You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Free light show!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 02:06 AM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14769 Times on 6208 Posts
Likes Given: 2449

Default Free light show!

Coming soon to a dark night sky near you-

The one and only Perseid Meteor Shower! One night only, August 11-12. Show will begin (weather permitting) just prior to 2400 hours on 11 August, immediately following Moonset.

This year's show, brought to you free of charge by God's Own Fireworks (LLC) is expected to be a good one. The meteor shower consists of debris left by the Swift-Tuttle comet- and the position of our neighboring planet Jupiter (played by Orson Welles) will pull additional stellar dust into the path of the Earth, resulting in an increased number of meteor light streaks.

For those that do not get out much, and have not been attendant at earlier organic light shows- no telescopes or binoculars are needed. A lawn chair, bug repellent, and a dark sky to your East are all that are needed. Cameras should NOT be on flash setting (you are attempting to photograph light itself).

Adult beverages and consenting adult partners are optional. While the light show will NOT look like the Millennium Falcon going into hyperspace, it is anticipated that around 200 meteors per hour will be visible at the peak of the show.

Reservations are not required, recommended or accepted.

Void where prohibited or taxed.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2016, 02:11 AM   #2

Liked 308 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 250

I'm looking forward to it.

dango Likes This 
Old 08-07-2016, 02:13 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1843 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I'll be watching!
dango Likes This 
Old 08-07-2016, 03:02 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 9111 Times on 4590 Posts
Likes Given: 36516

I love that stuff . Thanks for the heads up !

Old 08-07-2016, 04:49 AM   #5
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 11428 Times on 6771 Posts
Likes Given: 17016

My son and granddaughter will be here visiting. We'll have to check it out.
dango Likes This 
Old 08-07-2016, 05:39 AM   #6

Liked 5994 Times on 2990 Posts
Likes Given: 1830

I saw that at the park entrance to Zion.
Hopefully I'll be in Bryce Canyon or the Grand Canyon for the show.

CNN IS FAKE NEWS

The media is the enemy of the American people
dango Likes This 
Old 08-07-2016, 05:48 AM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14769 Times on 6208 Posts
Likes Given: 2449

About 6 years ago, on the Perseid anniversary, I had a night flight, nonstop Boston to Richmond VA. Scheduled wheels up at 11:35 PM. Spoke to flight deck crew, reminded them of the shower. Sat on the port side of aircraft, window seat- watched the show from 35,000 ft- absolutely marvelous view with cabin lights turned down.

When we landed Cpt and First Officer were waiting when I deplaned- with big grins. The 3 of us were the only souls aboard with any idea that anything was going on outside.
People Like This 
Old 08-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #8

Liked 2369 Times on 1354 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
About 6 years ago, on the Perseid anniversary, I had a night flight, nonstop Boston to Richmond VA. Scheduled wheels up at 11:35 PM. Spoke to flight deck crew, reminded them of the shower. Sat on the port side of aircraft, window seat- watched the show from 35,000 ft- absolutely marvelous view with cabin lights turned down.

When we landed Cpt and First Officer were waiting when I deplaned- with big grins. The 3 of us were the only souls aboard with any idea that anything was going on outside.
I would love to attend but we haven't had a clear night since the end of June. I suppose it will happen without me.

I do remember either this or another similar event in either 1968 or 69. It was on a crisp cold winter night with not a cloud in the sky. I had taken my girlfriend home date home and we were standing by my car watching the most amazing light show I had ever seen. I haven't seen one like that since.

Carl Sagan
dango Likes This 
Old 08-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #9

Liked 781 Times on 395 Posts
Likes Given: 797

Will look forward to it. Thanks! Unfortunately, weather has seldom cooperated for these events for the past several years and when it did, there wasn't much of a light show...Hopefully, this year will be different in both respects!
dango Likes This 
Old 08-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #10

Liked 348 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I would love to attend but we haven't had a clear night since the end of June. I suppose it will happen without me.

I do remember either this or another similar event in either 1968 or 69. It was on a crisp cold winter night with not a cloud in the sky. I had taken my girlfriend home date home and we were standing by my car watching the most amazing light show I had ever seen. I haven't seen one like that since.
yes this ^^^

For those of us that live in and around the gulf of Mexico in the summer, our opportunity to have a grand light show is limited at best...still, I saw some faint stars last night and maybe it will all work out.

My most memorable light show was a night fishing trip for walleye on Little Bay DeNoc many years ago in November...there was a meteor shower and the northern lights were dancing all night long...really an awesome show and I will never forget it...got down to 20 degrees that night too which helped visibility and chilled me to the bone!

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
-Albert Einstein

Last edited by Mouser; 08-07-2016 at 03:25 PM.
dango Likes This