Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Free Pass on Stupid "?" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
From Wikipedia:

The .454 Casull (pronounced Ka-Sool)
+ 1 , that's how I've always heard it pronounced

Old 08-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #82
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Ya shoulda have messed with the mind of the douchebag. Steely stare, lift one eyebrow ala Mr. Spock, Etonian accent- "Well, to be precise, old boy, they are pronounced "HAIL-sears". The firm is located in Mexico, and in Spanish, the G is pronounced H- as in Heneral." Pause for 2 beats- "PEASANT!". Turn and stroll away.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-05-2010, 04:19 AM   #83

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
It's Glaaaaaaayser....

Oh hell f**k yeah!!!

Well done, sir.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #84

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I was given a dozen rounds of this 7mm mag. The photo makes it look like a copper jacket but I think it's steel? Has a lead point...soft point? The base says norma 7mm rem mag. Must to be at least 20 yrs old.

So do I shoot them through my Husky at the range?
Save them for hunting or SHTF ammo?
Or toss em out?

camera-001.jpg   camera-003.jpg   camera-006.jpg  

Old 08-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #85

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

shoot them and then reload shoot again and repeat.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Someone explain rate of twist to me. I've read things on it but I still don't feel like I've got a good undestanding of it. I'm probably over thinking it because it really shouldn't be that hard.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #87

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Rate is twist is expressed as 1:X

1 is one revolution of the bullet in question, from 12 o' clock around to 12 o' clock again.

X is the number of inches in the barrel it takes for the round to complete that around the clock revolution.

Thus a 1:8 twist barrel will rotate the bullet 1 time for every 8 inches of barrel you have. If you have a 16 inch barrel, the bullet will make two complete revolutions before it leaves the barrel crown.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Rate is twist is expressed as 1:X

1 is one revolution of the bullet in question, from 12 o' clock around to 12 o' clock again.

X is the number of inches in the barrel it takes for the round to complete that around the clock revolution.

Thus a 1:8 twist barrel will rotate the bullet 1 time for every 8 inches of barrel you have. If you have a 16 inch barrel, the bullet will make two complete revolutions before it leaves the barrel crown.
I understand that. I should have been more clear. How does rate of twist affect accuracy with various bullet weights?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #89

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I understand that. I should have been more clear. How does rate of twist affect accuracy with various bullet weights?
All bullets have a natural center of axis, yes? In order to get the bullet spinning on that axis it is necessary to propel them in a controlled way, in the barrel, so that they don't wobble or go end over end.

A light bullet, spun too fast, can over rotate and come part. A heavier bullet not spun fast enough to generate rotation on it's own axis will result in the wobbling effect.

The ideal medium is to find at what twist rate, and for how long in the barrel, will it take for a bullet to achieve it's optimum rotational ability without spinning it apart.

I imagine there are physics and other factors involved, but essentially you are trying to achieve the optimal spin in the barrel that will keep the round spinning on it's own axis to achieve maximum accuracy.

This is where "Spin Drift" comes in. Some bullets that are spun correctly, like a .308 round at 500 yards, will have a negative effect from that same speed of rotation the longer it is in flight. At 1,000 yards or further a .308 round will experience Spin Drift where the round itself is generating enough motion to negatively affect it's accuracy.

Once again, it's all a balancing act. Spin it too fast, you lose accuracy, don't spin it enough, you lose accuracy, spin it correct at one distance and lose accuracy at a much further distance.

That is why long range shooting is one of the hardest things to do. There are so many variables that it's mind boggling.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #90

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I was given a dozen rounds of this 7mm mag. The photo makes it look like a copper jacket but I think it's steel? Has a lead point...soft point? The base says norma 7mm rem mag. Must to be at least 20 yrs old.

So do I shoot them through my Husky at the range?
Save them for hunting or SHTF ammo?
Or toss em out?
Put a magnet on it. If it picks it up, steel.