Geocaching anyone? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Geocaching anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9387 Times on 4048 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Aircraft and ships use lat/long- but us humble muddy feet types use a grid coordinate system.

Look at a US Geo map- the sheet is divided up into squares. the 2 digits horizontally, and the two digits vertically, give you a 4 digit square. Divide that square again, and a 6 digit coordinate. divide again, 8 digit coordinate. Taught by Army and USMC for Land Navigation. An 8 digit will get you within 10 meters. You can even do 10 digit, which cuts it down to a meter, but hard to do.

You need US Geodetics survey maps (can buy them on line), a good compass (not a dime store type) ability to estimate distance covered when walking (pace count- mine is 165 single paces to 100 meters) know the magnetic declination for your area (compass points to magnetic north pole, not the real north pole- here difference is 9 degrees West) AND- know how to use a map and compass. Get a copy of Army Field Manual FM 3-25.26, or hunt it up on line.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:21 AM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Once you've mastered your pace count, you can get these cool bead thingies that you pull down every 100 meters. They have them now so that each bead is a skull. Grunt swag.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Had a set of pace beads. Made my new Sgt nervous- he thought I was saying my rosary!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've wanted to get into it for a few years now, but there has always been something that has bumped the GPS Map 60CSx off of my shopping list.

There is a sizable Jeeping/caching community in my area. As such, there are a lot of caches in rough areas that require a SWB 4wd and some balls to get to.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Once you've mastered your pace count, you can get these cool bead thingies that you pull down every 100 meters. They have them now so that each bead is a skull. Grunt swag.
Butt beads are for poseurs. Real soldiers can count to ten.

I made a set out of 550 and some red skull beads that I found at a bead shop back home. They looked badassed, but the beads would break when they caught the parachute harness on the opening shock.

My average pace count is still 55 paces/100 meters. I still check it every so often, when I can find a measured 100m length.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You need...[to] know the magnetic declination for your area (compass points to magnetic north pole, not the real north pole- here difference is 9 degrees West)
That's another question I was going to ask. When a map says Magnetic Declination = 9° West, does that mean that true north is 9° west of magnetic north, or the other way around?
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
That's another question I was going to ask. When a map says Magnetic Declination = 9° West, does that mean that true north is 9° west of magnetic north, or the other way around?
The other way around - when magnetic declination is 9° west, magnetic north is 9° west of true north. Helps to think of true north as the reference, and the declination is the angle from true north to magnetic north.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 04-02-2009, 03:50 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Here ya go. Magnetic declination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-02-2009, 04:03 AM   #29

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Not being able to read a map or use a compass is what happened to that NG unit that got the gd women millions because they got lost and didn't know where to go or what to do. That ordeal still pisses me off. They all got medals for being ATE THE EFF UP LIKE A SOUP SAMMICH. When I was in a unit that used it I would give classes on it in the back of our motorpool. I would give classes on weapons, land nav, and tactical reappropriation, and commo gear, Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS). I was not the most squared away solider (mainly because of my mouth) I told it like it was and that was not always a good thing. I told more than a few E-5 just there to go and stick it. I had one squad leader that was so ate the hell up I told him if we ever went to combat he was going to die the first day.

I have lost some skills with a map and compass but I can still read it and tell you where I am going or where I have been. A lot of nav is being able to read the terrain on the map and picture it in your head then convert that to real world.