Freezing sweet corn
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Freezing sweet corn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Freezing sweet corn

Our sweet corn is about ready and thought it worth asking; how do y'all freeze it? We're gonna have about 200ish ears. My Wife wants to shuck it and freeze it on the cob in vacuum lock bags. I personally would rather keep it wrapped in the husk so it'll be grillable throughout the winter.
So what have you found to work best?

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #2

Liked 931 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Put it in bags after shucking it. Only way to go. Blanch it is even better. I have done thousands of ears. Cut some off the cob and freeze it too. Make sure to get all the air out.

USMC 74-78

Mick3411 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 728 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 1734

Way we always did it was drop the shucked ears in boiling water for one minute, then into ice water to stop the cooking. Let drain , then vacuum pack and freeze. The blanching deactivates the natural enzymes in the corn that would otherwise cause it to deteriorate faster.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

People Like This 
Old 07-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #4

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The very best form of preserved corn is called "Bourbon"!!

Old 07-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 728 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 1734

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The very best form of preserved corn is called "Bourbon"!!
That too.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7315 Times on 4399 Posts
Likes Given: 8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
Way we always did it was drop the shucked ears in boiling water for one minute, then into ice water to stop the cooking. Let drain , then vacuum pack and freeze. The blanching deactivates the natural enzymes in the corn that would otherwise cause it to deteriorate faster.
This is the best way. It is better to blanch it and vacuum seal it. I always take it off the cob.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #7

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
Blanching is the only way to preserve the corn for long term storage.
Last year we blanched our sweetcorn,then cut it off the cob and froze it in zip lock freezer bags,it tasted great!

This year we will try blanching and leaving it on the cob,and freezing it in zip lock freezer bags.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

blanch it on the hob, chill it in ice water, strip it off the cob, put into vacuum seal bags, freeze it, then vacuum seal it.

Have the whole process down to an assembly line

Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #9

Liked 467 Times on 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter

Blanching is the only way to preserve the corn for long term storage.
Last year we blanched our sweetcorn,then cut it off the cob and froze it in zip lock freezer bags,it tasted great!

This year we will try blanching and leaving it on the cob,and freezing it in zip lock freezer bags.
If you put the corn in a cooler and then add dry ice to the cooler it will flash freeze it. Then put the corn into ziplock bags while still in the cooler there will be no oxygen in the sealed bags. I've read that doing it this way adds time you can leave it in the freezer as well. I've only done it with berries, but worker really well.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #10

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
If you put the corn in a cooler and then add dry ice to the cooler it will flash freeze it. Then put the corn into ziplock bags while still in the cooler there will be no oxygen in the sealed bags. I've read that doing it this way adds time you can leave it in the freezer as well. I've only done it with berries, but worker really well.

That's very interesting ctshooter,thanks for the information.

Here's a question pertaining to Courtjesters thread,for those who have been successful freezing sweetcorn on the cob. How do you prepare it for the table from the freezer? Boil,bake,microwave?