Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Forums that exclude you from membership based on your Email address

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Forums that exclude you from membership based on your Email address

Can anyone explain to me why certain forums will not accept your membership because of your email address? One forum that I would like to join is the Ruger forum. I was denied access because I use gmail for my ISP. I have run into the same thing on other sites.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #2

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've heard of this before (it may have been you who mentioned it), and the only thing I can say is this, I see more spammers, hackers, and all around a-holes frequenting my inbox using g-mail than any other email service.

I also have a g-mail, it's almost required with an android phone.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can understand that although I have not noticed a preponderance of gmail bad guys in my spams. I just want to be able to join some of these forums and I don't know what ISP's are acceptable. Do I have to set up a separate email account with Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. to be able to get in? what a PITA.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I tried to signup over at Rimfire Central I couldn't get it done because of some conflict between them and my juno.com ISP, so I signed up for a free account over at gmail.com and bada-bing I was in just like that.

That said, there are other free providers like yahoo, juno and hotmail that might work for you. You might try signing up for some of the other free one and see if any of them work for you at the forum you're having trouble with.

BTW, I don't remember ever receiving any spam at my gmail address.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Could it be because of privacy issues. Especially with google, they store EVERYTHING and sell most.

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think it's the same with AR15.com?

Old 02-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebramochaman View Post
Can anyone explain to me why certain forums will not accept your membership because of your email address? One forum that I would like to join is the Ruger forum. I was denied access because I use gmail for my ISP. I have run into the same thing on other sites.
gmail is fully anonymous so a lot of sites don't allow it as your only email address, because there's no connection to a real person (in the event you use their forum for illegal activity, for example, they don't want to be charged with being assessors.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebramochaman View Post
Quote:
Could it be because of privacy issues. Especially with google, they store EVERYTHING and sell most.
Exactly the opposite. gmail is fully anonymous so a lot of sites don't allow it as your only email address, because there's no connection to a real person (in the event you use their forum for illegal activity, for example, they don't want to be charged with being accomplices. With most email accounts (Hotmail, Yahoo and essentially all POP3 accounts) you can determine the sender's location (and often much more) simply by checking the header. Not true for gmail. That's one of the reasons gmail became so popular so quickly.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #9

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I had a yahoo email address until i got this android phone then they made me start a gmail account. Ive started missing my iphone

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #10

Liked 252 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I had a yahoo email address until i got this android phone then they made me start a gmail account. Ive started missing my iphone
you dont have to have a gmail account you just cant use the market if you dont. and you can configure your email app for yahoo mail

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin