Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjeep94

thats all I own I drive 40 miles each way to work I have 2009 jetta tdi get about 45mpg (hwy) in that, great little car.
Lol, I had a buddy find a late model Jetta. He said he felt like he won the lottery.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmaster207

Lol, I had a buddy find a late model Jetta. He said he felt like he won the lottery.
Yeah I was reluctant to buy it but the wife said I needed a good mpg car with how much I drive. I bought it new un june of 09 and already have 74k miles on it...

Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #13

Liked 281 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im looking for a family vehicle that will fit all my kids. From what ive read and heard the 7.3L was the best motor you can get in the excursion. And most of the ones ive seen online for sale have around 120xxx miles and they are going for $8-11,000 depending. Im in no rush to buy one, its gonna be a few months, but i want to start looking now and find the best deal i can. Even the gas mileage your talking is as good as my durango. But ive always wanted a diesel pickup but ive got to many kids and they wont fit in a pickup.. Im looking for one with a front bench seat, but no luck yet. Do any of you know common problems with them? Thanks.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk
Im looking for a family vehicle that will fit all my kids. From what ive read and heard the 7.3L was the best motor you can get in the excursion. And most of the ones ive seen online for sale have around 120xxx miles and they are going for $8-11,000 depending. Im in no rush to buy one, its gonna be a few months, but i want to start looking now and find the best deal i can. Even the gas mileage your talking is as good as my durango. But ive always wanted a diesel pickup but ive got to many kids and they wont fit in a pickup.. Im looking for one with a front bench seat, but no luck yet. Do any of you know common problems with them? Thanks.
I have never had any problem with any of my 7.3s change the oil every 6k fuel filter when needed and thats it, I had a turbo (boot seal?) Go out on one with 190k on it and a couple starters but thats it. I work on cars/and trucks everyday and regularly see them 300-400k miles and still run fine

Old 07-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Have you driven an excursion ? They are huge, for a daily driver no effin way IMO They ride like a small bus and its almost impossible to park them in a regular lot with the size of spaces today. If you want one to take trips and go with the family on the weekend then they are great. But to have one for a regular daily driver would be miserable.

As far as the 7.3, about all you will run into on avg is cam sensor, valve cover gaskets ( glow plug harness routes through them ) FICMs go bad but can be rebuilt. For the most part are bulletproof as long as you dont run the oil to long and change your f/f regularly.

AS far as the excursion itself, typical ball joints and drag link. Front axle u joints are a common weak point, as are the trunion bearings inside the front hub, front shaft support seal/bushing and 4X4 hubs. The rest of the driveline in those are pretty solid.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Had a 99 F-250 with a 7.3. Great truck (ex-wife has it). 20 mpg empty, 17 or so pulling a 28 ft gooseneck horse trailer w/4 horses and tack. Glow plugs took a dump at 80K, but otherwise ZERO problems.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #17

Liked 281 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im not worried about the size, before i bought my durango i drove a ram 2500 extended cab with an eight foot box. And that was my daily driver. But 9mpg wasnt cutting it so i bought my durango. Now my kids are a little older and have a new baby comeing in september. So a bigger vehicle is needed for my family.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #18

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Somebody tell me wtf a CUMMINGS diesel comes in?

I've had two Freighliner delivery vans with 24v CUMMINS diesels. Better fuel mileage than the powersmokers and the Navistars.

Better off the line and up to speed as well.

The first was a 99 with a a Spicer 5spd. Kept having to replace injection pumps and fuel pumps, then the Turbo ate **** and engine spun a bearing at 260k.

The second was a 2004 with an Allison 6spd auto. It was a beast. No problems .

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #19

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed

I've had two Freighliner delivery vans with 24v CUMMINS diesels. Better fuel mileage than the powersmokers and the Navistars.

The first was a 99 with a a Spicer 5spd. Kept having to replace injection pumps and fuel pumps, then the Turbo ate **** and engine spun a bearing at 260k.

Dodge is the standard consumer vehicle that uses exclusively Cummins engines. Others use it in some special application vehicles.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #20

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?