You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Fountain Cokes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #11
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10880 Times on 6488 Posts
Likes Given: 16084

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Absolutely! Canned Coke is not my favorite. The small glass bottles are good, but super expensive. You know what the best option is? The big glass bottles of Mexican Coke. Yumm Walmart and another local food store chain sells them.
That's because the Mexican Coke has real sugar in it instead of Corn Syrup.

Actually, I think fountain Coke tastes the best. Just like a beer pulled from a draft tastes better than bottled beer. The fountain drinks are not processed to bottle or can it and you get a fresher taste. I think McDonald's has great fountain pop. And it's only $1.00. And the bacteria you are getting exposed to helps boost your immune system.
clr8ter Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #12

Liked 1146 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 246

If you buy Coke in a Jewish neighborhood, those bottlers use sugar, not corn sweeteners. Go figure?

Old 06-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8293 Times on 4265 Posts
Likes Given: 9560

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
If you buy Coke in a Jewish neighborhood, those bottlers use sugar, not corn sweeteners. Go figure?
Corn sweeteners arent Kosher! I dont care what anyone says, corn syrup doesnt taste the same as cane sugar. Both are too sweet for me, Im a diet drinker by choice, not because Im overweight, the others just taste sicky sweet!

Old 06-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #14

Liked 2023 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 403

Quote:
What? Really? I cannot believe Coke would put up with that.......Not only does it make them look bad, it cuts back on their margins. I was aware that was how it worked, though. It must be fairly easy to make it come out correctly. I was just not aware that anyone could adjust it, although I had my suspicions....

Ohhhhh, soooo thirsty......
The machines that dispense sodas need to be calibrated often. That usually doesn't happen.

Coke is working on maintaining quality with the new hi-tech machines to dispense soda.

The new machines that dispense fifty or so different sodas use really impressive technology.

Carl Sagan

Old 06-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #15

Liked 1618 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
The machines that dispense sodas need to be calibrated often. That usually doesn't happen.

Coke is working on maintaining quality with the new hi-tech machines to dispense soda.

The new machines that dispense fifty or so different sodas use really impressive technology.
^^^^^^^Is for the most part all true^^^^^

Coke is much more hands on with their machines but some store operators are just plain lazy or trying to max profits. Pe3psi does not pay near the attention to their machines. So it's up to the store operator to make sure it's set correctly.
Both providers give the store the tools and training needed to set their fountains.

The fountains are supposed to be calibrated to a 5:1 or 5.5:1 depending on the particular syrup being used. Most restaurants never do this or wont till they have to. A beverage fountain is supplied by a figel (tank) or the newer more prevalent box of syrup then buy CO2 form some local place and get their water from the public system. This can also have a lot to do with flavor. If the water is not filtered at all, not filtered properly due top lack of maintenance the beverages will taste off also. The beverage supplier provide the fountains in most instances and will maintain them but a driver that rather does not give a crap or a restaurant just does not want to spend the time usually means the fountain will not get any maintenance unless it breaks down. The latter is usually what happens. A soda fountain should be brixed (calibrated) weekly. If it is not then there will be problems. It required a few minutes of time and a brix cup. A cup with three openings. The center is to collect carbonated water the other two are to collect the syrup. Remove the fountain head and replace it with the head that separates the water and syrup. A adjustment screw can add or take away syrup asneeded. If the fountain is set right the level of CO2 water to syrup will be at the same level in the brix cup.

All that is for a machine that has a separate head for each beverage. The gun heads that dispense several form one head are calibrated at the valve to feed the product in the back.

I spend a good while as a food service employee. before I went back to school. I actually like the work a lot but it usually does not pay real well. Being I had went to school to be a chef (didn't finish though) and the plethora of experience I had jobs as everything form a kitchen mgr, store mgr, asst chef etc. I had to mess with those infernal machines all the time. It bothered the crap out of me when it was not set right. I have been a pop addict for many-many years I always wanted to open my own place (small home cooking place) but the damn spine is trying to say no to all that..But we'll see
I aint dead just yet.

Anyway..That's the deal with soda fountains. They are usually crap for two reasons. They have not been maintained or they are cutting back syrup to maximize profit. Though truth be told you maker a huge profit off sodas even with it set correctly. That gives you a glimpse into the mind of a store that sells weak pop to make a few extra pennies.

Here's a link to how it's done in case you're curious

http://www.boneville.net/soda/brix.htm

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 06-30-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added as link

Old 06-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #16

Liked 1345 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 860

That's the best explanation so far. Thanks I also am sorta addicted, and I would be the same way if I worked in a place like that.
Now. WOC mentioned McDonalds. As much as I'd rather no t goto that place, she's right. Much less often do You get a bad soda from one of those serve-yourself machines. Be it in BK McD, or whoever. Also, Pepsi (which I actually prefer) seems to be somewhat more reliable. Maybe it's because they're in very few restaurants, at least around here. There is a Mexican joint in town that serves Pepsi, and more often than not, it's good.
What brands are served in other parts of the country? In the NE, it's predominantly Coke. I know of 1 place, 5 Guys, that sells Mr. Pibb. Which is very good.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Also, Pepsi (which I actually prefer) seems to be somewhat more reliable.
Oh, no. It must be Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 06-30-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #18

Oh yeah, Dr Pepper is good, too. Also kinda hard to find around here.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
The Balota's
FTF_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Oh yeah, Dr Pepper is good, too. Also kinda hard to find around here.
Best of all.....Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #20

Ughh. Original Dr Pepper for me.