Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Fountain Cokes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/fountain-cokes-93129/)

clr8ter 06-30-2013 02:08 AM

Fountain Cokes

Can anyone explain: Why is Coke from the fountain at so many restaurants so $hitty? I would have to say 8 times out of 10, the Coke is not like what you get from a bottle or can. Now, Coke has their reputation riding, (you would think), partly on fountain sales, and they appear to make no effort to make sure their machines mix it right. Neither for some reason, do the restaurants. If I owned or ran a restaurant, I'd have someone checking that every 30 min or so, and more during really busy times.
Even though I'm tired of this, what is the point in sending it back? Not sure if the waitresses can adjust it or anything. If you mention it, they gladly take it back, but they look at you sort of strange, and like I said, what can they do on the spot? Can someone from the biz chime in and shed some light?

zaitsev44 06-30-2013 02:15 AM

I heard it was something about aspartame. Also the ratio of syrup to water to carbonation is sometimes off whereas bottles and cans are always perfect.

readygirl 06-30-2013 02:19 AM

I think, fountain, bottle, can, 2 liter, all taste different. But i dont drink much sody. Especially not from the fountain at a fast food joint. The pimple squishers that work there dont clean the machines properly. And independent labs have found that the water in their toilets have less bacteria than in their ice bins.........:(

Axxe55 06-30-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 1290796)
Can anyone explain: Why is Coke from the fountain at so many restaurants so $hitty? I would have to say 8 times out of 10, the Coke is not like what you get from a bottle or can. Now, Coke has their reputation riding, (you would think), partly on fountain sales, and they appear to make no effort to make sure their machines mix it right. Neither for some reason, do the restaurants. If I owned or ran a restaurant, I'd have someone checking that every 30 min or so, and more during really busy times.
Even though I'm tired of this, what is the point in sending it back? Not sure if the waitresses can adjust it or anything. If you mention it, they gladly take it back, but they look at you sort of strange, and like I said, what can they do on the spot? Can someone from the biz chime in and shed some light?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaitsev44 (Post 1290802)
I heard it was something about aspartame. Also the ratio of syrup to water to carbonation is sometimes off whereas bottles and cans are always perfect.

pretty much what Zaitsev44 said. the carbonated water is made from CO2 cannisters and mixed with the containers of syrup. where they are mixed, they can adjust the mix ratio. many of them mix a higher content of carbonated water to make the syrup last longer and maximize profits.

bottled drinks are mixed differently and much more controlled settings.

clr8ter 06-30-2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

pretty much what Zaitsev44 said. the carbonated water is made from CO2 cannisters and mixed with the containers of syrup. where they are mixed, they can adjust the mix ratio. many of them mix a higher content of carbonated water to make the syrup last longer and maximize profits.
What? Really? I cannot believe Coke would put up with that.......Not only does it make them look bad, it cuts back on their margins. I was aware that was how it worked, though. It must be fairly easy to make it come out correctly. I was just not aware that anyone could adjust it, although I had my suspicions....

Quote:

The pimple squishers that work there dont clean the machines properly. And independent labs have found that the water in their toilets have less bacteria than in their ice bins.........
Ohhhhh, soooo thirsty......

indy36 06-30-2013 02:48 AM

"the Coke is not like what you get from a bottle or can"

I find that the bottles, and especially the cans, taste like crap. The cans are the worst. The old school small glass bottles are the best. My grandmother always had those. So good. Cans though, gross.

indy36 06-30-2013 02:53 AM

Here in Indiana, fountain wise, White Castle has the best Coke. The BP gas stations with the Ricker's Polar Pop units are the worst.

clr8ter 06-30-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

I find that the bottles, and especially the cans, taste like crap. The cans are the worst. The old school small glass bottles are the best. My grandmother always had those. So good. Cans though, gross.
Absolutely! Canned Coke is not my favorite. The small glass bottles are good, but super expensive. You know what the best option is? The big glass bottles of Mexican Coke. Yumm Walmart and another local food store chain sells them.

Axxe55 06-30-2013 03:47 AM

i don't care what they say, cans add a metallic taste to drinks.:mad:

even plastic bottles are better than cans, but glass is the best.

chuckusaret 06-30-2013 05:00 AM

I only use coke to tint the Jim Beam:D