Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Gaussian Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
And in the case of Dr. Bull apparently so does the Mossad.
While there was no proof of that, I can't say that I disagree with you.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I tried to make a rail gun in college and ended up "discovering" arc welding...

Old 03-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I would think a welding machine and lots of copper wire would make for one hell of a fast moving marble.

If you cold some how make a pulse generator something that would surge power through the electro magnets causing the projectile to move with it would be your best bet ad achieving extremely high velocity.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wouldn't think that a Gauss gun would be illegal.... how would I check anyways?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 03-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
I wouldn't think that a Gauss gun would be illegal.... how would I check anyways?
I don't really know where to find out, I looked over the BATFE site, but couldn't really find anything on weapons manufactured by someone. Since you plan to fire "bullets" out of it, I would be damn careful you make sure it cannot be carried. Mount it on a bench or something where it cannot be swiveled or otherwise easily moved. If someone asks, it's a science project. The worst thing you can do is try to actually make a weapon out of it as opposed to something that simply uses magnetism to accelerate a small piece of metal.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8388 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

OK- about 45 years ago, built one with one of my friends. We had an early automated circuit (no computers available back then) that switched current from coil A to coil B, the C, D, etc.

Do you guys have any idea of the size of the coils, AND the size of the power supply you need to drive something like this? Hint- it ain't man-portable.

As far as the BATFE, this is not a firearm, any more than an air rifle is a firearm- even if the air rifle is .72 caliber, and powered by a SCUBA tank.

Basic law of physcis (and the world)- There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Firearms store energy chemically in a very compact form until you want to use it. You will not get MORE energy out of something that you put in. To get 1000 ftlbs of energy out of a projectile, you will put MUCH more than 1000 ft lbs INTO the system (losses are inevitable) The rail gun we built used small plastic bullets wrapped in iron- and we were not getting close to supersonic.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very interesting c3shooter.

I do not want to build a coil gun, I want to build a Gauss Gun.
It will use rare earth magnets. *vids on OP
I will probably end up building a coil gun though, just cuz they are really awesome!

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

Old 04-01-2010, 02:35 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8388 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Savior- sorry, missed the vid the first time. And not to be discouraging, but again, no free lunch in the energy world. Magnets- neo, alnico, or tomswiftium do not CREATE energy. What you see is a magnet pulling a ball to itself, and transferring the rolling energy to the next ball. Pulling the ball away from the magnet requires exactly the same energy that it gives up when it pulls the ball to it.

Basically a form of Newton's Cradle, with a magnet to start the roll. For those of you that missed the craze for desk decorations in the 1980s.....
Yahoo! Video Detail for newtons cradle

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:51 AM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The reason no one has taken gaus guns seriously is because magnets are very britle and when the ball hits the magnet it can shatter it, after a certain amount of speed you are garanteed to shatter the magnet. the reason coil guns arent popular is because the barrel has to be so long its impractical the reason your version failed is because you didnt have enough iron in the projectile, no matter how powerful a magnet is an object can only be acted upon by magnetism so much, the more you have the more powerful it is. The military is working on a rail gun right now but the problem with it is the way they work generate a HUUUUGE amount of outward force on the "barrel" that makes regular cannons look safe and they destroy themselves after a few shots. although the easiest one of the three to make at home is a rail gun. you could probably get one to generate very very high speeds, significantly higher than a traditional fire arm could but it would be heavy because you would have to reinforce the barrel so much. basicly all it is though is you take 2 metal "rails" (basicly just long rectangular rods) and hook them up to a very strong power source, you place a cunductive object (like a bullet) at the between the rods at the base nearest the side the electricity come in and surge the rods with electricity, which because of Lorentz force (remember when you were a kid in museums they had the 2 long skinny rods and a lightning bolt would travel up it over and over?) accelerates the projectile out of the barrel. The more electricity you have the more powerful it is. you would have to secure the 2 rails in place though, very tightly with something like a non cunductive shell of some material. You could also make it more accurate by creating a grove down the rails and use some form of lubricant or a "medium" that houses the bullet and would break away once leaving the barrel. you could lubricate this and not affect the trajectory of the round.

Last edited by Cory2; 04-01-2010 at 03:02 AM.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:36 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Savior- sorry, missed the vid the first time. And not to be discouraging, but again, no free lunch in the energy world. Magnets- neo, alnico, or tomswiftium do not CREATE energy. What you see is a magnet pulling a ball to itself, and transferring the rolling energy to the next ball. Pulling the ball away from the magnet requires exactly the same energy that it gives up when it pulls the ball to it.

Basically a form of Newton's Cradle, with a magnet to start the roll. For those of you that missed the craze for desk decorations in the 1980s.....
Yahoo! Video Detail for newtons cradle
What you said is true but what you missed was that one ball actually makes contact with the magnet and the other is farther away when it goes into motion due to more balls. This lessons the ammount of force that the first magnet has.
The theory that I read today was if you put enough of these magnet sets in a row the ammount of energy that you could get is unlimited. Granted, the magnets will break during the process.

All I want out of this project us a BB gun that no one else has.
It will be a show off toy because I bet you that this idea is pretty much un-heard of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
The reason no one has taken gaus guns seriously is because magnets are very britle and when the ball hits the magnet it can shatter it, after a certain amount of speed you are garanteed to shatter the magnet. the reason coil guns arent popular is because the barrel has to be so long its impractical the reason your version failed is because you didnt have enough iron in the projectile, no matter how powerful a magnet is an object can only be acted upon by magnetism so much, the more you have the more powerful it is. The military is working on a rail gun right now but the problem with it is the way they work generate a HUUUUGE amount of outward force on the "barrel" that makes regular cannons look safe and they destroy themselves after a few shots. although the easiest one of the three to make at home is a rail gun. you could probably get one to generate very very high speeds, significantly higher than a traditional fire arm could but it would be heavy because you would have to reinforce the barrel so much. basicly all it is though is you take 2 metal "rails" (basicly just long rectangular rods) and hook them up to a very strong power source, you place a cunductive object (like a bullet) at the between the rods at the base nearest the side the electricity come in and surge the rods with electricity, which because of Lorentz force (remember when you were a kid in museums they had the 2 long skinny rods and a lightning bolt would travel up it over and over?) accelerates the projectile out of the barrel. The more electricity you have the more powerful it is. you would have to secure the 2 rails in place though, very tightly with something like a non cunductive shell of some material. You could also make it more accurate by creating a grove down the rails and use some form of lubricant or a "medium" that houses the bullet and would break away once leaving the barrel. you could lubricate this and not affect the trajectory of the round.
You would think that maybe Daisy would take is seriously......

Very interesting read good sir. I never knew some of that stuff about coil guns.

Newest Threads