Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Free Pass on Stupid "?" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #101
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 291 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Ladies love the dud. I can chamber it over and over, ALL...NIGHT...LONG!!!
Well played, sir...

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #102
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8421 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Quote:
Why are salmon so lonely?
Has to do with their breath.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #103
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I was given a dozen rounds of this 7mm mag. The photo makes it look like a copper jacket but I think it's steel? Has a lead point...soft point? The base says norma 7mm rem mag. Must to be at least 20 yrs old.

So do I shoot them through my Husky at the range?
Save them for hunting or SHTF ammo?
Or toss em out?
Many european rifle bullets are cupro-nickel jacketed. These often look silverish and will be slightly attracted to a magnet. They are safe to shoot. Steel jacketed soft point would be a very weird paradox indeed.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-07-2010, 12:31 AM   #104

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why is the nomenclature of so many rounds misleading. For example:

480 Ruger = .475
460 S&W magnum = .452
454 Casull = .452
44 magnum = .429
38 Special = .357
380 auto = .355

and they're still doing it with new ammo:

327 Federal Magnum = .312

And I could go on and on, but you get the point. I really want to know why?
Why didn't they just call it a 429 Remington Magnum?

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 08-07-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #105
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2655 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
Why is the nomenclature of so many rounds misleading. For example:

480 Ruger = .475
460 S&W magnum = .452
454 Casull = .452
44 magnum = .429
38 Special = .357
380 auto = .355

And I could go on and on, but you get the point. I really want to know why?
Why didn't they just call it a 429 Remington Magnum?
Older cartridges used the casing (not the bullet) for measurement. It used to be the the bullet had a smaller base and could fit inside the casing, the ogive and sides of the bullet measured the same as the case. .38 Special casing is approx. .380, and the same with the .44 mag. Some manufacturers continue the measurement of the case today.
the bullets for the 10mm and the 38-40 are the same diameter, but the casings are different.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #106

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

^^^ Thank you danf_fl

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 08-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #107

Liked 1677 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

What is M.O.A. I understand that it is "minute of angle" or something like that. But what does it mean? I am talking about the reference people use when they are talking about tight groups.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #108

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
What is M.O.A. I understand that it is "minute of angle" or something like that. But what does it mean? I am talking about the reference people use when they are talking about tight groups.
A SUB-MOA gun would shoot a less than 1" grouping at 100 yds.

The exact measure of MOA is 1.0471996" at 100 yards of distance. MOA is a quadratic effect so 1" of MOA at 100 yards would equate to .5235998" at 50 yards, 2.0943992" at 200 yards, 3.1415988" at 300 yards and so on.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/accuracy-not-linear-25854/#post267325 << Click Here

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f65/moa-16273/#post136561 << Click Here

From Shooting Times

Minute Of Angle

Ask most shooters to define minute of angle (MOA) and you'll probably elicit the reply, "It's an inch at 100 yards."
By Hugh Birnbaum

Ask most shooters to define minute of angle (MOA) and you'll probably elicit the reply, "It's an inch at 100 yards." A purist overhearing this will almost certainly chime in with a smug correction to the effect that a minute of angle is really 1.0471996 inches at 100 yards, but if you're numerically challenged and ask nicely, you may round it off to 1.05 inches. As a lifelong nitpicker, I admire the precision the purist brings to the party, but as a shooter I think I'll stick with a simple, useful, rounded-down inch. After all, even at 1000 yards the additional decimals don't quite add up to a half-inch. I, for one, cannot hold close enough at that distance for the discrepancy to matter.

The jaws of the caliper indicate the formal value of minute of angle (MOA) at 100 yards, 1.0471996 inches, allowing for vagaries of operator interpolation and mechanical tolerances. The ruler shows 1 inch, the commonly accepted value of MOA at 100 yards.
The MOA is a useful tool for shooters because it varies in direct proportion to distance. Our nominal inch at 100 yards is a half-inch at 50 yards, 2 inches at 200 yards, 3 inches at 300 yards, and so on. This makes it possible to calibrate adjustments for range and windage on precision iron sights and optical sights in easy-to-use standardized increments of fractional and whole MOA.

