Geocaching anyone? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Geocaching anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Why not leave a spent brass? Write Firearmstalk.com on the outside or a note in the brass. I thought about it to do with the kid, he loves investigating. An old friend's mother told me about it, as she and her granddaughters go when they visit.
Just went to Gander Mountain, trust me, the pocket knife is cheaper than the brass.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Why not leave a spent brass? Write Firearmstalk.com on the outside or a note in the brass. I thought about it to do with the kid, he loves investigating. An old friend's mother told me about it, as she and her granddaughters go when they visit.
My first thought is that's an outstanding idea.

But where I live, there are enough anti-gun nuts that they would call the cops out of fear there is some crazed criminal tracking them and trying to lure kids into a world of violence. (No, really. That's how they think, if you can call it thinking.) I'll just wipe the prints off the brass first, I guess....

Old 03-31-2009, 11:21 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I saw tango mention geocaching in another thread, and it got me to check it out. I went and found a couple in my little town on Sun. I'm working on putting together a cache of my own soon.

I think it's great. It gives me something to use my GPS for other than deer season.

It also got me thinking. Something along this idea could be a great benefit when it comes to storing 'emergency gear' in case of a PHTF situation. Stuff you don't want found if the zombies actually took interest in searching your property. (Damn space zombies!)

Or maybe a communication/supply line for the FTF regroup effort after the zombies come. But, that brought up a few questions too...

1) How long would we have access to the GPS satellites?

2) Could you pinpoint something that exact without GPS?

3) How do you convey these coordinates to other members, without giving them away to those who would use them for evil?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #14

We've been geocaching for a while now. We started because we thought it would be a good way to practice with the GPS so we had the skills when we really need them. It's a fun thing to do when we're out hiking or in the 4x4.

Oddly enough, the first one we found is practically at the bottom of our driveway!

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 AM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
I saw tango mention geocaching in another thread, and it got me to check it out. I went and found a couple in my little town on Sun. I'm working on putting together a cache of my own soon.

I think it's great. It gives me something to use my GPS for other than deer season.

It also got me thinking. Something along this idea could be a great benefit when it comes to storing 'emergency gear' in case of a PHTF situation. Stuff you don't want found if the zombies actually took interest in searching your property. (Damn space zombies!)

Or maybe a communication/supply line for the FTF regroup effort after the zombies come. But, that brought up a few questions too...

1) How long would we have access to the GPS satellites?

2) Could you pinpoint something that exact without GPS?

3) How do you convey these coordinates to other members, without giving them away to those who would use them for evil?
That is why the compass needs to still be learned and practiced. How did ancient sailors navigate treacherous seas without GPS? I'm sure that there are some Navy navigators or Air Force navigators here that could elaborate.

Communication would be the problem. Around here, if one asks for directions they get stuff like "left at the Anderson farm" or go by the octogon barn and then the next right before the Stinson pond. Unless you know everyone or every landmark, you are lost beyond lost. Deliverance lost.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
That is why the compass needs to still be learned and practiced. How did ancient sailors navigate treacherous seas without GPS? I'm sure that there are some Navy navigators or Air Force navigators here that could elaborate.

Communication would be the problem. Around here, if one asks for directions they get stuff like "left at the Anderson farm" or go by the octogon barn and then the next right before the Stinson pond. Unless you know everyone or every landmark, you are lost beyond lost. Deliverance lost.
I agree about the need to learn/practice use of compass navigation, which is half the reason I posted this. First, I want to know how accurate you can find a location with a compass?

For instance, if I uploaded the coordinates of an cache somewhere in GPS/Lat-Lon and someone had a topo map of that area, would they be able to locate that spot, within say a 10' radius, with only a compass and dead reckoning; or would it be more like a block radius, or a 10 block radius, etc?
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #17

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Properly, all you need is the GPS locations lat and long, a compass, watch and a relative idea of speed of travel.

Keep good records so you can reposition and pick up lost time and position.

I'd say with consistent travel speed, you should be able to figure a position within 500-1000 feet that way. Not good for the Geocash dealy.

I'm surprised no Navy guys have spoken. Or aircraft guys by that matter.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 04-01-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:27 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Depending on the skill of whoever gives you the grid coordinates, a compass can put you on top of it with an 8 digit grid.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Depending on the skill of whoever gives you the grid coordinates, a compass can put you on top of it with an 8 digit grid.
Sorry, for the non-military here, can you give us an example of what an 8-digit grid coordinates would be like?
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

This is simplified, but the basic idea goes like this.

The map is a square.
This square is broken into smaller squares.
Your initial digits give you which square you're looking for.
You have a tool, sort of like a transparency, which has
digits that will intersect when laid over your initial square.
So if your cache was on the top of a hill in your initial square, you can sort of intersect with your tool up to 8 digits.
With a larger relief map, you could actually do 10.

Now say you know your spot on the map. And you have the grid to where you're going. You can now figure an azimuth, and that's where the compass comes into play.

But the GPS is simpler.