Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Generation Gap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Generation Gap?

I am 58 years old, and have been shooting since I was five. There are many, many, many people out there who have a better knowledge of firearms than I do, but, hell, after being around guns for over 50 years I've learned something about them. And even as far back as my early teen years I've been interested in the history of firearms and shooting. Not only did I read books relating directly to the development of guns, but also books by those influential in shooting -- Ed McGivern, Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, Jack O'Conner, and devoured the (then) more current writings of Skeeter Skelton and Bill Jordan. One of my favorite gun magazines these days is Guns of the Old West, which have a lot of information about 19th Century firearms and characters.

Of course, I instantly forget about 80% of what I read.

And, when growing up, my friends were the same. We devoured books about the Civil War, the old west and famous gunfighters, WWI and WWII.

Now . . . mostly when I try to talk guns with those under, say 35 (to pick a number out of the air) there is a disconnect . . . that while they may know a lot more about current firearms, they can't place modern guns in their historical perspective. I look at an old gun and it opens up a whole historical period for me; they just see the object.

I'm certainly not saying that there aren't exceptions to what I'm saying, but this has been my general experience.

Anybody else have thoughts on this, either agree or disagree?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #2

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I'm 38 and I love historic firearms, but I did major in US History. I would tend to agree with you though. Many of friends don't understand why I would ever buy a SA Army clone or a 1858 Remington BP clone. The connection to history is lost on a lot of younger people.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Just wanted to ask- in the Civil War, which side had the AKs? And what kind of Glock did Wyatt Earp carry?

Just my own theory on this- I call it sitting by the campfire. Back in the day, old men would sit around the campfire- drinking coffee or moonshine, and talk about guns, dogs, hunting, fishing. Hovering on the edge of the firelight, wondering just what moonshine tasted like, was an 8 yr old. He was hoping to go hunting that year, or the next- on his own. He drank in what the old men were saying. He got curious enough to go read.

But someone put out the campfire, and today the 8 yr olds are busy playing GTA and COD.

But I still have a campfire, and I have grandkids (and now TWO great grandkids) and they seem to derive some pleasure from an old man rambling about guns, and hunting, and dogs, and fishing. And I give them BOOKS about REAL guns- not the things on some video game. And take them to shoot the REAL things.

Hiding the battery for their damned phone helps.....

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 423 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 137

c3,,,, I feel pretty sure that Wyatt carried a Nighthawk 1911,,,,,,

Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1124 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Sometimes their lack of knowledge of old stuff can get them hurt. I caught a burglar in my house a few (not that many) years ago, showed him my Ruger Super Blackhawk to discourage him from attacking me. He laughed and said, "What, you're gonna shoot me with that old-fashioned thing?" I said, "Yep". I'm much relieved that he didn't push the point and waited for the deputies to take him away. But it could've been a real tragedy if he'd been dumb enough to think a single action revolver couldn't hurt him.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 07-09-2013 at 01:27 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 524 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 201

I am in my early 20's and I will agree with y'all on this one. There is a disconnect between "my" generation and "y'alls" generation. Heck, I think just the kids 5-10 years younger than me ain't got a clue about anything because they are frustrating to talk to.

Much of this knowledge you are talking about is learned and then later stored as "wisdom". I am a learner, constantly googling anything I do not understand in order to learn more, but it seems that many times there is just not enough time in the day. I feel confident that by the time I reach that higher age mark, I will have a noggin filled with important stuff. In the meantime, from the younger generation to the older, please don't give up on us. Recognize those of us who have are heads on straight and are willing to learn, and then teach away.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #7

Liked 2394 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1886

I know I sometimes hang out with the younger generation.

I know MX-PX, Antifreeze, The Offspring, and many other new

groups, but many of them don't know their musical roots.

They haven't heard of The Beatles, Hendryx, The Who,

Deep Purple(a strong influence to Blind Guardian, for example)

My parents were older, and grew up in the Swing Era, before even

Bobby Darin, Elvis, Dion, and Ray Charles. Fortunately I could make the

connection with the newer music to the older, because I played in

a dance band in school.

But I came up with Rock, and many youngsters aren't making any

significant historical connection to their own early music, either.

BTW, C3, The South had the AKs, and back then

the Glocks were made of wood...

Last edited by therewolf; 07-09-2013 at 01:53 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #8

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I know I sometimes hang out with the younger generation.

I know MX-PX, Antifreeze, The Offspring, and many other new

groups, but many of them don't know their musical roots.

They haven't heard of The Beatles, Hendryx, The Who,

Deep Purple(a strong influence to Blind Guardian, for example)

My parents were older, and grew up in the Swing Era, before even

Bobby Darin, Elvis, Dion, and Ray Charles. Fortunately I could make the

connection with the newer music to the older, because I played in

a dance band in school.

But I came up with Rock, and many youngsters aren't making any

significant historical connection to their own early music, either.

BTW, C3, The South had the AKs, and back then

the Glocks were made of wood...
Actually, I'm seeing a lot of younger people who are discovering bands like Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors etc, because the music of their generation sucks and they know it.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Last edited by JD1969; 07-09-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 07-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #9

Liked 2394 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1886

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
Actually, I'm seeing a lot of younger people who are discovering bands like Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors etc, because the music of their generation sucks and they know it.
I'm seeing a few kids who are also finding Zepplin and The Who.

That's somewhat of a narrow claim for a broad range of music.

A lot of our music sucked, too, it just didn't survive till now.

Some of now's music is good, it just gets lost more easily in

all the noise.

Back to topic, I see many younger folks more receptive to

plastic and polymer pistols, and tacticool this, that, and t'other.

Perhaps a COD influence?

Last edited by therewolf; 07-09-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #10

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm 37 and I have a 21 year old step son. Please don't try to figure out the math there because I really don't need the wife on my case again. But any way back to what I was saying. I thought growing up in the late 80's-early 90's would help me relate to the kid when I met his mother. 16 years isn't to far removed I thought. And I now know, that I back then I was thinking oh so very wrongly. I can never get use to his thinking that his generation invented everything. I'm Sorry but you didn't invent speed just because you drove your four cylinder Japanees rice burner to the parts store in 2010 and bought some new invention called a turbo. And nope, that cool new rifle you saw on your video game called an M1 Garand isn't something you kids thought up either.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

People Like This