Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Free Membership to FTF...Click Here

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergopher View Post
if you're goin' to ...extract waste... Near your closest water stream, always do it down range and away from your camp.
# 10............
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LegatoRedrivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 222
Default

How many posts do we get? And what exactly is our survival situation?

I used to love playing the worst case scenario survival game...

How about #11 :

After a nuclear explosion, you should stay sheltered for six days, after which time you may come out for under 30 minutes a day for the next 13 days. Any animals caught after the explosion can be eaten after they are carefully skinned, as long as you avoid all meat that is close to the bone. You can clean radiation from your own body without water by digging a hole and rubbing your body with dirt.

Okay, those tips are useless unless you find yourself in that specific situation. So I'll also go ahead and add:

#12 :

When dealing with unfamiliar and possibly poisonous wildlife, birds are generally less likely to be uneatable. The tongue, eyes, and brains of most animals are generally eatable. If winter is approaching, you can tan your own hides in the wild by soaking the hide in water, smashing the animal's brains into a thick solution, and working it into the hide before drying.

More to come as I remember and have time. Think...think...

__________________

Last edited by LegatoRedrivers; 04-14-2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: spelling
LegatoRedrivers is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:01 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 192
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I'm not much on wilderness, but here are a few urban/suburban tips:

  • 2 or 3 Stars Means "Crappy"
  • Beware of making reservations online for unseen places
  • Check apartmentratings.com before you rent
  • Assume any alligator you can see from your car is being fed by a bunch of rednecks.
  • If the clerk is behind plexiglass, you might want to pick a better store.
  • If you hear banjoes, pass on the canoe trip!
__________________
GatorDude is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:44 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JoeCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 80
Default

Here are a few:

Bigger branches typically grow on the south side of trees, so if you are in the woods in the dark, and you can't see the moon as mentioned in a previous post, you may be able to ascertain which direction is south by looking at the branches.

Potassium Iodide can protect you in the event of heavy radiation exposure.

you can use the tip of an aloe vera plant as a needle and the connected fiber strands as suture to sew wounds.

Major bleeding from an extremity can be stopped with approriate pressure at the artery leading to the limb (google the anatomy of these vessels: Axillary artery, brachial artery, and femoral artery. I could describe where to put the pressure, but you'll remember it better if you look it up yourself). Importantly, you can completely occlude blood flow to a limb, safely, for about 2 hours. After that time, allow the limb to reperfuse (it will hurt like hell) for about 15 min (and yes, you will bleed like stink during this time) then reapply pressure. The pressure has to be accurately placed and with enough force to overcome the blood pressure, which can be a lot.

A little hole in the chest (a clean bullet wound, or a stab from a knife or branch) can kill you if you develop a "tension pneumothorax." That is when the chest trauma has damaged the lung tissue so that with every breath you take, air escapes your lungs and gets trapped in the space between your lungs and your chest wall. Very quickly, esp if you are hyperventilating (not uncommon with painful injuries), you can build up enough air in your chest to displace the heart from its natural setting, causing a disruption of the blood flow leading to it, and therefore, death. This is avoidable by inserting a tube, perhaps from a pen that you have taken apart, into the wound to allow the air to escape easily.

That's all for now, I will write more later, if anyone finds this info helpful.

JoeCool

__________________
JoeCool is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:18 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dunerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florence, Oregon
Posts: 8,481
Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Build a shelter and make fire. A fire and smoke can be seen for miles and a shelter will help keep you warm and dry until help arrives. Scout around to locate water and probable food sources. Go through your pack and pockets and determine what tools you have for survival. As mentioned, hope you brought a knife!! Conserve your food and water if you have any and keep the fire going without starting the entire wilderness ablaze.

__________________
dunerunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegatoRedrivers View Post
How many posts do we get? And what exactly is our survival situation?
Number of Post: As many post as you want, but let's try to keep them to a DIY/How-To type of post, rather than just saying something like "Stay warm and find food." Your's was fine, BTW.

Situation: Any imaginable situation after a SHTF/Armageddon event. Could be that you're forced to live in the woods to avoid zombies, or living in/defending your home with no power and it's unsafe to venture out. Maybe as LegatReddrivers mentioned, it's a post nuke situation. Or whatever.

I'm sure everyone has their own idea of the most probable SHTF situation that could arise, and have at least thought about what they would do in response. Now, try to think of the stuff you might have to deal with that you wouldn't have to deal with in normal/pre-Armageddon life.

