Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Getting started (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/getting-started-48328/)

freeflymark 09-15-2011 10:55 PM

Getting started

Im certainly not a big collector. Still scratch my head trying to figure out why i purchased long range rifles i never have a place to fire at. Im interested in purchasing a suppressor for my XM408 and possibly an M16A4. Ive talked to a couple of guys that have set up a trust in order to purchase class 3 firearms. I dont really understand how a trust would justify purchase. They went on to say its a lot easier that the other route. So Im guessing i need to hire an attorney to draw up a trust but which attorney to goto. Would it be the same as starting a financial trust? Im hoping i can get some insight.
Thanks in advance.
-Mark

danf_fl 09-16-2011 12:26 AM

Welcome to the Forum!
Not knowing where you live, it is a little difficult to suggest someone. The manufacturer of the suppressor may have some info available.
The M16A4 (if you mean select fire) may be a little more difficult to get unless you are a military (not just a military person, but a complete military) or LEO.

freeflymark 09-16-2011 01:05 AM

Okay thank you. As to me i live in macon georgia. As to the m16a4 i am referring to the select fire. Are all select fire purchases restricted to leo and military only? Im a veteran and am applying to various leo agencies around the state.

danf_fl 09-16-2011 03:52 AM

Your firearm of choice may not be available (check BATF and NFA firearms). I am a vet also (20 years AF) with FFL and the M16A4 is out of my reach.

freeflymark 09-17-2011 01:21 AM

I appreciate the info. I got in touch with the local NFA/ classIII dealer and he told me that chances are slim to none and if the sear broke id just have a really cool 16000$ paperweight. So bad idea. Does the H&K UMP 45 fall into the same category? Cause now im beginning to wonder if i should get my FFL in order to purchase some of the firearms im interested in. The guy went on to tell me ill have a better chance at finding a browning M2 for 23k over the M16A4. lol yeah maybe when i win the lottery. Ive seen the UMP for around 6-8000 i dont know what a legit price would be. Now would it be smarter to purchase the USC and then purchase UMP parts and swap them?
Secondly, I was looking online at the "glock select fire conversion kits" that are as they claim 80% complete. I can imagine the sear isnt inclusive and im doubting isnt something you can make in your garage. So would that just be a rip off? And if its not would it be legal to purchase and get a stamp for it.

Thanks again.
Mark

robocop10mm 09-17-2011 01:13 PM

You are never going to purchase an M-16A4. These were not even made until after the "May '86" cut off of the machine gun registry. You can still purchase a pre 86 full auto "M-16" and reconfigure it to A4 specs, but it will not be an A4. Oh, and this pre 86 machine gun will set you back about 12 grand!

freeflymark 09-17-2011 04:35 PM

Okay by pre 86 are you referring to manufacturing date?

danf_fl 09-18-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeflymark (Post 581744)
Okay by pre 86 are you referring to manufacturing date?

yep! Anything after 1986 is a no-no (including converting your Glock 17 to Glock 18).

freeflymark 09-18-2011 02:59 AM

Well dang how are all these people purchasing M134 Vulcans and such? Okay better question is there a site that sells MGs that ARE available for purchase so i can get a better idea as to what is available?

JonM 09-18-2011 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeflymark (Post 582024)
Well dang how are all these people purchasing M134 Vulcans and such? Okay better question is there a site that sells MGs that ARE available for purchase so i can get a better idea as to what is available?

subguns.com is a good site to see whats out there.

there are two basic types of machine guns. registered recievers and registered sears. if the sear breaks your done. recievers can usually be repaired if they break. breakage in either is extremely rare.