Generation Gap? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Generation Gap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

I'm 47, shooting since I was probably 7. I think I've only recently in the past few years really appreciated the historical aspect of different guns. I now own a Mosin Nagant that was made in 1934. It amazes me the quality and accuracy of such an old gun. My father left me a Browning FN 1910 that I truly cherish. I know that a pistol just like it was used to assassinate (whoops NSA watch word ) Archduke Ferdinand in 1914. My dad carried it when he worked in New York City back in the late 60s/early 70s. I read a few articles by Elmer Keith and Jeff Cooper and I know that they are respected icons in the firearms scene. I don't know the others but I'll try to look up some of their work.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2867 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

Shouldn't we just sew this thread on to the "Old Farts" thread that passed by here a week or two ago?

"BBBrrraaappppp!, excuse me!"

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My youngest nephew has thoroughly enjoyed the Remington NMA replica I gave him...after he got the double load out.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #14

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It all depends on where you were reared. Back in the days following WWII the country was less urban and more rural. Kids were allowed adult status as they were very often working and doing a mans labor by 12 years of age.
American education had not yet been stained by left wing anti-gun teachers. Young men learned the basics of mechanics and understood simple chemicals.
The use of firearms was considered a right of passage to adulthood. Our society today looks at firearms in dismay and considers firing a "Glock" sideways proper firearms handling.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

is there a generational gap with the younger generation? i think it happens with ever generation. at 50 years old now, i tend to find myself more aligned with the older crowd now and my thought and veiwpoints follow along with the older generation.

i have done my young and dumb youthful escapades and have survived them. i still have the want to sometimes, but age and health restrict me now.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6175 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 6573

I dont own a single gun that is less than 50 years old. Thats the beauty of good guns, they last and last! Ive fired most of the standard military weapons but have no interest in owning a single one of them, (Maybe a Mk19). My old guns have the DNA of a few generations of Family shooters on them and I think it helps them shoot straighter!

Im certain My Grandadies old M11 Remington 12 ga isnt very sleek but it tosses lead as fast and straight as any new scatergun.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #17

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

A simple truth is old people don't know anything. Just ask a youngin' I wish I knew half as much now as I thought I knew then.

I say it all the time. We really can not appreciate where we are unless we understand where we come from. I'm pretty lucky, I had a Dad that was part of the depression generation. He survived that to go off and fight in two wars (WWII & Korea). He helped me gain an unquenchable thirst for history. The first time I even seen a M1 (both of them) and a 03 Springfield I was in love and knew I had to have them.

Now I will admit I am kind of a tech junkie and love new gadgets. I always have, but I also have a deep affection for past gadgets The designing alone is many times notihng short od amazing when you understand the tech of any given time.

All this and I was still a young kid so I knew what I knew and no old person was going to say different. This didn't last real long though being I really got tired of the old man saying "I told ya so you, gourd head" So form about 18 on I went back to my child like way of wanting to hear every story anyone with gray hair wanted to tell me. Sometimes wisdom is thrust upon you weather you want it or not. and with that I have also learned the more I know the more I know I need to learn.

So now I turn 50 at the end of the year. I'm fast becoming the old guy that doesn't know anything. Just ask some kid....But you better ask fast. BEcause if he don't get off my grass I"m going to hit him with his own ball.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #18

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just thought I'd chime in since I'm part of that young generation (at 20). Y'all are completely right. Most of my friends and people I know are allllllllllll about that tacticool crap and only know about older firearms from video games. Yes I have an AR15, has iron sights and a quad rail. Nothing else, but my dream rifle is....ya ready? A M1 Garand followed by a nice Winchester Model 70 in 375 h&h. Yeah, wooden guns... Now I'm not saying I'm much better (even though I am ) but I do feel like there are a few of us youngin's that have grown up faster than most. Most of today's youth is just plain spoiled rotten. I can't talk too much because I have been blessed with a very nice car that was a gift from graduating high school from my grandparents but most of everyone I know still lives off their parents whether they live with them or not. They have no responsibility. I always get asked why I work so much when I could go out and party and I just look at them and ask if they want to pay for all my bills that I have such as my motorcycle payment or car insurance (that was the deal I made to get a new car for graduation, I pay the insurance). There is no appreciation in this generation for anything. They, and no I don't really group myself with them even though I'm part of it, expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. And yes, the music now SUCKS!! Sorry! Rant over..

Last edited by ShagNasty1001; 07-10-2013 at 12:04 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #19

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Just thought I'd chime in since I'm part of that young generation (at 20). Y'all are completely right. Most of my friends and people I know are allllllllllll about that tacticool crap and only know about older firearms from video games. Yes I have an AR15, has iron sights and a quad rail. Nothing else, but my dream rifle is....ya ready? A M1 Garand followed by a nice Winchester Model 70 in 375 h&h. Yeah, wooden guns... Now I'm not saying I'm much better (even though I am ) but I do feel like there are a few of us youngin's that have grown up faster than most. Most of today's youth is just plain spoiled rotten. I can't talk too much because I have been blessed with a very nice car that was a gift from graduating high school from my grandparents but most of everyone I know still lives off their parents whether they live with them or not. They have no responsibility. I always get asked why I work so much when I could go out and party and I just look at them and ask if they want to pay for all my bills that I have such as my motorcycle payment or car insurance (that was the deal I made to get a new car for graduation, I pay the insurance). There is no appreciation in this generation for anything. They, and no I don't really group myself with them even though I'm part of it, expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. Sorry! Rant over..
It is very true that many kids today have an entitlement frame of mind. It irks me to no end when you try to do something nice for some young people and they act like I should have done it sooner or they where owed it. While I was laid up a while (spine issues) I let one of my wife's nephews use my music place. I have a small mobile home that is for storage and the living room has my drum kit, a bass & amp, a 6 string and amp. He actually come to me, while I"m laid up in the bed and tell me I needed to but more drum sticks as all the others where broken. Now I've broke my share of sticks. It comes wit hthe territory. But these things cost me just under 10 bucks a pair. I might have actually bought more but it was the demeanor of the kid. It was like I should just go do it because he can't play otherwise. I told him to buy some or not play and in a huff. This ....Future Marine couldn't wraqp his head around theidea that he had some responsibility in this.
Now this was in the winter time and while I have electric in there the only heater is a kerosene heater. I explained that this heater had to be on and the room had to get to at least 50 degrees before he played. He didn't so I have a cracked 18" Zildjian cymbal!! Another thing he just can't wrap his head around. I might have said no big deal but I just bought the thing and 200+ bucks for a piece of brass that I now had to buy again He's mad because I wont let him play in there anymore. At least until he steps up and takes responsibility.

He ships off to basic in a week or two. I give him 2 weeks at best.

I raised my kids to respect themselves as well as others. I just can't get how this is such a strange concept.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #20

Liked 741 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 802

I guess im a weird youngin'....
My cars all have carburetors and the newest gun I own is a Medusa...