Gee...there's a "News Flash" :)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gee...there's a "News Flash" :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Gee...there's a "News Flash" :)

Alcohol 'Threatening Future' of Russia

Russia is grappling with a major public health crisis in which residents are essentially drinking and smoking themselves to death, according to the country’s public health officials.

About a million Russians die each year from alcohol- and smoking-related causes -- between 600,000 and 700,000 of those deaths are attributed to drinking alone, Andrei Demin, of Russia’s Public Health Association, told Fox News.

“It’s threatening the future of the country,” he said.

The problem? Unlike other countries, Russia has refused to levy hefty taxes on cigarettes and alcohol to discourage drinking and smoking.

The resulting statistics are staggering:

— The average Russian drinks 50 bottles of vodka a year.

— A bottle of beer can be purchased on the street for less than the cost of a bottle of water.

— Twelve million of Russia’s 41 million residents have died over the past 15 years due to alcohol-and smoking-related causes.

— A pack of cigarettes can be purchased for about 30 cents.

— The average Russian male lives to be 60 years old, dying 15 years earlier than his American counterpart. Russian women die 13 years earlier than American women.

Although the country has launched a series of television commercials encouraging Russians to choose healthier lifestyles, many critics say this is of little benefit.

So far, Russian President Vladimir Putin has refused recommendations to raise taxes on cigarettes and alcohol, with some health critics saying the Kremlin would the Russian public stay “pacified and anesthetized."

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

They probably need the alcohol in their blood to prevent frostbite.

But seriously, i had a friend whose parents adopted a trio of Russian kids a few years ago. Their parents had lost them/given them up due to some SERIOUS alcohol problems. The kids seemed really happy with the new parents.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

— A bottle of beer can be purchased on the street for less than the cost of a bottle of water.

Whats the problem and Why can't we do this

Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Seriouisly, there's only 41 million Russians?

You might want to check that. Maybe 141+ million

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1915 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 3906

Go to a German fest, beer is cheaper than small coke or water.

Only in Germany! Here you get pain in the wallet!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Maybe we could send our pres and congress over there to do a little tax raising!

Let's make it a one way ticket!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If I had to live in Russia, I'd be a drunk too.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Seriouisly, there's only 41 million Russians?

You might want to check that. Maybe 141+ million
I just copied the story from Fox News.......... But I wouldn't put it past them to get their facts wrong........

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 08-12-2009, 04:12 AM   #9

I think the levying of heavy taxes/mandatory high prices to discourage smoking/drinking is NOT(EDIT> sorry, forgot to add "NOT" before "right")right.
It's an artificial reason to not smoke/drink and I think the harmful effects of smoking and drinking should be enough to deter use.
If people don't stop because of the foreseen side-effects then that is their problem.

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 08-12-2009 at 04:44 AM.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I think the levying of heavy taxes/mandatory high prices to discourage smoking/drinking is right.
It's an artificial reason to not smoke/drink and I think the harmful effects of smoking and drinking should be enough to deter use.
If people don't stop because of the foreseen side-effects then that is their problem.
I think that the Government has NO right to be involved in any citizens decision making process on what he or she takes into her body, on any level let alone by levying specialized unfair taxes or by means of Government mandated price gouging. And if you really need another reason, I cite population control.....