Free Pass on Stupid "?" Thread - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Free Pass on Stupid "?" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
I've worn Redwings for about 7 years now, and won't work in anything else. Best damned boots available to the public.
Unfortunately even Red Wing has both boots made in China & USA. You'll know the US boots accause they cost too damn much money (I do have several pairs)

Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #112

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

OK how the hell do you say ogive?

IS it o give, o give (long I), og ive?

I know what it is I just never know how to say it.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #113

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
OK how the hell do you say ogive?

IS it o give, o give (long I), og ive?

I know what it is I just never know how to say it.
oh - jive (ō'jīv')

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ogive << listen to the second example, first is brit.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 08-08-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #114

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know that one can shoot 44 special in a revolver chambered for 44 magnum, but can the same revolver also shoot 44 Russian?

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 08-08-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #115

Liked 2007 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

Thank you Cane and Dillinger. The MOA postings were very informative. I learned something.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
I know that one can shoot 44 special in a revolver chambered for 44 magnum, but I the same revolver also shoot 44 Russian?

It looks like you may be able to do it. I don't know the russian rim is .001" larger in Dia than the other two.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #117

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
All bullets have a natural center of axis, yes? In order to get the bullet spinning on that axis it is necessary to propel them in a controlled way, in the barrel, so that they don't wobble or go end over end.

A light bullet, spun too fast, can over rotate and come part. A heavier bullet not spun fast enough to generate rotation on it's own axis will result in the wobbling effect.

The ideal medium is to find at what twist rate, and for how long in the barrel, will it take for a bullet to achieve it's optimum rotational ability without spinning it apart.

I imagine there are physics and other factors involved, but essentially you are trying to achieve the optimal spin in the barrel that will keep the round spinning on it's own axis to achieve maximum accuracy.

This is where "Spin Drift" comes in. Some bullets that are spun correctly, like a .308 round at 500 yards, will have a negative effect from that same speed of rotation the longer it is in flight. At 1,000 yards or further a .308 round will experience Spin Drift where the round itself is generating enough motion to negatively affect it's accuracy.

Once again, it's all a balancing act. Spin it too fast, you lose accuracy, don't spin it enough, you lose accuracy, spin it correct at one distance and lose accuracy at a much further distance.

That is why long range shooting is one of the hardest things to do. There are so many variables that it's mind boggling.

Just a quick point on this significant variability; a member of my club only had to sprinkle a few extra flakes of powder when reloading her .223 cartridges to make a noticeable difference to eventual accuracy. Could hardly believe that something so seemingly incremental could have so much effect, downrange.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 08-09-2010, 03:21 AM   #118
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Rate of twist 5.56/.223 in an AR platform?

Mine have a 1:9 twist, seldom shoot over 100 yards and never had issue with keyholing with heavier bullets. I've been told/read several times that for a heavier bullet I need a different twist. What's your thoughts?

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:50 AM   #119

Special purpose rifles often have uncommon twist rates. For example, if you are building a varmint rifle and want to shoot the short 35 grain, 40 grain, and 50 grain bullets, a 1:12, or even 1:14 twist would be best. On the other hand, long range High Power shooters often select 1:8, 1:7.7, 1:7, or 1:6.5-twist barrels to stabilize the long 77, 80 and even 90 grain bullets used for 1,000 yard competition. Additionally, new testing of heavier rounds (68-77 grains) seems to show that they perform very well in simulated tissue and may be a better defensive choice than 55 grain or 62 grain rounds. The majority of shooters, though, typically shoot bullets of 50 to 69 grains in weight (note that the 62gr SS-109/M855 bullet is as long as a 71 grain lead core bullet) and should select 1:9 twist barrels. At typical .223 velocities, a 1:9 twist will stabilize bullet lengths equivalent to lead-core bullets of 40 to 73 grains in weight

Old 08-09-2010, 05:14 AM   #120
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Hey Skull, here's a comparison of Mosin receivers for you:

Mosin Nagant Receivers and Miscellaneous Parts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams