Generation Gap? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Generation Gap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I guess im a weird youngin'....
My cars all have carburetors and the newest gun I own is a Medusa...
Ah the carb engine..I miss those days.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 02:03 AM   #22
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7172 Times on 3925 Posts
Likes Given: 14558

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
...today the 8 yr olds are busy playing GTA and COD.
I have a son-in-law who plays call of duty. What is GTA?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 AM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I have a son-in-law who plays call of duty. What is GTA?
i think Grand Theft Auto. it's a video game.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie

It is very true that many kids today have an entitlement frame of mind. It irks me to no end when you try to do something nice for some young people and they act like I should have done it sooner or they where owed it. While I was laid up a while (spine issues) I let one of my wife's nephews use my music place. I have a small mobile home that is for storage and the living room has my drum kit, a bass & amp, a 6 string and amp. He actually come to me, while I"m laid up in the bed and tell me I needed to but more drum sticks as all the others where broken. Now I've broke my share of sticks. It comes wit hthe territory. But these things cost me just under 10 bucks a pair. I might have actually bought more but it was the demeanor of the kid. It was like I should just go do it because he can't play otherwise. I told him to buy some or not play and in a huff. This ....Future Marine couldn't wraqp his head around theidea that he had some responsibility in this.
Now this was in the winter time and while I have electric in there the only heater is a kerosene heater. I explained that this heater had to be on and the room had to get to at least 50 degrees before he played. He didn't so I have a cracked 18" Zildjian cymbal!! Another thing he just can't wrap his head around. I might have said no big deal but I just bought the thing and 200+ bucks for a piece of brass that I now had to buy again He's mad because I wont let him play in there anymore. At least until he steps up and takes responsibility.

He ships off to basic in a week or two. I give him 2 weeks at best.

I raised my kids to respect themselves as well as others. I just can't get how this is such a strange concept.
How many young kids get to basic and then realize oh s**t what my parents wanted me to do was a cake walk compared to this! LOL

I'm 38 and I was raised to be self sufficient. If the car broke down or something needed fixing around the house my dad always did it himself and had me help him so I could learn how to be my own man one day. Having my own cars now and being a homeowner I have saved thousands of dollars with the knowledge my dad instilled in me. Better yet though I don't bitch and moan to others and expect a handout. My cousins that are just a few years (about 5 years apart) younger than me had everything handed to them while growing up. Now they're on there own and have no clue about life. Something happened in just that 5 year gap that I can't explain. Not that there aren't some well raised kids since then or even now but the majority of today's youth are losers for lack of a better term.

One last thing...by the time I was old enough to understand I was taught about gun safety and how to shoot. I knew to respect a firearm. Kids can be taught about guns in a proper way where safes and locks are not even necessary.

Last edited by pawjr74; 07-10-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #25

Liked 740 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Ah the carb engine..I miss those days.
Miss those days??!!!?? Its all I know...

One of my cars are from the days performance meant putting more than one carb on!!!

Last edited by Trez; 07-10-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #26
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7172 Times on 3925 Posts
Likes Given: 14558

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i think Grand Theft Auto. it's a video game.
I've heard of that.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #27

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
How many young kids get to basic and then realize oh s**t what my parents wanted me to do was a cake walk compared to this! LOL
That's a fact! Hell, just real life has a way of forcing wisdom on people. My daughter went off on her own. Moved to a larger city much to my dismay. After the first month passed she was talking to me on the phone and says to me that found herself using what she called Dadisms. She's learned real fast that the I was not near as off the mark s she once thought.

A couple of my friends kids after a little time in the military come home and talked about how they understood just what the old people where trying to tell them all their lives. You get what you get in life with hard work and personal responsibility. Stand up to what you do right or wrong... And learn form the wrong. And you learn to appreciate what you have when you have to bust your tail to get it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
Actually, I'm seeing a lot of younger people who are discovering bands like Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors etc, because the music of their generation sucks and they know it.
Don't forget Yes, Genesis, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Kansas, ........

Oh, and Justin Beiber is a Robot.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8285 Times on 4788 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

Quote:
Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen.

Mark Twain
I once was listening to Charlie Daniels' "Devil went Down To Georgia" at work and a kid came up and started commenting on it (favorably). I tld him it was the CDB and he asked "who do they spin?" (meaning whose music do they rip off in order to make their songs). I lit into a 5 minute rant on how Charlie Daniels actually writes songs and he can actually play every instrument that can be found on his albums. Then I lit into how much of a fraud the crap they play today is, ripping off the music of real musicians. It was quite a show I'm told. I couldn't tell you though because I was blind with rage.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I am 58 years old, and have been shooting since I was five. There are many, many, many people out there who have a better knowledge of firearms than I do, but, hell, after being around guns for over 50 years I've learned something about them. And even as far back as my early teen years I've been interested in the history of firearms and shooting. Not only did I read books relating directly to the development of guns, but also books by those influential in shooting -- Ed McGivern, Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, Jack O'Conner, and devoured the (then) more current writings of Skeeter Skelton and Bill Jordan. One of my favorite gun magazines these days is Guns of the Old West, which have a lot of information about 19th Century firearms and characters.

Of course, I instantly forget about 80% of what I read.

And, when growing up, my friends were the same. We devoured books about the Civil War, the old west and famous gunfighters, WWI and WWII.

Now . . . mostly when I try to talk guns with those under, say 35 (to pick a number out of the air) there is a disconnect . . . that while they may know a lot more about current firearms, they can't place modern guns in their historical perspective. I look at an old gun and it opens up a whole historical period for me; they just see the object.

I'm certainly not saying that there aren't exceptions to what I'm saying, but this has been my general experience.

Anybody else have thoughts on this, either agree or disagree?
I am in the under 35 category. I did not grow up around firearms, though my parents were definitely not anti-gun. I remember reading through old encyclopedias my parents had and drawing different kinds of guns from the illustrations. I cut them out of cardboard and brought them to school to share with my elementary school classmates. Imagine if I was growing up in this decade! I would probably be in juvenile hall instead of being encouraged to read and learn and be creative through artwork. In my opinion, a lot of schools today would confiscate a lot of gun related images, reading, etc.

Is it little wonder that so many younger people know so little about firearms? Unless kids have gun experience with their families, they may learn little about them. Guns seem a taboo subject at schools. Even chewing a pastry into a gun shape results in disciplinary action.

Since becoming a gun owner I have also noticed mixed messages in the media. I was watching a popular tv show and in one episode a suspect happens to own a gun. The investigators keep asking why he owns one; implying either he should not own any or he should have a really good reason if he wants one. Usually I like the show but the way this scene was portrayed bothered me.