Free Pass on Stupid "?" Thread - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Free Pass on Stupid "?" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 424 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I know nothing of reloading, but you may want to get specific on this one, i.e., caliber, etc.
Specifically looking at the .50 Beowulf. 30 bucks for a 20 round box is ridiculous.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Its actually .454 Ka-sool

Developed in 1957 by Dick Casull and Jack Fulmer.

The parent case is the .45 (long) Colt.

Chambering is similar to the following:

Both will load and fire in the Blue, chambered firearm. The inverse is not true.

.38 spl -> .357 mag
.45 ACP -> 460 Rowland
.45 LC -> .454 Casull

New addition;

.45 LC -> .454 Casull -> 460 S&W mag

Free Pass on Stupid "?" Thread - The Club House

Free Pass on Stupid "?" Thread - The Club House

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 08-03-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you build a fallout shelter in todays world are you considered paranoid?
Is there a way to stop an EMP? I heard that a layer of aluminum will stop it, but I am unsure.

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #24
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I believe people today are calling them "wine cellars"

And just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Around here, with tornados & hurricanes visiting with some regularity, a person could call a fallout shelter a "storm cellar" and be thought of as a good planner.

Does anybody know if an EMP will have a big impact on unplugged/unpowered electronic devices? Some movies have made it appear so (broken arrow), but i have no idea myself.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #26

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Somebody phonetically spell "Casull" for me.
I thought it was (Ca-Sool)

Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #27

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
I will be using this thread extensively...

First question, how many times can you reload brass?
Short answer till it fails.

Long answer. It varies on the type of brass and the pressure the cartridge is running at. Pistol brass for my 45acp will more than likely out last me. Some of my 223 rem brass has as many as 6 or 7 loadings on it. What happens is as you resize brass it work hardens and then becomes brittle this is when you get split necks. Most of the time after 2 or 4 loadings I will anneal my brass. What the hell is that right. Well annealing is the simple act of heating the brass and cooling it quickly to return it to the original state. That is the nice thing about brass heating and cooling doesn't really harden it. It can be done many different ways. I use the turn it in the flame with your finger. You can also set the cases in a pan of water and heat the necks and then tip them over. If you want to get real fancy you can drop some change on a annealing machine like you will see in this article. The Art and Science of Annealing

Some rounds are harder on brass than others. I never could get more than 4 or 5 loadings with my 220 swift.

The other major problem with reloading bottle neck cartridges is brass flow. This is caused by the pushing of the brass backwards on the case to make the bottom of the neck larger than the top.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Around here, with tornados & hurricanes visiting with some regularity, a person could call a fallout shelter a "storm cellar" and be thought of as a good planner.

Does anybody know if an EMP will have a big impact on unplugged/unpowered electronic devices? Some movies have made it appear so (broken arrow), but i have no idea myself.
Here, too much reading for me!

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL32544.pdf

A high-altitude nuclear detonation produces an immediate flux of gamma rays from the nuclear reactions within the device. These photons in turn produce high energy free electrons by Compton scattering at altitudes between (roughly) 20 and 40 km. These electrons are then trapped in the Earth’s magnetic field, giving rise to an oscillating electric current. This current is asymmetric in general and gives rise to a rapidly rising radiated electromagnetic field called an electromagnetic pulse (EMP). Because the electrons are trapped essentially simultaneously, a very large electromagnetic source radiates coherently.
Initially, the plasma from the weapon is slightly conducting; the geomagnetic field cannot penetrate this volume and is displaced as a result. This impulsive distortion of the geomagnetic field was observed worldwide in the case of the STARFISH test. To be sure, the size of the signal from this process is not large, but systems connected to long lines (e.g., power lines, telephone wires, and tracking wire antennas) are at risk because of the large size of the induced current. The additive effects of the MHD-EMP can cause damage to unprotected civilian and military systems that depend on or use long-line cables. Small, isolated, systems tend to be unaffected.

From: Joseph Farah's G2 Bulletin; Iran plans to knock out U.S. with 1 nuclear bomb

"Briefly, a single nuclear weapon exploded at high altitude above the United States will interact with the Earth's atmosphere, ionosphere and magnetic field to produce an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) radiation down to the Earth and additionally create electrical currents in the Earth," said the report. "EMP effects are both direct and indirect. The former are due to electrical systems, and the latter arise from the damage that 'shocked' ? upset, damaged and destroyed ? electronics controls then inflict on the systems in which they are embedded. The indirect effects can be even more severe than the direct effects."

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #29

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post
According to my research, I've determined the following....

7.62x51 ammunition is safe to use in a firearm chambered for .308 winchester, but .308 cannot be fired in a firearm chambered for 7.62x51 ?

Is this similar to the pressure issue of 5.56 firearms shooting .223, but not the other way around?
For the 7.62 the NATO pressure is lower than commercial 308 win loads. For the 556 or 223 the 556 is a higher pressure and longer bullet load.

You can shoot mil spec 7.62 in a 308 but not 308 in a 762.

you can shoot 223 in 556 but not 556 in a 223.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Since the "R" in 7.62x54R means rimmed, is there a 7.62x54 that is not rimmed?
I thought the "R" is 7.62X54R stood for "Russian"???

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com