Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   General Advice Sharing Hub (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/general-advice-sharing-hub-105716/)

JW357 04-01-2014 09:36 PM

General Advice Sharing Hub

Got some words of wisdom you often pass off to others? Share it here. It can be about whatever you like, as long as its appropriate.

Let's try not to duplicate advice too often as well.

JW357 04-01-2014 09:39 PM

I'll start.

Never accept what someone tells you. Few people any of us are going to encounter throughout life are genuine experts on a particular subject matter.

Just because someone tells you something and they might generally know what they're talking about, doesn't mean they ALWAYS know what they're talking about.

So, get a second opinion. Or a third.

Often.

Ez2b 04-01-2014 09:40 PM

Okay I'll start

Get a job!!!!!!!!

c3shooter 04-01-2014 10:19 PM

Just a few of the many items from The Notebooks of Lazarus Long by Robt. Heinlein:

Certainly the game is rigged. Donít let that stop you; if you donít bet, you canít win.

Any priest or shaman must be presumed guilty until proved innocent.

Always listen to experts. Theyíll tell you what canít be done and why. Then do it!

Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect.

There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. But there is no evidence of any sort against it. Soon enough you will know. So why fret about it?

If it canít be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion.

c3shooter 04-01-2014 10:29 PM

And a few from the Notebooks of C3Shooter:

Take care of your feet. If your feet ache, hurt, or are blistered, NO part of you will be feeling good.

If he goes out of his way to tell you what an honest man he is, cash. Only. Up front.

Want to know what she will look like in 20 years? Look at her Mom.

A dollar's worth of maintenance on a car, gun, or lawnmower will save you $100 worth of aggravation.

If you find something that you REALLY, really like to use, buy a lifetime supply of it. They WILL stop making it.

Be willing to take the time to sit on the back steps with your 3 year old and blow bubbles. The kid loves it- and you can enjoy blowing bubbles without the neighbor's thinking you're an idiot.

When you clean your windshield, clean your headlights.

danf_fl 04-01-2014 10:52 PM

"Never accept the phrase "That's the way it has always been....""
New approaches can lead to faster accomplishments and still complete the required steps.

And what I keep telling a co-worker: "Flux is your friend."

orangello 04-01-2014 11:26 PM

Pass on cheap hookers and hookers taller or broader shouldered than you...or so I heard.

eatmydust 04-02-2014 01:09 AM

Spend the $20 to read the Autobiographies of the great minds of our past, you can either spend $20 or 20 years learning what they've already learned.

You can be right or you can be kind, by being kind, you will always be right.

If you only read one book of the Bible, make it Proverbs, you will learn how to live with others and what to avoid in others.(I recommend reading all of them.)

Walk softly and carry a very big stick.

Axxe55 04-02-2014 01:11 AM

never allow others to do for you, what you can do for yourself.

doing the right thing is many times the harder thing.

a definition of your character is what you do for those who can do nothing for you.

therewolf 04-02-2014 01:24 AM

Don't be afraid to ask for advice. Then use it.

At the core of happiness is a plentiful supply of TP.

Don't waste money or borrow trouble, when you
run out of money, you'll have all the trouble you'll
ever need.

Be polite in traffic; it will cause a rip in the space-time
continuum into which we all can escape to Nirvana.