FTF Tornado Intercept Vehicle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > FTF Tornado Intercept Vehicle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

The duramax is a sissy motor, get the Cummins ISC 8.3 liter and hook it up with twin turbos and a pimped Allison world trans. Stock running in a 36000 pound bus you can get up to a 80 before the governor kicks in. Computer super pucks and such will bring the stock speed even higher plus you will be 24000 pounds lighter, this will add speed. Hell its only about a 16000 dollar engine and 6 to 8 for the trans.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I will have to look it up dock.

Price is no object. As we will have sponsers. This thing is gonna be running dopler radar and a bunch of other gizmos.

I had thought about an older cat 3408 but that was kind of big for this app. Though what if we did build this on a truck chassis. We could pack so much stuff in it we would have tornado people dying to be riding with us.

I want this thing to withstand a EF-5 tornado without even thinking twice about it.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #13

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

How about something like this as a starting point - add armoring, bullet resistant glass, run flat tires, a pneumatic anchor system (cable stays to hold the vehicle down in an emergency), and so on ....

images1.jpg

index.jpg

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's a Ford and we all know tango LOVES Ford.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #15

While cool dog. We are not wanting comfort here. We want bullet proofness.

The mere fact that I would cut the entire body off of it would make it worthless. Plus it is too high.

If I could I would use the lower part of a tank or APC with tracks. Then you wouldn't have to worry about mud. But how far and how fast can you run on tracks. Even Cat Challenger tracks.

If you don't know what the challenger is here MT700C | Challenger

What I truly want is a armored truck with a low profile 4x4 and I want it to go as fast as a sprint cup car. I also want it to look good as well. No since in going out in some fugly thing that breaks down all the time (TIV and TIV II). Anything with a main cab height higher than a normal Yukon or expedition is a no-go at this station.

I am thinking that I should to an alum carbon fiber fiberglass alum layer on the bottom then cover that with a coating of rhino liner then another layer of the Tango Tough alum carbon fiber fiberglass alum. That way we can paint it and stick sponsor stickers on it as well.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #16

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Well than how about one of these a starting point,

a tracked modular platform that can be configured any way you can imagine -
images.jpg

a platform that would have no trouble with terrain and can reach pretty good speeds -
images1.jpg

or one of these? it doesn't meet your requirements but it has a proven track record and is very versatile so it could be reconfigured/modified -
images3.jpg

or are you thinking the tube chassis route? if that's the case than the possibilities are endless -
images4.jpg

Is there a particular need for such speed? I would think anything armored enough would be heavy enough to just ride out whatever mother nature could throw at it.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #17

Speed when a tornado is streaking across the plains at 70mph you have to be able to get to it fast.