Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Garden in 5 gallon buckets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Garden in 5 gallon buckets?

So I just moved into this house. It has a sprinkler system that I am not 100% sure where all of the pipes are. With the big trees in the back yard Im not sure where the best light will be. With all of the little projects in the house and work(this is the busy time of year for me) I don’t have time to till an area for a garden. But I still want a garden or at least a few tomato plants. Has anyone tried growing tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets? Would that be enough soil for one?

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Here are a few that I found on the net, hope they help:

http://www.gardenguides.com/93116-grow-vegetables-out-5-gallon-buckets.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/lawn-garden/drywall-bucket-flower-pot-garden

http://voices.yahoo.com/make-5-gallon-bucket-vegetable-garden-3169774.html

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

bigbomar4 Likes This 
Old 04-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8643 Times on 3743 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Yep. Google "container gardening". Challenge will be to keep roots from baking (shade sides of the buckets, keep them white)

At the moment, I have two pepper plants on a window sill in 2 gallon pots. They are entering their 4th year, and are covered in nice poblano peppers just about ready to pick. Brought them in for first winter, and they have been blooming and bearing ever since.

My lady and I did a "salad" garden on the back deck one year- cherry tomatoes, lettuce, bush cucumbers, onions,peppers, radishes, etc. They did GREAT! Also study "square foot gardening". You can plant onions or radishes around the tomatoes (shades the soil) in same container.

You can also drill holes in the buckets if you have a means to hang that heavy bucket, and do upside down tomatoes (plants grow DOWN from suspended buckets)

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 04-18-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6965 Times on 4190 Posts
Likes Given: 8385

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
So I just moved into this house. It has a sprinkler system that I am not 100% sure where all of the pipes are. With the big trees in the back yard Im not sure where the best light will be. With all of the little projects in the house and work(this is the busy time of year for me) I don’t have time to till an area for a garden. But I still want a garden or at least a few tomato plants. Has anyone tried growing tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets? Would that be enough soil for one?
I grow tomatoes in tubs...........like this.......They are 17 gallon tubs. I drilled holes in the bottom for drainage.
tub.jpg  

Old 04-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Yep. Google "container gardening". Challenge will be to keep roots from baking (shade sides of the buckets, keep them white)

At the moment, I have two pepper plants on a window sill in 2 gallon pots. They are entering their 4th year, and are covered in nice poblano peppers just about ready to pick. Brought them in for first winter, and they have been blooming and bearing ever since.

My lady and I did a "salad" garden on the back deck one year- cherry tomatoes, lettuce, bush cucumbers, onions,peppers, radishes, etc. They did GREAT! Also study "square foot gardening". You can plant onions or radishes around the tomatoes (shades the soil) in same container.

You can also drill holes in the buckets if you have a means to hang that heavy bucket, and do upside down tomatoes (plants grow DOWN from suspended buckets)
This has made my day! I really want to plant a few things but REALLY REALLY did not want to have to tear up a patch of grass for a real garden. I basically want onions, carrots, cucumbers and potatoes. I will definitely be googling this. Thanks!!

Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #6

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Great!! Now I know what Im doin this weekend as long as this cold front is done.

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 835 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
I am not 100% sure where all of the pipes are.
I know this technique works with iron pipes, but have never tried it on plastic pipes.

take two metal coat hangars and make two right angle divining rods, short side about 9" long, long side the length of the bottom. Walk slowly where you know a pipe is located holding your hands about 14-16" apart. The coat hangars will cross over the pipes.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1498

Make sure to use light colored buckets, so the roots don't cook and drill holes for drainage, but cover the holes with papertowel, newspaper or something bio-degradable so that you aren't losing all of your soil.

Use compost & not chem. based fertilizers, read the seed packet for optimal amount of light, then move them to the best location you've got and enjoy!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Check out square foot gardening. I have been using this method for the past few years and it works so well I will never go back to row gardening. If you follow the directions to make your soil mixture (called Mel's mix) you never have to fertilize or till the soil again.

Edit: sorry c3shooter didn't see that you had already mentioned this.

Last edited by Flatman6; 04-18-2013 at 11:16 PM.