Get a load of this crap... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Get a load of this crap...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm an atheist/agnostic/non-believer. The guy violated company policy. Shop at Lowes. If your town is anything like every other town in America, Lowes can be found kitty-corner from Home Depot.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:10 AM   #12

Here is the corrispondance that I recieved from the person I heard this from and from Home Depot.

To: Home Depot.

Ok, so correct me if I am wrong but you sell Christmas items in your store (which I don’t have to give a bible lesson on what Christmas stands for), but it is ok for you as long as you make a profit,
But this employee is not allowed to express Christ in a small form.
How much of a Hypocrite is that.
If I chose not to smoke does that mean that anyone carrying a pack of cigarettes should not even have them in their hand because it is offensive to me?
Yes same situation if you are claiming that it is because it offends someone.
Same with Cattle panels, and lumber for stock farms.
I guess I can say don’t sell that because it is used to raise animals to send to slaughter.
We can go on and on about offensiveness.
Truth is if someone finds something offensive, don’t look at it.
Same as I am offended by the thought that your store is telling people they cannot be religious and show it unless it is a profit to you.

Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2009 7:41 AM
Cc: Information
Subject: FW: Your Note to The Home Depot

Thank you for your email regarding the associate we terminated for wearing an unapproved button. We want to clarify a few things. His lawyer has alleged, and some parts of the media have reported, that we fired this associate for being patriotic and religious.

So to set the record straight: We don’t fire people for being religious or patriotic.

This particular associate was given multiple opportunities to find an alternate way of expressing his religious and patriotic beliefs consistent with our company policy. He chose not to. And it is not true that he wore his button for over a year and only encountered an issue when he brought his Bible to work.

We have a long-standing policy that only company-provided pins and badges can be worn on our aprons. With 300,000 associates, we have to have consistent rules rather than getting into store-by-store debates about what is appropriate.

Again, we appreciate your input. We take comments like yours seriously and we thank you for taking the time to read our note back to you.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Most of you guys may be right (not going to argue that) but like I said, I hadn't (at time of original post) heard both sides of the story... but my question (and honestly think about it due to our sue happy society [not trying to defend the former employee or home depot]) but if this had been a employee that was a devout muslim with a t-shirt that said "Allah is the only way" on the back (because contrary to what is said and in my opinion it's not about the pins but the message it portrayed
and in after only 5 minutes of research have found a loophole(attorneys love these)...see footnote #1), and had he been fired, then he/she, and attorney would have filed a lawsuit against home depot for breach of contract ( the job application... because it says "Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer" which states that they do not discrimanate against race, religion, etc..

I appreciate your constructive criticism and by no means am I here to pick a fight...just mearly trying to understand the mentality of people and to gain a better understanding

footnotes...
The badges, buttons and pins on our aprons are awarded to our associates for customer service achievements, store accomplishments, years of service and company efforts or milestones. Our dress code policy states that we do not allow non-company buttons, regardless of their message or content, to be worn on aprons or other clothing to ensure a consistent policy for all associates. While we respect the beliefs of all of our associates, they are expected to abide by the company dress code during work hours.

The message is limited to badges, buttons,and pins

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/no-such-thing-too-safe-not-squeamish-29396/

Last edited by Justen.223; 11-04-2009 at 03:22 AM.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #13
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2106 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 4539

I had a Home Depot credit card, in the shredder and account will be cancelled!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #14

Liked 1415 Times on 837 Posts
Likes Given: 437

Quote:
Ok, so correct me if I am wrong but you sell Christmas items in your store (which I don’t have to give a bible lesson on what Christmas stands for), but it is ok for you as long as you make a profit,
But this employee is not allowed to express Christ in a small form.
How much of a Hypocrite is that.
A couple days ago I went to Home Depot. The Christmas items I saw were, fake trees, lights and Giant inflatable lawn ornaments using Disney characters and Santa clause and a really cool helicopter that had a spinning rotor. Christmas started as a religious holiday and many still celebrate it for religious reasons but many also do not.

I think you are being to hard on them. We live in a free society with no mandatory religion. Home Depot is trying to avoid saying anything about religion in any manner at all. Yet you seem to want to force them to take a stance. An Employee broke the rules which are not unreasonable or illegal, employee was terminated. What's the problem here?

Last edited by Yunus; 11-04-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: removed specific religious content

Old 11-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #15

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm sure that Lowe's or Ace or whatever hardware store you choose has the same kind of policy. They're called UNIFORMS because all staff members need to represent the business and be recognizable to customers. Standards HAVE to be in place and supported by an employee handbook that includes all of the business' rules, regulations, and policies. I'm sure this was the case with Home Depot.

It was dumb for management to go so long without addressing the issue. That will be the only sticking point in their defense. They should be subject to discipline as well.

IMO.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It would be interesting to see how different it would be handled if an Arab worked there and wore an Allah Akbar button .

Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #17

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm sure that would have gotten their attention much more quickly!

Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justen.223 View Post
This particular associate was given multiple opportunities to find an alternate way of expressing his religious and patriotic beliefs consistent with our company policy. He chose not to. And it is not true that he wore his button for over a year and only encountered an issue when he brought his Bible to work.

... but my question (and honestly think about it due to our sue happy society [not trying to defend the former employee or home depot]) but if this had been a employee that was a devout muslim with a t-shirt that said "Allah is the only way" on the back (because contrary to what is said and in my opinion it's not about the pins but the message it portrayed
and in after only 5 minutes of research have found a loophole(attorneys love these)...see footnote #1), and had he been fired, then he/she, and attorney would have filed a lawsuit against home depot for breach of contract ( the job application... because it says "Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer" which states that they do not discrimanate against race, religion, etc..

The message is limited to badges, buttons,and pins
I am glad to know they didn't waffle for a year before dealing with this uniform issue. I am also glad the problem didn't involve his Bible; that would've been silly IMO, unless he had that pinned to his shirt or something.

I don't think the Muslim with the Tshirt would've been quite the same; if i remember correctly, HD employees wear HD shirts with HD logos & such at work, not personal shirts. I could be wrong about that; there is only Lowe's in my town; the HD is in the next town over. Hopefully, if a Muslim or Buddhist or other non-Christian employee wore an unapproved pin or badge, the situation would be handled in the same way.

I really don't think HD would intentionally try to alienate Christians; Christians shop for home improvement stuff too. I doubt you will be able to change HD's policy, but you could look for a more Mom-n-Pop type hardware store that is more supportive of the expression of Christian beliefs at work. I'm being serious about looking for a store more in-line with your beliefs; i buy a lot of incense and generally drive thirty minutes to a "head shop" to get it, rather than buying at a more local store less supportive of my kind of people.

Not to be antagonistic, but i notice many store employees wishing me a "blessed day". I don't remember ever hearing any Muslim phrases at checkout. At least, you can be happy that this medium of expression hasn't been denied to Christian cashiers.

Last edited by orangello; 11-04-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #19

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Home Depot can and will fire people for not wearing collard shirts to work. You have to be in at least a polo shirt. Shorts have to extend to within 1" of the knee either above or below. It is called a dress code we all have them at work I would think. I know I would if I owned a business polo shirts or button down.

How hard is it to understand that the DOUCHE BAG broke company policy and got fired for it. They did not fire him because he was a christian or a muslim or hindu or any other religon. STOP BEING EFFING STUPID.

COMPANY POLICY IS NO unauthorized buttons or patches. Home Depot OWNS the smock so there for as company property they get to tell you how to wear it and how it needs to look.

How would you feel if a solider got in trouble for wearing an unauthorized button on his uniform? Not the same way the solider would be at fault because it is a uniform. Same goes for the Home Depot smock it is a Uniform and there are things you can and can not do.

FOX News and the douche bags lawyers made this about Christianity. The douche bag is the one hating on Christians not home depot. IIRC the owners of Home Depot are Christians.

Just because you guys are so against Home Depot I will do all my home improvement shopping there from now on. In my eyes they did the right thing.

Last edited by cpttango30; 11-04-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #20

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

You go to work for a company; company has rules you are required to follow; you break the rules; you get fired.

Where's the big deal in all of this?

No need to look for a grand conspiracy in everything folks...