Generation Gap? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Generation Gap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1705 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDbeej View Post
And then because they believed the liberal hype that "If they go to college, they will make a zillion dollars having fun" they get discouraged when all they can find are entry level jobs at entry level wages.

I run a business and cannot find staff that is willing to work for $10.00-12.00 and hour because its hard to work indoors with air or heat (depending on season). It's below their believed status to deal with the public who might want attentive service and quality product for their consumer dollar. We have serious issues getting and keeping quality employees.
Your not alone!!!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I understand that there are some like that, but there really are some who work hard in school, whether it be high school or college, and even though they have certain skills, if they can't find a job in their chosen field, they still look for whatever there is available. And for many of them, unless they have connections like a relative or family friend that can employ them, they are S.O.L.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #63
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i don't begrudge anyone who went to college and applied themselves and made a success out themselves. but i have seen many that went on their parents money and didn't much more than have huge grand time partying. but many of these same people would have been not much different than had they not gone to college. it's the person, not whether they went to college or not. it's the person who sets goals and a path they want to pursue in life that is the difference. some apply themselves in college, some apply themselves by working hard.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #64

Liked 286 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 42

On behalf of my generation I would like to apologize that there are so many bums and azzholes.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 07-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
i don't begrudge anyone who went to college and applied themselves and made a success out themselves. but i have seen many that went on their parents money and didn't much more than have huge grand time partying. but many of these same people would have been not much different than had they not gone to college. it's the person, not whether they went to college or not. it's the person who sets goals and a path they want to pursue in life that is the difference. some apply themselves in college, some apply themselves by working hard.
Well said. Seeing it firsthand myself, I could not have said it any better. It has to do with maturity, something that is learned the hard way through responsibility but today so many people want to push the responsibility off of the youth until 26 1/2 years old (or whatever favorite number).

When I went off to college, it was a shock to my mother because I assumed my own life and was not able to talk to her or see her as often. She actually told me one day that both my sister and I were raised to be very independent and that it showed. Then she said she felt like we were raised to independent. I told her that's nonsense because unlike my peers, I can take care of my own self in this world. Then I promised to call her more often.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #66
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Well said. Seeing it firsthand myself, I could not have said it any better. It has to do with maturity, something that is learned the hard way through responsibility but today so many people want to push the responsibility off of the youth until 26 1/2 years old (or whatever favorite number).

When I went off to college, it was a shock to my mother because I assumed my own life and was not able to talk to her or see her as often. She actually told me one day that both my sister and I were raised to be very independent and that it showed. Then she said she felt like we were raised to independent. I told her that's nonsense because unlike my peers, I can take care of my own self in this world. Then I promised to call her more often.
i have three older cousins that went to college and all three graduated with honors. doesn't seem like a huge story, until you put it into context though.

the youngest of the three is older than me by about two years an there is a two year difference in the three of them. "John" is 53, "Jonna" is 55 and "Diane" is 57. their father pssed away from cancer when "John was about three years old. their mother was very instrumental in them getting good grades in school and making them be self reliant and independent. they all worked part time jobs in high school. they still made time for extra cirricular activities outside of school, but they never let their grades suffer. they didn't go to college on scholarships, but all three worked while attending college to support themselves. my aunt, she helped them when she could, but forthe most part, they did it for themselves. they did it through sacrifice and hard work. nothing was ever given to them, as they earned everything they achieved. now all three are somewhat successful and pretty well off, but i don't begrudge them, but rather have a huge amount of respect for them. "Diane" even went back to college when she was in her mid 40's and got her law degree. this was while working and also raising two children. she now has her own small law practice and is involved in some politics, and was even elected to county judge once.

i saw pretty much most of all of that and can attest to it firsthand, that none of them got where they were because of being slackers, or privelaged or partying. they earned it the old-fashioned way, by hard work and applying themselves.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #67

Liked 1444 Times on 877 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Possum, we are in the same age group. We grew up with cowboys and WWII vets. It is natural that we view life from that perspective. While I have a dozen or so modern "working" guns, I have several times that of historic firearms. I have also read WWII history consistently for fifty years and can carry on a respectable conversation with the PHds at the WWII institute across the street from where I work.

When you know where the historic guns have been, it strikes a personal note. A lot of it is just our generation, and no, a lot of youngers will never get it.
It is good to hear from folks with like minds though, thanks for the post.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #68
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 950 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i have three older cousins that went to college and all three graduated with honors. doesn't seem like a huge story, until you put it into context though.

the youngest of the three is older than me by about two years an there is a two year difference in the three of them. "John" is 53, "Jonna" is 55 and "Diane" is 57. their father pssed away from cancer when "John was about three years old. their mother was very instrumental in them getting good grades in school and making them be self reliant and independent. they all worked part time jobs in high school. they still made time for extra cirricular activities outside of school, but they never let their grades suffer. they didn't go to college on scholarships, but all three worked while attending college to support themselves. my aunt, she helped them when she could, but forthe most part, they did it for themselves. they did it through sacrifice and hard work. nothing was ever given to them, as they earned everything they achieved. now all three are somewhat successful and pretty well off, but i don't begrudge them, but rather have a huge amount of respect for them. "Diane" even went back to college when she was in her mid 40's and got her law degree. this was while working and also raising two children. she now has her own small law practice and is involved in some politics, and was even elected to county judge once.

i saw pretty much most of all of that and can attest to it firsthand, that none of them got where they were because of being slackers, or privelaged or partying. they earned it the old-fashioned way, by hard work and applying themselves.
Sounds like my brother. He worked his way through college, then went on to medical school. He used student loans for that because he needed every minute outside of the classroom for studying.

For a long time he resented that my parents didn't pay for his college as they had paid for private grade school and high school. After about 10 years in practice with 2 others drs. whose parents paid for everything he started noticing the differences in work ethic between his partners and himself. He now readily admits that he resented missing all the parties because he had to work. It will be interesting to see if he makes his son get a job in high school and college.