Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Fourth of July. Then and now.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default Fourth of July. Then and now.

The fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays. When I was a kid I remember having the big barbeque with friends and family. We had a pool and we swam all day. (wait 20 minutes after eating or you’ll drown) Then we’d all go to the park for a big public fireworks show. (oos and ahhs) Great times!

Now we always go out of town for the weekend. (The dog always runs away so now we just drive him). This year we’re going to the mountains for four days. Not the excitement of younger days but still one of my favorite holidays.

Any one else want to share their plans and or memories?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well I go out of town as well (I live in the boonies). I get to go swimming all day at a barbeque. We play horseshoes and other lawn games. All of the men and boys can't wait until its dark so we can start doing our fireworks! Lots of games and good times with family...

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #3

Every year big BBQ swimming / fishing on the lake behind the house. As soon as it was decently dark My father would break out the fireworks with me right behind him begging and pleading "can I light them? can I? can I? can I?" Until FINALLY! When he decided I had the brains not to blow my self up, I got the answer I had been waiting forever for. after me and the rest of the few kids in the area shot off the cheap stuff. We went down to the lake and watched the fathers shoot off the GOOD stuff.

This year there is a parade for the troops not to far away we will be attending, Then its off to the dear lease with the goods. There's 4 guys on there and so all in all there will be about 20 or so people.

BTW..
Looking at the receipts at the end of the day is all worth while seeing how excited kids get..

"complaints are really just others opportunities"

bring back W.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #4

As long as I don't blow myself or anyone else up, it's always a good Independence Day!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #5

Ah, the fourth of july...

The day when we celebrate the independence of our nation by blowing up a small part of it.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My apartment complex has a strict "No fireworks" rule. Nothing at all. I'm thinking I might rish it for one firework.

Edit:

That or I'll go Muslim on 'em and fire my guns in the air.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 06-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I usually get together with some friends & set off some fireworks (only 1 police warning so far) in Memphis. This year, i'll probably just go swimming at the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
My apartment complex has a strict "No fireworks" rule. Nothing at all. I'm thinking I might rish it for one firework.
Get a "saturn missile launcher" 100 shot version & extend that fuse. It'll be going for a few minutes, so you will have time to enjoy it after running & then looking innocent.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #8

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

My neighborhood has sounded like downtown Baghdad for near on a week. Mostly small stuff but come the 4th the dads get into the spotlight and we all enjoy the evening as the neighborhood falls into a band of scofflaws!

From my pool (and hot tub) we can watch two different city park professional shows. The fireworks look great reflected on the lake's surface.

It's been raining more than usual so I'm hoping for a clear evening.

Here's hoping everyone has a safe and fun holiday from the Canebrake homestead!

1fireworks.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

This year, we will NOT be going to enjoy the city's fireworks display. Instead, we will go to a friend's cottage up on Lake Ontario, shoot a lot, fish a lot, let the dogs run off-leash (illegal), drink adult beverages off private property (illegal), and set off all sorts of fireworks (very illegal).

In other words, we will be enjoying our independence.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
This year, we will let the dogs run off-leash (illegal), drink adult beverages off private property (illegal), and set off all sorts of fireworks (very illegal).

In other words, we will be enjoying our independence.
Sounds like we live in the same place.