Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Getting old

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1083 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUG3R44 View Post
Gettin' old ain't for sissies!!
That`s for damn sure................

When all else fails.

dango Likes This 
Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #12

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My primary doc just retired after I'd gone to him for 27 years. He had a strange sense of humor. Once he told me, "Well, at your age," (he was eight years younger than I) "if you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, chances are you died in your sleep."

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2845 Times on 1646 Posts
Likes Given: 16954

Well ,well now , may I join in..? I'm pushin 61 and still beautiful..! My hair has turned an attractive dirty blonde and parts , well , I lost a few through-out my history , casualties of life . Pain , (THE GREAT MOTIVATOR)..! Attitude for sure , BRANG IT..! Just a fact of life.! I'm payin for all the stupid , fun things I've done and to look back on it , I'd do it again,,! I expect to feel beat and , I do.! To be alive , to feel "PAIN" is good.! When the pain stops , then I got a problem..!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Back when I was in my early 20s, I worked as a bouncer at a bar in Lackawana NY. I was told by more than one of my friends who were 35 and older, that I would regret all the abuse I put my body through when I hit 40. Turns out they were about a decade off on that one.

By the time I was 30, I had been through 5 surgeries on my left knee, 3 facial reconstructive surgeries, and I had (and still have) enough metal in my body that if it was all removed, i could use it to make a reproduction 1940s Hudson hood ornament. I was born missing the 4th rib on the left side of my chest, and the corresponding half of the vertibrae that it would be attached to. At age 31, I had to have my left foot amputated from the ball of the foot forward. By age 33, I was blind in my right eye. This is not even counting getting shot (1 arrow, 1 bullet, (both in the right leg), stabbed,7 times (2 were accidental, and were caused by my own stupidity), 39 staples ( skin graft on left foot) and more stitches than I can count.

OP, I feel for ya man. Iv'e pushed to far at work before, and paid for it dearly the next day. the last time I did so, I entered the hospital with 10 toes, and left 7 weeks later with five. Relax, take some Ibuprofin, put on a heat pack, and get better. I also recommend learning what your limitations are, and being more careful when you decide to exceed them. I don't recomend learning whatthey are in the manner in which I did. I can vouch for the fact that it sucks.

Hope you feel better man.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 03-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #15

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

well hell you all make living sound like hell lol hows this one for ya'll I'm 20 years old I started working at 14 with logging and firewood. After doing it up till 17 I have a bad back I go to the chiropractor once a month to be realigned. I've almost lost my leg in a instance involving a falling tree and flying chain saw (damn knee still aches on cold mornings) and I broke my hip after falling from the back of a truck while we going down the road and I'm still working through life. Don't take this as bitchin you all just make me feel old lol

But you know what you all are lucky, you have more experience and have more knowledge about things then I do or might ever will I respect you all for making it this far in life. Hope you feel better dango.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

People Like This 
Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Well, they gave me some reeeeeally good meds! I feel good as new. Plus my wife owns a spa, so the massages hit the spot. Doc told me to remember I am not young anymore. I feel strong, but to try to learn my limitations. Still, I am quick on the draw and still shoot straight, so I guess that is all that really matters I am hunting three nights in a row and teaching some newbies at the range tomorrow. My weekend is going to be great! As the Drill Sgt. says, "carry on!"

Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #17
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Well, they gave me some reeeeeally good meds! I feel good as new. Plus my wife owns a spa, so the massages hit the spot. Doc told me to remember I am not young anymore. I feel strong, but to try to learn my limitations. Still, I am quick on the draw and still shoot straight, so I guess that is all that really matters I am hunting three nights in a row and teaching some newbies at the range tomorrow. My weekend is going to be great! As the Drill Sgt. says, "carry on!"
Sounds good man, although, I am a little jealous! I'm the one who gives massages in my household, but I never get to be on the receiving end.

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 317 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I'm in my 70's and I gotta lot of cheap whiskey to drink and bacon to eat before they call me Purina Worm Chow. They say exercise is good for you when you get older too...I found that when I feel like exercising, if I go lay on the couch for 30 minutes, that whole idea goes away.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

People Like This 
Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #19
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
well hell you all make living sound like hell lol hows this one for ya'll I'm 20 years old I started working at 14 with logging and firewood. After doing it up till 17 I have a bad back I go to the chiropractor once a month to be realigned. I've almost lost my leg in a instance involving a falling tree and flying chain saw (damn knee still aches on cold mornings) and I broke my hip after falling from the back of a truck while we going down the road and I'm still working through life. Don't take this as bitchin you all just make me feel old lol

But you know what you all are lucky, you have more experience and have more knowledge about things then I do or might ever will I respect you all for making it this far in life. Hope you feel better dango.
You sound like you are in about the same shape I was by 20. All of my metal, all but one of my Knee surgeries, and the facial reconstructions were caused by a car accident when I was 17. By the time I was your age, I was very familiar with pain too. Glad to know someone else who is young, and keeps going in spite of the pain. Keep it up unclebear, you have my respect as well.

Si vis pacem parabellum.

unclebear Likes This 
Old 03-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I used to be eight foot tall and bullet proof. Now I"m looking at 50 this year and I have figured out I was really-rally wrong. But, as cool as Imight be I can't change the past. A trashed back, bad left shoulder (left handed too) and I really don't have any complaints. I've always said we get one go around here so make it count. I tell the wife when I'm hurting worse maybe I'm getting the stuff to give some other person a break for the day. And it that is the case I'm fine with that.

At 21 I thought I'd never make it to 30. Now at 49 I've decided to leave this place the way I came in..screaming and naked. And I'm on no mood to rush things.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 

Newest Threads