123)
As a gift for myself (you could maybe apply this to your needs) is to buy a nice old muzzle loader, and have it engraved.

I agree! Get him something different. My younger nephew has really enjoyed the BP revolver i got him; he can't hunt with it or anything, just a fun gun. It is a Pietta copy of a Remington NMA. Cabelas has some niiiiice ones in stainless. You might find him a cowboy-style belt & holster too and still be well under budget.

edit* My mom collects Fostoria Americana glass crap and that Flow bleu china (sp). I realized long ago that to get her a piece of that glass crap that she would really think is cool will cost me a crapload and deny her the fun of hunting it down herself.

kytowboater 04-12-2012 10:05 PM

He loves old western stuff that's a cool idea too, his girlfriend mention something about a Henry rifle. Have his nickname and the date engraved.

texaswoodworker 04-12-2012 10:17 PM

The Remington Model 700 ADLs run about $400-$500 (you'll have to get one used, I think Remington stopped making them). They are basically the same as the BDLs minus the floor-plate for the mag. You could get one, and have a little left over to get something engraved onto it. Maybe his name, or something that would mean a lot to him.

kytowboater 04-12-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
The Remington Model 700 ADLs run about $400-$500 (you'll have to get one used, I think Remington stopped making them). They are basically the same as the BDLs minus the floor-plate for the mag. You could get one, and have a little left over to get something engraved onto it. Maybe his name, or something that would mean a lot to him.

I think you have hit the nail on the head tex. Thank you.

JTJ 04-12-2012 11:09 PM

The 700 LS is a laminate wood stock and are available from Buds for$623. The BDL starts at $760. The CDL is $785.