Getting old
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Getting old

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default Getting old

I am stuck in bed today because I jacked up my back lifting heavy stuff at work. Thank god for workman's comp. I guess things start going downhill in your forties. I guess I will watch the Hobbit today. My advice for today is....the makers of the zip22 gun should get into the staple gun business. I would buy your product then.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #2

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Just wait until you hit your 50's. Every morning you wake up to see what hurts that day.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As an old friend of mine told me some years back, "You hit the double nickel, (55), and pieces start falling off."
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
As an old friend of mine told me some years back, "You hit the double nickel, (55), and pieces start falling off."
I'm 56 and I can say without a doubt, that is absolutely right. I wake up with little pains everyday.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2811 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 1638

C'mon men, I'm 53 and I may be blessed to have another 30 years or 3 minutes on this earth, I know not which, but Ill be damned if I'm going to waste my time bitchin about life!

I've had chronic gouty arthritis since I was 22 yrs. old. It comes and it goes, and yeah I've got aches and pains daily, but do we have to sound like the octagenerians in an old folks home here!!

We are the lucky ones!

Hopefully, what getting "old" has done for us is give us the perspective to know a good day when we have it!

We don't stop having fun because we get old, we get old because we stop having fun!!

Join me in dying a young man at a very advanced age!!!

Deal with it and rock on!!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #6

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

Well I feel like I am getting old. But it sure beats the alternative!!!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

dango Likes This 
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Gettin' old ain't for sissies!!

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

More than ever, now is the time to get in shape, especially with regard to one's weight. In your 40s and 50s especially, you'll find that those aches and pains will almost disappear. Back problems are oftentimes brought on by excess baggage, not to mention other maladies too numerous to list. Those of you who have no time for your health, will almost certainly make time for your sickness.

Everybody at "our age" should be exercising vigorously for at least 20 minutes a day, and taking a daily coated aspirin product, and getting routine cholesterol checks. If you're not trim---and I mean trim---get some professional advice and support from your local WeightWatchers group. Get fit and turn back the clock a few decades!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #9

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
More than ever, now is the time to get in shape, especially with regard to one's weight. In your 40s and 50s especially, you'll find that those aches and pains will almost disappear. Back problems are oftentimes brought on by excess baggage, not to mention other maladies too numerous to list. Those of you who have no time for your health, will almost certainly make time for your sickness.

Everybody at "our age" should be exercising vigorously for at least 20 minutes a day, and taking a daily coated aspirin product, and getting routine cholesterol checks. If you're not trim---and I mean trim---get some professional advice and support from your local WeightWatchers group. Get fit and turn back the clock a few decades!
Eat less and exercise worked for me. More push ups and more pushing away from the table.

I'm not 40 yet, but I notice a lot more aches and pains when I let myself get heavy. I'd been putting a lot of weight back on after a traumatic event a few years ago. Finally stopped making excuses and got back into the game.

I don't want to be an OFWG. I can't stop the O, I don't mind the W, I like the G, but I can control the F.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Last edited by CrazedJava; 03-21-2013 at 02:23 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #10

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you're a smoker, FOR GOD'S SAKE, STOP! I'm 75, and quit smoking 21 years ago, but it was too late. I smoked two and a half to three packs a day for forty years, and today my lungs are pretty much gone. COPD, bronchiectasis, the whole package. Even so, quitting smoking is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I'd have been dead long ago if I hadn't.

As for pain, I haven't had a pain-free day for over twenty years; but until the lungs and knees went I could do most anything I wanted to do. You learn to ignore the pain and go on.

Now I can't hunt anymore, but I still have a pretty damn good life--broke, but content, with a lot of interests and a lot of friends. But as Mickey Mantle is reported to have said late in his life, "If I'd known I'd live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Last edited by shouldazagged; 03-21-2013 at 02:52 PM.
People Like This