A typical hunting scope is likely to have adjustment dials click-stopped and marked at minor intervals of 1/4 MOA with major calibration marks at 1 MOA intervals. A high-power scope for benchrest, target, or varmint applications may have 1/8 MOA adjustment capability. And it's not unusual for red-dot handgun sights to have coarser adjustment intervals of 1/2 MOA or so for convenience at typically shorter handgun distances.

Not all scope adjustments hew to the familiar 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 increments. European optical sights usually feature MOA increments attuned to the metric system. A case in point is the Zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24X 72mm long-range model, which has 1/5 MOA clicks that correspond neatly to a 0.5cm shift in point of aim at 100 meters. Closer to home, I have, and still happily use, an aging Burris pistol scope that was made with 1/6 MOA adjustment intervals.

Most optical sights have adjustment drums or dials marked with click values. The high-power target scope (L) is clicked at 1/8 MOA intervals while the 1.5-6X hunting model (R) has 1/4 MOA clicks. The tiny dial of the red-dot pistol sight (B) is unmarked, but the owner's manual indicates a click value of about 1/2 MOA. As a rule, finer adjustment increments are useful for long-range or high-precision shooting, with coarser clicks easier to live with in close-range, less finicky applications.

Most optical sights have adjustment drums or dials marked with click values. The high-power target scope (L) is clicked at 1/8 MOA intervals while the 1.5-6X hunting model (R) has 1/4 MOA clicks. The tiny dial of the red-dot pistol sight (B) is unmarked, but the owner's manual indicates a click value of about 1/2 MOA. As a rule, finer adjustment increments are useful for long-range or high-precision shooting, with coarser clicks easier to live with in close-range, less finicky applications.
Most optical sights have elevation and windage dials marked with the click values to reduce confusion. If you have a sight that doesn't indicate the adjustment increment, write the click value on a self-stick label or snippet of tape and stick it on the sight or firearm. A day will come when you'll be glad you did.

When you shop for an optical sight, make sure the models you consider have MOA click values consistent with your shooting needs. Fine adjustment increments benefit fiendishly precise benchrest and varmint shooters. Coarser clicks are more practical for less hypercritical pursuits.

Personally, I spent a year being driven to distraction shooting high-power rifle silhouette with an otherwise excellent scope that had 1/8 MOA clicks. The elevation drum provided 71/2 MOA per one full turn. I needed 12 MOA from the chicken setting to the ram setting, a trip from 0 for the chicken through a full turn past 0 to 41/2 on the scale for the ram. I trained myself to wind down to the chicken 0 immediately after shooting rams to avoid utter confusion. I finally gave up and replaced the scope with one clicked at 1/4 MOA intervals with 15 MOA per full turn of the drum. A bit of forethought in initial scope selection would have spared me considerable agita. Live and learn.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #109

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
1" at 100 yards is considered to be One M.O.A. It's actually a little larger than that, by the numbers, but for the sake of discussion, when someone is talking about 1/2 M.O.A. they are talking one half an inch for every 100 yards.

Thus, a rifle that shoots a 1", 3 or 5 shot group ( three is most common, 5 is more accurate ) at 100 yards would be a 1 M.O.A. rifle.

A 1" group at 200 yards, would be a 1/2 M.O.A. and would be considered great accuracy. A 2" group at 200 yards would still be a 1 M.O.A. rifle.

A 1" group at 400 yards, would be 1/4 M.O.A. and would be considered exceptional accuracy. A 4" group at 400 yards would still ne a 1 M.O.A. rifle.

Does that make sense?

Old 08-08-2010, 04:54 AM   #110
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 291 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Thank you all for the MOA discussion. I was wondering about that myself but didn't think to ask it here.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.