Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > FTF Bushcraft School

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default FTF Bushcraft School

Let's start with Bushcraft 101...

Bushcraft

I’m sure at least a few of you have seen this term pop up in books, websites and magazines. Lately it has become a somewhat fashionable term in the knife industry, which has lead to abusive use in advertising (very much like “tactical”). Nobody is really sure what it means anymore.

This is my personal definition of the term, based purely on my training and reading. I consider it an educated opinion, but an opinion none the less.
Bushcraft is a combination of traditional and primitive skills applied to outdoors living. The whole idea behind it is to rescue the kind of practical knowledge that helped human beings rise to the top of the food chain from falling into oblivion. It has very strong links to anthropology and to what some people call practical archaeology. Bushcraft enthusiasts look to aboriginal peoples to learn age old skills that have helped them live off the land.

The knowledge and skills associated with bushcraft are endless, ranging from making cordage out of natural fibres to building an igloo. What remains the same is the attitude behind it: work with what the land has to offer and your own ingenuity to improve your situation. Although there are all sorts of great toys and pieces of kit to help you out, bushcraft tends to take a minimalistic approach. A good woodworking knife is pretty much all you need.

Some people get bushcraft and primitive skills mixed up with survival techniques. There’s a big, big difference. While bushcraft knowledge can certainly save your bacon in a tight spot, most of it is meant for longer term scenarios and sometimes requires too much work. I always use the same example. I enjoy friction fire starting, but compared to a Bic lighter and some waterproof tinder it’s a waste of precious time and energy. In an emergency, you’re playing the calorie game and need to get things done as fast and easily as possible.

However, should you lose or damage your equipment you’ll be happy to carry the knowledge with you to get things done in an alternate way. If anything, just knowing that there’s a “Plan B” will help you keep morale up. Statistically, in the US, most survival scenarios are over within 72hs. That’s why survival experts put emphasis on equipment and techniques that are going to be crucial during those three days (things like food usually take a back seat to the holy trinity of water, fire, shelter). If for whatever reason your emergency goes beyond those 72hs, you’ll be very glad to have invested the time to learn how to make the most of your surroundings.
There are aspects of bushcraft, like trapping and shelter building that are pretty much the same as what’s taught at survival schools. Perhaps with more natural materials used for cordage and insulation (no paracord or space blankets).

Besides its practical side bushcraft is just plain fun. It can be frustrating at first, since we’ve forgotten how to do most of these things. But as you learn and practice it’s just amazing. In a world where people have forgotten how to peal a potato without a specialized appliance making tea on a fire you started with a piece of stone and your knife, and stirring it with a spoon you carved is empowering. Getting back in touch with those basic but fundamental skills on which civilization was built is the ultimate lesson in self reliance.

Get ready to go primitive! It's loads of fun and literally so easy a caveman could do it!

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Most excellent Master Chief! This is going to be epic.

I, for one, and very excited about learning these types of skills lost through generations of my family.

Thanks Francisco, I will definitely be signing up for the class.

JD

Old 08-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

Am I to take a knife and widdle a spoon? Whatever it is, I am in.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Am I to take a knife and widdle a spoon? Whatever it is, I am in.

No Shih you are not to take a knife and pee on a spoon, now take a piece of wood and a knife and "whittle" a spoon are two different things.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #5

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

will the first task be to fashion a loin cloth from the hide of a sasquatch?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Get ready to go primitive! It's loads of fun and literally so easy a caveman did it!
Fixed for ya'.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 08-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So can we use any knife? Can we use multiple knifes? Must we stick with one knife the whole course? What kind of knife would you suggest? I'M SO EXCITED!

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post
So can we use any knife? Can we use multiple knifes? Must we stick with one knife the whole course? What kind of knife would you suggest? I'M SO EXCITED!
Missing the point. Francisco is going to teach you about a new knife, and why he believes it's the best knife for this application.

You can certainly use a different knife if you so choose, but the point behind the exercise to is to learn all new skills with a new tool ( to most of us ) that some experts in the field think is the best for this kind of work.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Missing the point. Francisco is going to teach you about a new knife, and why he believes it's the best knife for this application.

You can certainly use a different knife if you so choose, but the point behind the exercise to is to learn all new skills with a new tool ( to most of us ) that some experts in the field think is the best for this kind of work.
Ahhhhh now I understand. Thank you.

ps. still very excited!

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 284 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I am definitely in. I'm too much of a city boy for my liking.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.