Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Getting them hooked when their young (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/getting-them-hooked-when-their-young-100986/)

ScottA 11-30-2013 08:31 PM

Getting them hooked when their young

I should have got photos, but it completely slipped my mind. Took my 7 year old nephew to the range today and introduced him to shooting for the first time. The grin on his face was worth it all.

Jagermeister 11-30-2013 08:32 PM

Nice!!!!!!!!

Axxe55 11-30-2013 08:36 PM

my brother and i have been teaching his daughters about gun safety and shooting. helping him pass this knowledge on to them is very much what our father did when we were their age. bringing another generation into shooting is how we will keep the tradition alive.

and yes, the grins are priceless! :D

G30USMC 11-30-2013 08:38 PM

Very nice, thanks for teaching the next generation :)

hairbear1 11-30-2013 08:41 PM

Wait till they shoot their 1st critter.

My son was all of about 10 or 11 when he shot his 1st rabbit with my Stirling .22 magnum had a grin on his face like a split watermelon and then he gets his 1st 3 goats with head shots at around 30yds with the same rifle and he nearly split his head in half with a grin that big and wide you could've parked the USS Missouri in it.

2 years ago I took him up to our Northern Territory on a pig/donkey/feral horse/wild dog cull hunt and he got his 1st 2 pigs with my .270 and now he's got his car license he's off chasing pigs and fishing with his mates.

Get plenty of pictures of his efforts as you'll have something to look at in years to come.

dango 11-30-2013 08:48 PM

I remember back in 1975 , I took my4year old nephew back backing and shooting. We had hiked four miles of the beaten trail to a little brook and set up camp and the little time handled it very well.

We,d spent four days there and four a little boy of four , he handled way better than I ever thought he . I did work my butt off keeping him warm and fed , even had to carry him out on top of pack but he never forgot it . He called me last week and said he was taking his six year old hunting and and he couldn,t help but to call , just to let me now how well he remembered me with him on my shoulders ..! Funny the way things continue..!

Anna_Purna 11-30-2013 09:14 PM

One day of fun like that for him will combat many years of liberal brainwashing in school. Next time have him bring a friend :)

hairbear1 11-30-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1445383)
One day of fun like that for him will combat many years of liberal brainwashing in school. Next time have him bring a friend :)

I did this with my son and 1 of his mates about 5 years ago. His mate shot his 1st rabbit with my son's .223 and has been hooked ever since and bought his own .223 and has shot foxes and pigs with it.

I did the same with a mate of mine about 12 months ago when he came out with my son and I spotlighting foxes,rabbits and Kangaroo's (under permit) and he has recently bought a Remington .223 which we have christened on foxes and he's hooked badly now on hunting.

The more kids you expose to "evil guns that are only meant to kill people" the more will have their eyes opened to how much crap the anti's go on with.

JW357 11-30-2013 11:31 PM

Excellent. Job well done.

I took my nieces, who are 9 and 11, out shooting my bolt action 22, for the first time. This was a week ago or so. They really enjoyed it. They kept their target and are pretty proud of it.

rurak 11-30-2013 11:42 PM

I've been trying to get permission to bring my 11 year old nephew out but his mother won't let him. She wont even let him out to ride his bike alone