Or, it cold just be a hunting/camping trip gone wrong, or a plane crash in the wilderness, etc. etc. etc.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
I'm not much on wilderness, but here are a few urban/suburban tips:
  • 2 or 3 Stars Means "Crappy"
  • Beware of making reservations online for unseen places
LOL. I don't think restaurant issues count. That's what 911 is for now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
Bigger branches typically grow on the south side of trees, so if you are in the woods in the dark, and you can't see the moon as mentioned in a previous post, you may be able to ascertain which direction is south by looking at the branches.
Tip # 13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
Potassium Iodide can protect you in the event of heavy radiation exposure.
Tip # 14.
I'm intrigued. Protect you how? Is it something you ingest or rub on your skin? Where do you get it? What's it normaly used for? How does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
you can use the tip of an aloe vera plant as a needle and the connected fiber strands as suture to sew wounds.
Tip # 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
Major bleeding from an extremity can be stopped with approriate pressure at the artery leading to the limb (google the anatomy of these vessels: Axillary artery, brachial artery, and femoral artery. I could describe where to put the pressure, but you'll remember it better if you look it up yourself). Importantly, you can completely occlude blood flow to a limb, safely, for about 2 hours. After that time, allow the limb to reperfuse (it will hurt like hell) for about 15 min (and yes, you will bleed like stink during this time) then reapply pressure. The pressure has to be accurately placed and with enough force to overcome the blood pressure, which can be a lot.
Tip # 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool View Post
A little hole in the chest (a clean bullet wound, or a stab from a knife or branch) can kill you if you develop a "tension pneumothorax." That is when the chest trauma has damaged the lung tissue so that with every breath you take, air escapes your lungs and gets trapped in the space between your lungs and your chest wall. Very quickly, esp if you are hyperventilating (not uncommon with painful injuries), you can build up enough air in your chest to displace the heart from its natural setting, causing a disruption of the blood flow leading to it, and therefore, death. This is avoidable by inserting a tube, perhaps from a pen that you have taken apart, into the wound to allow the air to escape easily.
Tip # 17.

Great stuff, Joe!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jesse17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,471
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Build a shelter and make fire. A fire and smoke can be seen for miles and a shelter will help keep you warm and dry until help arrives. Scout around to locate water and probable food sources. Go through your pack and pockets and determine what tools you have for survival. As mentioned, hope you brought a knife!! Conserve your food and water if you have any and keep the fire going without starting the entire wilderness ablaze.
Good advice. We'll Call this Tip # 18.

Any tips on how to start a fire? What about improvising a knife if you don't have one in your pack?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmszbi View Post
"Be polite to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them".
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000
Jesse17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LegatoRedrivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 222
Default

Allrighty, humbly submitted for your approval:

#19

Legato's Ultimate SHTF Guide to Proper Hydration

A normal adult male should drink about six pints of water per day, but can survive on one. But how does one get clean drinking water once your reserves have run dry and your water chip has malfunctioned?

First off, a few tips on water purity, as water won't do you much good if it isn't clean and drinkable.

You can filter your own water by filling a sock with sand and small crushed rocks. Pour the water through, and hope you picked a clean sock. :-)
Most know that you can purify water by bringing it to a high boil for a few minutes, but water can also be purified using bleach (I.E. if you can't set a fire or wish to avoid giving away your position). Add about 2 drops of bleach per quart of water, and let it stand in the open for a half an hour. Just make sure you don't add too much bleach. Once you have your drinking water, you can help to prevent bacterial growth by dropping a piece of silver in it. Silverware works, but make sure it's pure silver.

In the wilderness, look to the birds. A flock of birds circling during the day is likely to be circling over a body of water. Game trails will obviously often lead to water, and once different animal trails begin to merge onto one path, you're probably getting close. Ponds are common in low lying areas, so heading downhill can be a good move; and if all you find is a dry riverbed, you can often find water about 3 feet below ground near a bend.

If all else fails, you can collect dew for drinking by sponging up the dew with an absorbent material, then squeezing the water into a container, or directly into your mouth. You can also place a plastic bag over the leaves of a tree branch. If the weather is warm, the plant will "sweat" water into the bag.

When in the desert, you can get water from many species of cacti by cutting it open and squeezing the pulp directly into your mouth.

If searching for water in a jungle environment, avoid water from rivers and streams if at all possible, as they may contain harmful bacteria or parasites. Instead, gather dew from leaves; or hack out a section of vine, particularly the Aqua di Sipio vine, and drink the fluid from that. If you must drink from a lake or stream, you can combat intestinal parasites by eating the tobacco from one and a half cigarettes.

If lost at sea, head downwind. This will often lead you to rain, which can be collected for drinking. In colder environments, look for old sea ice; it is bluer and more brittle than new ice, and will contain less salt. You can also gather moisture by catching saltwater fish, then sucking the water from their eyes and spine.

And, as a last resort when there is no drinkable water around, you can actually use undrinkable water to hydrate yourself. By using that water to give yourself an enema (let's stay adult about this, folks), you can at least keep your intestines hydrated. Hopefully you'll find something drinkable tomorrow...

__________________

Last edited by LegatoRedrivers; 04-14-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: I really should proof-read [I]before[/I] I hit post...
LegatoRedrivers is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
free NRA membership mwsfarm The Club House 29 12-16-2012 08:51 PM