Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Generation Gap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Nitestalker and eatmydust. Great pics. Thank you both for posting them. Some day soon I'm going to have to break my rule about posting gun pics on the internet and put my K Frame collection up.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1125 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

There is a big problem now facing the younger generation, that being employment. They (some of them) have busted their buns getting an education, are chompin' at the bit to get started on a life, only to find that there are no jobs. All the prospective employers have 100 applicants vying for every job opening, and can always find a candidate with experience, so they don't bother with anybody fresh out of school. It is easy for the youngn's to give up and stay at home where they can get 3 meals and a place to sleep. After a while, they get so they lose all hope and quit trying.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #53

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Has anything changed? Way back in the late 1950s and early 1960s there was a desperate "Rescission". It did not matter your trade or talents or education no jobs.
And in those days we had the draft. To compound all the problems for young men in those days a horrible war was waiting in the future. I thought things were real bad young educated and no work.
Then one day the government invited me to Fort Knox, Ky. It seems things could get worse. Every generation has its growing up to do.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
There is a big problem now facing the younger generation, that being employment. They (some of them) have busted their buns getting an education, are chompin' at the bit to get started on a life, only to find that there are no jobs. All the prospective employers have 100 applicants vying for every job opening, and can always find a candidate with experience, so they don't bother with anybody fresh out of school. It is easy for the youngn's to give up and stay at home where they can get 3 meals and a place to sleep. After a while, they get so they lose all hope and quit trying.
Part of the problem with unemployment is what I call education lag. Students try to decide what they want to be when they grow up. They do this based on what they think they can tolerate while still making lots of money. They design their course load and declare their major.

The next thing you know it's four years or more later, and all the jobs are full. Why? Because all the colleges and universities in the nation have been over training for the jobs available. If there were 20,000 MBA slots in the country 4 years ago, and the colleges train 40,000 MBAs the majority of them are going to be hanging out of a window asking you if you want fries with that.

The other part is arrogance. There are jobs out there. There are plenty of jobs. People just don't want to do them. I know of 6 skilled trade apprentice slots for high school grads that are open right now, and have gone unfilled for the last 4 years because they are too much like work. Two of them are in HVAC and the rest are electrician slots.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1125 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

I agree, Doc. The colleges lag about 4 years behind the job market. I worked at such great jobs as sacking groceries in a Kroger store, cleaned houses, and played in a dance band on weekends while going to college. When I graduated, I was well qualified for a profession for which there were thousands of other people well qualified, but few available job openings. So I joined the Marine Corps, and got on-the-job training for a set of skills for which there is no civilian job market, went to Nam, and came back to an ungrateful public. I was lucky enough to get involved in working with computers, and it pretty well saved me from a life of begging for any kind of job I could get.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I once saw an ex-military man turned comedian do 10 minutes on his inability to find a civilian job as a wire-guided missile technician. I laughed until I cried. Then I wondered if I was really crying because what he said was so true. It's often very hard to adapt a military MOS to the civilian world. Even a military cook would have a hard time. Where do you find a job if your main skill is making SOS for 200? Hire a drill sergeant as a motivational speaker and see how many people quit their jobs. Tank gunner? Good luck with that one unless you want to work on a delivery truck in Detroit.

The thing that opened my eyes to education lag was when the state recognized paramedics. Before official recognition you were allowed to work as one within your own county if the ER doc would certify you. Cross a county line and you're an EMT again. Suddenly the state recognized us and the push was on to standardize our training and skill levels. Inside of five years we had 8 times more paramedics than we had slots for. Eventually many of them found jobs since turnover is so high in that field. The average paramedic only lasts 5 years before injury, promotion, or burnout makes them move on. Things seem to have finally leveled out, but it took more than 30 years for it to happen. The training centers are now training about what the demand will support with a few extra for those that can't pass state boards.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
A friend of mine who is an accomplished musician once had Eddie Van Halen show up at his studio- when my buddy heard he was coming over he got all excited, figuring he could maybe get some insight as to how Van Halen gets that distinctive sound out of his guitars. He figured some strings, or maybe a few mods to his axe. Something had to do it.

VH walked in, saw my buddy's axe, picked it up, tuned it and started ripping some classic VH riffs with it. It was (and is) 100% the man, not the instrument. Van Halen can sound like Van Halen with a gift shop ukulele.
Peavy also made their "5150" series of amps specifically for the VH sound. There was a tight association.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #58

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
To me the best looking revolver of all time is 4" S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum in that beautiful deep blue. All the parts seem to be in perfect proportion with each other, and that see yourself shine is incredible. Throw in some zebrawood grips from Mustang and it is a work of art.

Another one I have a fondness for is the blued Ruger Security Six, also with a 4 inch barrel. In nickle guns my favorite would have to be a 4 inch large frame Smith, preferably the Mod 29. Second place in the nickle guns would be a 6 inch Colt Python. I think it needs the longer barrel to make the ventilated rib look good.

Man, I need a cigarette and a nap.
For me the best looker is the Smith mdl 28 Hwy Patrol revo. I like the muted finish of the working mans gun. I have a m25 that was made into one of the Jovino Effectors that is probably the prettiest snubby ever to me. I'm a sucker for N framed though. I do have a 19 that I have to admit is a really nice looker too

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #59

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Just wanted to ask- in the Civil War, which side had the AKs? And what kind of Glock did Wyatt Earp carry?

Just my own theory on this- I call it sitting by the campfire. Back in the day, old men would sit around the campfire- drinking coffee or moonshine, and talk about guns, dogs, hunting, fishing. Hovering on the edge of the firelight, wondering just what moonshine tasted like, was an 8 yr old. He was hoping to go hunting that year, or the next- on his own. He drank in what the old men were saying. He got curious enough to go read.

But someone put out the campfire, and today the 8 yr olds are busy playing GTA and COD.

But I still have a campfire, and I have grandkids (and now TWO great grandkids) and they seem to derive some pleasure from an old man rambling about guns, and hunting, and dogs, and fishing. And I give them BOOKS about REAL guns- not the things on some video game. And take them to shoot the REAL things.

Hiding the battery for their damned phone helps.....
As a professional history buff and old time B&W cowboy movie watcher, I'll answer your questions...

The West didn't have AK-47's, they had Chinese made SKS's. The East mainly had flint locks and Alaska rifles. Wyatt Burp had a 24 shot Colt cap and ball revolver.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #60

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
And then because they believed the liberal hype that "If they go to college, they will make a zillion dollars having fun" they get discouraged when all they can find are entry level jobs at entry level wages.

I run a business and cannot find staff that is willing to work for $10.00-12.00 and hour because its hard to work indoors with air or heat (depending on season). It's below their believed status to deal with the public who might want attentive service and quality product for their consumer dollar. We have serious issues getting and keeping quality employees.