Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/ford-excursion-7-3l-diesel-68851/)

fupuk 07-24-2012 01:03 PM

Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel
 
Wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience with this vehicle? Im looking at getting one and ive been trying to read up on it. But there is nothing better than firsthand. Pros, cons, average MpG? Thanks everyone.

Retaks 07-24-2012 01:11 PM

Ive been lookin for one for over a year now. If its in decent shape and not too many miles get it. The 7.3 was the best diesel Ford ever had.

Rockjeep94 07-24-2012 02:02 PM

I have owned 2, they are great trucks both were lifted with 35" tires got between 14-17 mpg with banks pda programmers. Sold one with 190k miles other was totalled out at 285k miles now I have a f250 with 7.3 best motor around.

tellmaster207 07-24-2012 02:04 PM

I had a quad cab with the 7.3 it was a beast. I got 20 with it on the highway. You would get a little better with an Excursion. With the 7.3 I would try to find one with under 300,000 miles.

One of the problems if you get into diesels is the motor is fine but everything else on the truck is trash. If you get a low milage one expect to pay a premium.
I don't know if older is something that interest you but you can get an '80 Bronco with the 6.9 NON-turbo & it might run 1 million miles if you treat it good. (get neck brace).

Just as a side note I had an '85 ford Taurus with a 5 spd Mitsubishi diesel, I averaged 56 miles to the mpg. it had well over 600,000 miles. Hi mileage cars are much cheaper & easyier to work on than a 1 ton truck.

Rockjeep94 07-24-2012 02:39 PM

You will definetly not get better mpg with an excursion than a pickup... If you got 20 mpg with a crew cab 7.3 thats pretty amazing I dont know anyone with a ford 7.3 that gets that. The dodge 5.9 diesel 2002.5-2006? Can get more then 20. But a ford not likely, dont get me wrong I love them but they just dont get more than 17-18 for good hwy mpg

ktmboyz 07-24-2012 02:46 PM

The 7.3 is a great mill, very loud but will go the distance. The 6.0 was either or, you got a good one or a bad one. By now most of the faulty ones have been weeded out and replaced. The new 6.7 is great when they are running good and a real powerhouse.

tellmaster207 07-24-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockjeep94
You will definetly not get better mpg with an excursion than a pickup... If you got 20 mpg with a crew cab 7.3 thats pretty amazing I dont know anyone with a ford 7.3 that gets that. The dodge 5.9 diesel 2002.5-2006? Can get more then 20. But a ford not likely, dont get me wrong I love them but they just dont get more than 17-18 for good hwy mpg

I hear ya, my brother had a quad cab identical ad mine. He got 17 loaded or empty. I've always gotten a little better than average.

The Cummings gets better fuel milage but I never really warmed up to it. Honestly, it was probably cause it was a dodge. I had a wheel come of while I was Hauling a car behind me on dolly wheels. Never bought a Dodge after that.

You ever have a diesel in a car?

tellmaster207 07-24-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmboyz
The 7.3 is a great mill, very loud but will go the distance. The 6.0 was either or, you got a good one or a bad one. By now most of the faulty ones have been weeded out and replaced. The new 6.7 is great when they are running good and a real powerhouse.

I hated how loud the 7.3 were. I don't really know to much about the 6.0 personally but I heard there more like the Cummings & had some reliability issues.

ktmboyz 07-24-2012 03:03 PM

I don't have a ton of hands on, been to Ford school for them but never get to work on them. I have been at a ford dealer for 15yrs but we have a seperate truck shop for anythng larger than a 150. Done a few things on them at home but not too much. I hear a lot of truck shop guys crying about them and the 6.4 though, but being at a dealer we see all the broken ones lol

Rockjeep94 07-24-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tellmaster207

I hear ya, my brother had a quad cab identical ad mine. He got 17 loaded or empty. I've always gotten a little better than average.

The Cummings gets better fuel milage but I never really warmed up to it. Honestly, it was probably cause it was a dodge. I had a wheel come of while I was Hauling a car behind me on dolly wheels. Never bought a Dodge after that.

You ever have a diesel in a car?

thats all I own I drive 40 miles each way to work I have 2009 jetta tdi get about 45mpg (hwy) in that, great little car.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.