Gas stations that rip off folks....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gas stations that rip off folks....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Default Gas stations that rip off folks....

A buddy I work with just busted a gas station that was ripping folks off an extra $2/gallon! They took pictures and reported it to the manager, he blew them off saying his pumps were right. They went back 3x in 24 hrs and took pictures of each transaction. They went to the police and reported the problem, they called in the state to go thru there books for the last 6 months or longer. Check your receipt for the right amount!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #2

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

that's a good tip........NAY, a GREAT tip.

i ALWAYS round my total purchase off to the nearest dollar @ the pump....easy to calculate what it should be. with that said, i have had the outside pump tell me one thing, and the inside computer tell the checker something else. diesel is expensive enough as it is, so i don't pay the difference between inside and outside, and i let them know that their pump is off.

my 7.3L is a drunk when she gets to drinkin...........and i can't afford her and me too! lmao

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-18-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #3

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

The bastadges.
My dad had a station when he retired from the USAF. He was the mechanic and he hired local active duty to man the pumps and help him out. I also pumped gas and helped in the garage when I wasn't being a PITA to my Jr. High teachers. It was in a northern tourist town, and it was hard to break even, but he was honest as the day is long.
That kind of c*** really frosts me.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I got ripped off one time at a service station. I went in and gave 'em $3 and when I pumped the gas the pump stopped at $2. I went back in and told 'em I gave 'em $3 and they said no, you gave me $2. There was nothing I can do about it but at least it wasn't my normal stop.

It was run by the sand fleas. Go figure.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

It sounds a little anal, but a quick glance at the seal put on EVERY pump by the Commissioner of Weights and Measures in your state will tell you the date they were checked. Anything older than one year or a missing seal can mean the pumps have been tampered with and the owner doesn't want them checked. Always keep enough gas in the tank to move down the street.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 09-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #6

Liked 2117 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
It sounds a little anal, but a quick glance at the seal put on EVERY pump by the Commissioner of Weights and Measures in your state will tell you the date they were checked. Anything older than one year or a missing seal can mean the pumps have been tampered with and the owner doesn't want them checked. Always keep enough gas in the tank to move down the street.
Absolutly. Check the seal! Look and make sure it's not shady.
One of my previous jobs was calibrating pumps and dispensers. Always look for a current sticker.
Thanks Tek
Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1023 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I had a local station that I swore was charging my card for purchases that I never made. About the time I became suspect, they went out of business.

Biggest scam, selling regular as premium. Another local station got busted for that one.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #8

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post

Biggest scam, selling regular as premium. Another local station got busted for that one.
I've seen several stations do this exact thing. You can tell it when you have a car that's supposed to take premium, when the motor starts to ping, you know you've got the wrong gas.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Texas is pretty good about checkiing the pumps. Once a year at a minimum. If major work done to the pumps, they have to be reinspected. I don't know if they check octane, though.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball