Free gun magazine form 1960
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Free gun magazine form 1960

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Free gun magazine from 1960

I was looking online and I found this old gun magazine. http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1960issues/G0660.pdf

The prices make me want to cry.

M1 Garand-$79.95
Mosin Nagants 91/30-$14.95
US Army M1917-$29.95
Argentine Mauser-$19.95
Enfield Jungle Carbine-$24.95

7mm ammo (1000 rounds) for $10

(go to pages 34-35 of the pdf and you will see more)

I even saw cap and ball revolvers for $5-$7

__________________

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 01-19-2012 at 02:47 AM.
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,556
Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Default

Then you REALLY do not want to look at the reprint of the Sears catalog from around 1906.

Greener side by side shotguns for around $10.

__________________

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Then you REALLY do not want to look at the reprint of the Sears catalog from around 1906.

Greener side by side shotguns for around $10.
My grandmother had an original Sears catalog from that time frame.
Along with the Greeners, S&W revolvers :6-10 dollars Colt revolvers: 6-12 dollars

Along with myriad other guns that I don't recognize because they were way before my time.
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Erie County PA,
Posts: 2,496
Liked 1557 Times on 954 Posts
Likes Given: 7976

Default

Wow! Cheap guns, no waiting periods, no form 4473, just send your money and we'll ship it to your house! My elders are right, Those were the good ol' days!



Oh wait. What was the minimum wage in 1960, much less 1906?:

Kinda takes the shock out of it, don't it. If you take inflation into account, we are still paying about the same prices. Ten bucks is a fortune when you only make $.19 an hour.

Still a pretty cool download though.

__________________

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?


Last edited by kfox75; 01-19-2012 at 05:41 AM.
kfox75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Look at it this way, a nice tricked out Colt SAA would run around $10-15 dollars post civil war. A cowboy would have to save for sometimes a year or more to get one. Especially if he frequented the bars and brothels. I think going wages around that time for cowboy work was around 60 cents per day.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,556
Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Default

Inflation, wages, and the price of goods-

In 1900, you could pretty much buy a great Colt Single Action Army for a nice, shiny $20 gold piece.

In 2012, you can buy a great Colt Single Action Army for a nice, shiny $20 gold piece.

Here's a hint- neither the gold nor the gun changed. Dollars sure did.

__________________

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Wow! Cheap guns, no waiting periods, no form 4473, just send your money and we'll ship it to your house! My elders are right, Those were the good ol' days!



Oh wait. What was the minimum wage in 1960, much less 1906?:

Kinda takes the shock out of it, don't it. If you take inflation into account, we are still paying about the same prices. Ten bucks is a fortune when you only make $.19 an hour.

Still a pretty cool download though.
I did a google search. In 1960, the average family income of $5600. So I guess they are not as cheap as I though, but still.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Inflation, wages, and the price of goods-

In 1900, you could pretty much buy a great Colt Single Action Army for a nice, shiny $20 gold piece.

In 2012, you can buy a great Colt Single Action Army for a nice, shiny $20 gold piece.

Here's a hint- neither the gold nor the gun changed. Dollars sure did.
Yep, they sure did.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Look at it this way, a nice tricked out Colt SAA would run around $10-15 dollars post civil war. A cowboy would have to save for sometimes a year or more to get one. Especially if he frequented the bars and brothels. I think going wages around that time for cowboy work was around 60 cents per day.
The funny (or should I say sad) thing is, that same, exact gun would cost about a year's pay now. Especially if it was an early one.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
BATFE Form 4 aaron NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 2 01-26-2010 10:21 PM
Form 4? shotgunfrenzy NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 3 06-16-2007 03:23 AM