Free Membership to FTF...Click Here
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Free Membership to FTF...Click Here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Free Membership to FTF...Click Here

Ok, here's the rules...
Post your best survival tips in this thread. When we get to 100 tips, we'll vote on the best one, and I'll pay that poster's membership for their next year. Also welcomed here are comments about variations on these tips, or comments debunking them. Let's have fun with this!

I'll go first...
The Floating Needle/Compass...
Take a cup of water, drop a piece of bathroom tissue or other really absorbent material on the surface.

Before it gets waterlogged and sinks, drop a sewing needle (or other small piece of ferrous metal) on the piece of paper.

When the paper sinks (you may need to coach it to sink with a couple of twigs) surface tension of the water will allow the needle to float (as long as you don't get ANY water on top of the needle).

Free from friction, the needle will align it self in the N and S magnetic direction. The needle doesn't care which way it faces, so you have a 50/50 chance of guessing which way is North and which way is South, but it will give you a good reference point.

EDIT: As pointed out by dnthmn2004, you have to find a way to magnetize the needle first. He suggested rubbing the needle in one direction with a piece of silk. I laid the needle across a 9 volt battery until it started to glow.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Last edited by Jesse17; 04-10-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2009, 05:56 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
How to find out how many hours of sunlight are left.

1.Hold your hand horizontally so that your arm is parallel with the ground.

2.Tuck in your thumb ,hold your hand at the bottom of the sun.

3.Each hand width is APPROXIMATELY 1 hour of sunlight.
Ok, we're up to 2 entries! (This message moved from the original thread.)
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Last edited by Jesse17; 04-10-2009 at 06:06 AM.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Hypothermia (low body temperature has killed more people than starvation or thirst. It happens when your body loses heat faster than it can make it. Shivering is an uncontrolled reflex response to lowered temperatures- your body is attempting to make additional heat. Hypothermia can develop at temperatures far above freezing, and is worsened by things that draw heat from the body- moisture and wind being very high on the list.

One of the first steps should be to get out of the wind. Anything that can block air flow- a large rock, a tree trunk, etc. Evergreen branches can make an effective windscreen. Be careful about removing wet clothing unless you have dry clothing to replace it- even wet, it can help retain some heat if you can limit wind caused evaporation. Wool is one of the few fabrics that will retain heat well even when wet.

The part of your body most vulnerable to heat loss is your head. If your feet are cold, it may be due to your head- cover your head with anything to limit heat loss- hood, hat, bandanna, plastic, or any natural material you can find. You may not be stylish, but you'll live that down later.
Ok. We're up to 3 entries. (This message moved from the original thread.)
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Cary a candle with you when in the back country. Even if you have matches that will light while wet, they will only burn for a VERY short time.

If you are in a wet environment, a match (or 10) won't burn long enough to dry out your kindling. However, even a small birthday candle will burn for 20 min. or so. That's enough time and heat to dry out a pile of kindling, and ignite it, which will in turn dry and ignite your firewood.
OK. We're up to 4 entries. (This message moved from the original thread.)
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I still say don't eat yellow snow

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 04-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
I still say don't eat yellow snow
Good advise, but not always true. Didn't you see that Super Bowl commercial for for Miller (I think) where the two guys are walking through a snow covered park. They suddenly dive to the ground and start eating yellow snow. Then the camera pans up and you see that they are following a guy carrying a leaking keg of beer?

PS. Your tip still doesn't count.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know in my part of the county the bottom point on the crescent moon always points south. I think this holds true for all of North America. The only problem is if you get lost, the night has to be clear and the moon has to be in this phase.

This is why I always carry two compasses when traveling in the wilderness. I carry two compasses to reassure myself self that the first compass is correct and I am wrong. More than once I thought I knew better than my compass.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #8

I stole this one from survivor man but I thought it was pretty ingenious. First you fill a large container with salt water or green vegetation. Then you place a cup or whatever you have on hand in the center. Next you cover with plastic and place a rock or weight over the cup. As the condensation collects on the plastic gravity pulls it down the plastic to drip into the cup. Granted I don't think you are going to much water from this and it would take a while to work, but a pretty cool idea anyway.
Clay

From his last and possibly best movie "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
John Wayne

Old 04-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
I know in my part of the county the bottom point on the crescent moon always points south. I think this holds true for all of North America. The only problem is if you get lost, the night has to be clear and the moon has to be in this phase.

This is why I always carry two compasses when traveling in the wilderness. I carry two compasses to reassure myself self that the first compass is correct and I am wrong. More than once I thought I knew better than my compass.
Tip # 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay454 View Post
I stole this one from survivor man but I thought it was pretty ingenious. First you fill a large container with salt water or green vegetation. Then you place a cup or whatever you have on hand in the center. Next you cover with plastic and place a rock or weight over the cup. As the condensation collects on the plastic gravity pulls it down the plastic to drip into the cup. Granted I don't think you are going to much water from this and it would take a while to work, but a pretty cool idea anyway.
Clay
Tip # 6

We're on our way now!
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #10

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Good advise, but not always true. Didn't you see that Super Bowl commercial for for Miller (I think) where the two guys are walking through a snow covered park. They suddenly dive to the ground and start eating yellow snow. Then the camera pans up and you see that they are following a guy carrying a leaking keg of beer?

PS. Your tip still doesn't count.
mmmm....beer flavored snow cone.....that changes everything

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"