Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   The Gaussian Gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/gaussian-gun-25372/)

saviorslegacy 03-30-2010 03:39 PM

The Gaussian Gun

I have no idea where this should go. It isn't gun smithing or anything.... so I will put it into the *generalized* forum.

I am going to make a gauss gun, and I hope it will be successful.

I was browsing the internet the other day and found this:
In that video it shows a man using magnets to shoot a ball. I was intrigued and searched further. I found this:

The idea is very original. It uses a magnet to pull a ball until it touches the magnet and then transfers its energy into a ball that is farther away from the original magnet so that it is unaffected/less affected by the original magnets pull. After the second ball leaves with the original balls velocity it is grabbed by the next magnet and that magnet in turn creates even MORE velocity.
The result is unlimited speed.
The Navy is developing cannon that will shot projectiles using this concept. The projectile will be moving at mach 8!

Now I have been searching and I have found that no one has taken this idea seriously and developed a rifle out of it. One guy made a semi rifle but it wasn't constructed very well.
In this video it shows exactly how fast these little one can go:

I plan on making a set up with balls that small or smaller. The more sets of magnets you have the faster it will move. I did a little math and figured that I could fit 30 of what he has inside of a long rifle + have the separation be 3 balls instead of 2 (farther away from the magnet so it will not be as affected).
If it is farther away you wont have as much negative.
It will all eventually shoot a small BB out of a rifled barrel.

Well, what do you think?
Will it achieve BB gun power or just roll out?

cpttango30 03-30-2010 04:49 PM

LOL

I think you have been watching too much Youtube.

saviorslegacy 03-30-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 260547)
LOL

I think you have been watching too much Youtube.

Probably....

The Gauss gun will never amount to anything but a fun and interesting project.
I still hope it will shoot as hard as a BB gun.

ThorsHammer 03-30-2010 06:23 PM

Just be sure that you check local and federal laws before you go ahead and build weapons in your garage. :D I think you have a long and prosperous life in front of you and doing 5-10 in a federal penitentiary is no way to spend your youth. :rolleyes:

cpttango30 03-30-2010 06:34 PM

I am sure I would have built one if I were a kid today. We's didn't have us the interwebs back in the day and we had to walk to school up hill both ways.

ThorsHammer 03-30-2010 06:42 PM

All I had when I went to school was a tiny spade that I used to tunnel my way through 8 feet of snow with.

Dillinger 03-30-2010 07:06 PM

I believe what you are talking about used to be called a "Rail Gun".

Arnold did a movie about it called "Eraser" :cool:

If you want to develop the next "Super Weapon" I would suggest you read the story of Dr. Gerald Bull very carefully before proceeding. :eek:

I would definitely recommend against just building a new weapon in your garage. Throwing stars and bows & arrows are one thing. The BATF frowns rather seriously when you progress into realms they control.

JD

user4 03-30-2010 07:17 PM

My gauss gun in Fallout 3 was my favorite sniper rifle...

Shihan 03-30-2010 08:42 PM

I see new animations everywhere. Woo Hoo!:D

Jpyle 03-31-2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 260606)
I believe what you are talking about used to be called a "Rail Gun".

Arnold did a movie about it called "Eraser" :cool:

If you want to develop the next "Super Weapon" I would suggest you read the story of Dr. Gerald Bull very carefully before proceeding. :eek:

I would definitely recommend against just building a new weapon in your garage. Throwing stars and bows & arrows are one thing. The BATF frowns rather seriously when you progress into realms they control.

JD

And in the case of Dr. Bull apparently so does the Mossad.