Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Freezing sweet corn (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/freezing-sweet-corn-94224/)

CourtJester 07-21-2013 08:41 PM

Freezing sweet corn

Our sweet corn is about ready and thought it worth asking; how do y'all freeze it? We're gonna have about 200ish ears. My Wife wants to shuck it and freeze it on the cob in vacuum lock bags. I personally would rather keep it wrapped in the husk so it'll be grillable throughout the winter.
So what have you found to work best?

limbkiller 07-21-2013 08:46 PM

Put it in bags after shucking it. Only way to go. Blanch it is even better. I have done thousands of ears. Cut some off the cob and freeze it too. Make sure to get all the air out.

buckhuntr 07-21-2013 08:55 PM

Way we always did it was drop the shucked ears in boiling water for one minute, then into ice water to stop the cooking. Let drain , then vacuum pack and freeze. The blanching deactivates the natural enzymes in the corn that would otherwise cause it to deteriorate faster.

nitestalker 07-21-2013 09:04 PM

The very best form of preserved corn is called "Bourbon"!!:)

buckhuntr 07-21-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1310995)
The very best form of preserved corn is called "Bourbon"!!:)

That too. :D

winds-of-change 07-21-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckhuntr (Post 1310984)
Way we always did it was drop the shucked ears in boiling water for one minute, then into ice water to stop the cooking. Let drain , then vacuum pack and freeze. The blanching deactivates the natural enzymes in the corn that would otherwise cause it to deteriorate faster.

This is the best way. It is better to blanch it and vacuum seal it. I always take it off the cob.

MOshooter 07-22-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckhuntr (Post 1310984)

Blanching is the only way to preserve the corn for long term storage.
Last year we blanched our sweetcorn,then cut it off the cob and froze it in zip lock freezer bags,it tasted great!

This year we will try blanching and leaving it on the cob,and freezing it in zip lock freezer bags.

partdeux 07-22-2013 01:43 AM

blanch it on the hob, chill it in ice water, strip it off the cob, put into vacuum seal bags, freeze it, then vacuum seal it.

Have the whole process down to an assembly line :)

ctshooter 07-22-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOshooter

Blanching is the only way to preserve the corn for long term storage.
Last year we blanched our sweetcorn,then cut it off the cob and froze it in zip lock freezer bags,it tasted great!

This year we will try blanching and leaving it on the cob,and freezing it in zip lock freezer bags.

If you put the corn in a cooler and then add dry ice to the cooler it will flash freeze it. Then put the corn into ziplock bags while still in the cooler there will be no oxygen in the sealed bags. I've read that doing it this way adds time you can leave it in the freezer as well. I've only done it with berries, but worker really well.

MOshooter 07-22-2013 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctshooter (Post 1311257)
If you put the corn in a cooler and then add dry ice to the cooler it will flash freeze it. Then put the corn into ziplock bags while still in the cooler there will be no oxygen in the sealed bags. I've read that doing it this way adds time you can leave it in the freezer as well. I've only done it with berries, but worker really well.

That's very interesting ctshooter,thanks for the information.

Here's a question pertaining to Courtjesters thread,for those who have been successful freezing sweetcorn on the cob. How do you prepare it for the table from the freezer? Boil,bake,microwave?