Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   FTF First Look: Glow-On (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/ftf-first-look-glow-33139/)

cpttango30 10-17-2010 03:02 AM

FTF First Look: Glow-On

Tangoís Glow-On report thread.

I received my Glow-On kit in the mail on Wednesday Oct. 6, 2010. I then took and opened the package and read the directions twice o make sure I was doing it right. I donít want to give a possible bad review because I did the application wrong.

I got the Kimber Custom II out and got my supplies ready. I first did the front sight. The Glow-on went on smoothly and with little mess (Just my slightly glowing fingers) the supplied wood applicator works great. I applied the Glow-On to the front sight then would move to the rear sight. I then set the pistol to the side and let it set for 1 hour (Directions say 30 minutes) while I cooked dinner. After dinner I applied a 2nd coat of glow-on in to both the front and rear sight. I would wait 30minutes to 1 hour before next application and I did 5 applications of glow on. The Kimber has stock sights and the rear has some straight line checkering so that posed a little problem. The shallow grooves would wick the paint into a bigger area than I wanted no big deal after first coat. I let it dry for 24 hours before first charging with light.

The first charge I placed the pistol under my lamp with the bulb turned to 150w for 2 hours. These results were shall I say lack luster. After two hours I moved it to the bathroom and left it in the dark I would check every 20 minutes and the glow was gone after 1 to 1.5 hours. Not bad, but maybe I need to let it cure for longer. I let it cure till Saturday where I sat the pistol on the table in my back yard. It sat in the sun for 2 to 3 hours now this was a good solid midday sun with no clouds. I again move the pistol into the bathroom and let it sit. Again checking every 20 minutes and again 1 to 1.5 hours of glow time.

I applied a testing square to the back of my cell phone. I then allowed this dot to sit in the window of my office for 6 straight hours. It was glowing strong to start that lasted about 30 minutes before you could hardly see the glow in complete darkness.

So far I am not seeing the long lasing glow times as advertised.

I give this product 2 out of 4 FTF crossed Rifles.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/a/images.jpg http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l134/a/images.jpg

doctherock 10-17-2010 04:57 AM

I noticed the glow is not pronounced unless it is dark in the room. Try the test I did Tango, charge it up then look at in in pitch black conditions. You will notice it still glows and does so all night. If an intruder came into your house these would be the conditions. Doesn't help the sights during daylight hours much though.

Shihan 10-17-2010 05:00 AM

I have been noticing that when I wake late at night and look at the sticky I put on the dresser I do see it still glowing. The Toilet when I go in the bathroom is still glowing also. Not a super bright glow but a glow non the less. I will report more when I conclude my testing.

cpttango30 10-17-2010 12:57 PM

My downstairs bathroom once the door is closed it is darkness no light unless the bathroom light is on. Still I was only getting 1 to 1.5 hour of usable glowing light.

On this point is your house so dark at night that you can't see your hand in front of your face. Mine is not. We have one small light over the stove that stays on at night. Plus the ambient light from out side illuminates the house some. So a faint glow is not usable glow in my eyes. If it is dark enough to make this product glow then it is to dark to shoot. I would wait for the intruder to come to me as I could hear him stepping on cats and the dog growling.

To me this product is not very good for a night shooting situation. You would be much better served by using real night sights. I was not expecting Glow-on to work like a set of tijicon or mepro night sights but I was expecting something useful. Yelling out to the bad guy hey wait give me 10 minutes to charge my sights is unacceptable.

Shihan 10-17-2010 02:44 PM

I believe your eyes are not adjusted to night if you are coming in from a lighted place, but if you remain in darkness and awake your night vision will allow you to see the luminescent properties. I had the little bottle on my night stand and woke in the evening and the bottle was glowing.

doctherock 10-17-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 369567)
My downstairs bathroom once the door is closed it is darkness no light unless the bathroom light is on. Still I was only getting 1 to 1.5 hour of usable glowing light.

On this point is your house so dark at night that you can't see your hand in front of your face. Mine is not. We have one small light over the stove that stays on at night. Plus the ambient light from out side illuminates the house some. So a faint glow is not usable glow in my eyes. If it is dark enough to make this product glow then it is to dark to shoot. I would wait for the intruder to come to me as I could hear him stepping on cats and the dog growling.

To me this product is not very good for a night shooting situation. You would be much better served by using real night sights. I was not expecting Glow-on to work like a set of tijicon or mepro night sights but I was expecting something useful. Yelling out to the bad guy hey wait give me 10 minutes to charge my sights is unacceptable.

Tango Shi nailed it, there is a chemical in your eye called visual purple, once your eye is adjusted to the dark this chemical kicks in for night vision. Once your eyes adjust you will see a significant difference. My house is not pitch black but I can still see the glow.

cpttango30 10-17-2010 08:05 PM

I will charge the sights tonight for 2 hours and then go to bed and set my alarm and get up to check it.

gatopardo 10-18-2010 01:09 AM

Gato here

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 369756)
I will charge the sights tonight for 2 hours and then go to bed and set my alarm and get up to check it.

Howdy partner, I know you are trying hard, my respect for that.

Love a challenge, makes me feel alive MUAHAHAHAAA!

The truth is: A ten second exposure or as soon as it turns bright green (that is a good sign they are ready), or just leave your shooter out in the open in your room, it'll charge while you get in your pajamas, put the squares and the strips on a TV remote, a small square over an electric switch, you know, the works, and then...forget about it.

When you wake up in the early morning to the restroom, you'll find them easily without effort, and that is the main purpose of this product, we know that using it to get those pesky enemies of our country out of their bed for a good shaking is a bit pretentious, but for this, Glow-On works.

Quote:

IGETEVEN
"Indeed, I will concur, Glow On works very well in low light to dark conditions and lasted throughout the night for me.

Wake up out of a dead sleep and grab your favorite nightstand booger-bear gun or shotty, immediate ocular recognition of your weapon sites, lit up bright enough for you every time, especially the front site, for on target. Reminds me of NVG target sighting...but way cheaper!

Highly recommended if you want to really site or locate anything in the dark...or you just can't see as well as you used to, especially in the dark.

"Jack" approved! "