Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Getting a "twist" out of a Bumper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 617 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 581

Default Getting a "twist" out of a Bumper?

Just wondering if anybody has tips for getting a slight twist out of a truck bumper?

Its for a old IH pickup, Im building outta spare parts.. I managed to get the major dents out without messing up the chrome, but am having trouble with the twist..

Im trying to save the chrome best I can, Will heat "burn" the chrome off?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #2

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Give us a pic.

I've gotten a twist out of a '92 F150 bumper (put there by a deer), by lifting it with a floor jack and then bouncing on it.

Note, I lifted it BY the bumper with the jack. A block of wood should keep the scratches to a minimum.

Ya damn hippy

Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1579 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 4802

Without more specifics (or pics as Trip noted), all I can give is a generic reply.
Take the twist out the same way it went in, except backwards.

Take some time to see how this happeed, see if you can leave the bumper fastened at the same spots, get purchase at the contact spots.
I have used jacks, come alongs, pipe wrenches with acceptable results.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Heat will discolor the chrome coating. Flaking, blistering, oxidizing too.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

People Like This 
Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #5

Liked 82 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Just wondering if anybody has tips for getting a slight twist out of a truck bumper?

Its for a old IH pickup, Im building outta spare parts.. I managed to get the major dents out without messing up the chrome, but am having trouble with the twist..

Im trying to save the chrome best I can, Will heat "burn" the chrome off?
You might check here for info and other IH owners:

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php

http://www.justih.org/

Old 11-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #6

Sorry... Shoulda specified a little more..

The bumper isnt on the truck.. Its one I pulled off another truck a while ago and threw in my scrap pile. I just thought Id try to straighten this one because its chrome and the truck I want to put it on has alot of chrome trim.. (I didnt think IH did chrome.. ) The twist wont let me put it on the truck, already thought of the using the jack or a tow strap if I could get it on...

I will take a pic..

Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #7

How far put are the mounting holes?

The bumper on my 58 Apache was dicked up sometime in the past. It was in the bed when I bought it. I could get the passenger side bolted up, but not the driver side. I used 6" bolts to pull it into place, then replaced them with the standard bolts.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
How far put are the mounting holes?

The bumper on my 58 Apache was dicked up sometime in the past. It was in the bed when I bought it. I could get the passenger side bolted up, but not the driver side. I used 6" bolts to pull it into place, then replaced them with the standard bolts.
Hmmm... Being a IH is made of "real" metal, that actually might work... Thanks. Im gonna try it..

Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #9

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

Last summer I bumped a guardrail in my 01 Dakota and bent the bumper. It's a sport with the plastic bumper cover, so I took off the bumper cover exposing the steel beam. Back the truck to a tree in the yard and chained it, pulled the wifes explorer in front of the truck and attached a cable puller. I straightened it back out and put the cover back on, can't tell it was bent. There was a slight twist in the end of the beam, I pulled from the bottom edge and it straightened out pretty easy.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #10

Did it work?