Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Football Thread-This is your HOME for discussions about FOOTBALL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #561
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2532 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

I have bit of a dilemma, I really like both teams. Of course back when the Seahawks were AFC west, I hated Denver. Though, in hindsight, I think it was mostly just Elway that inspired most of the hate. I miss the old AFC west rivalries. I don't feel that the current 49ers - Seahawks rivalry is even close to the old Raiders - Seahawks rivalry. If you only watched a few games all year, Seattle vs. Raiders in the King Dome was probably on your watch list. Those games were epic. Seahawks - Denver was similar but generally less intense.
I don't know what the official line is, but IMHO it's a coin toss. If Seattle's defense is on their game, it'll be a slug fest (If they aren't, it'll get ugly early.) That said, I suspect that it's very possible that the super bowl could look a lot like the recent San Diego - Denver game, which I really enjoyed. My W.A.G. would be 27 - 24 Denver. Which is fine, a close, hard fought super bowl would be a nice change.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #562
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

IMHO: Peyton is the greatest QB of my generation. Ring counters will always be nihilist. He allows the NFL films more access than most people could tolerate. The SB will rest on his arm - TD or Pic 6 - historically, he has done both in the "big game." NJ in January - really bad idea.

Brady: In almost every interview I have seen, he is a stand up guy w a type A personality and a competitive streak that won't quit. In NE, they call him "Tom Terrific" because during the Pat Dynasty Years - all he did was Win.

Belechick: He has one of finest defensive minds in the game. He also has the ability to get the most out of his players and he almost set the record to 500 wins. However, he either tolerates or fosters a "churn & burn" philosophy w players w military like percision. The NE faithful have an amazing ability to overlook or ignore the program's casualties as long as they have victories to crow about. The end justifying the means...

Seattle: Great team that has had "issues" w post season. If the weather turns foul and it becomes a run oriented game - they have the advantage. Too bad the press is hyping one players mouth vs the rest of the team's hard work. I don't blame him for comments "on the field" but when he got dressed up (suit) - after the game was over - & repeated his comments as if he was proud of putting foot in mouth. Not too smart

Old 01-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #563

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Pro Bowl today @7:30PM - what do you think of the new rules? They seem focused on spectators which I think is good with exceptions. Here they are:

New rules

Edited to more complete set of rules:

There are also several new rules in the game. Here are a few of them (via NFL.com):

The Pro Bowl has different rules from other NFL games to make the game safer.[16][17]

No motion or shifting by the offense
Offense must have a tight end in all formations
Offense may have 1 or 2 receivers on the same side
Intentional grounding is legal
Defense must run a 4–3 at all times, though the Cover 2 is permitted[11]
No press coverage except inside the 5-yard line
No blitz
Not allowed to rush a punt, PAT or FG attempt
No calls can be challenged
Teams trade possessions after each period (except at the start of 3rd period/3 OT, when the team that lost the coin toss has the choice to receive or defer to other team)
Kickoffs are eliminated (free kicks, too, after a safety)[11]
Teams will start on their own 25-yard line after any score or at the start of each period[11]
2-minute warning in every period
35-second play clock (rather than 40 seconds) to run plays
Clock won't stop on sacks outside last 2 minutes of regulation/4th overtime
Clock stops in last 2 minutes of each period when team with ball can't gain any yardage
44-player roster per team
Clock starts after incompletions on referee's signal outside last 2 minutes of 2nd period/2 OT or last 5 minutes of 4th/4 OT

In case of a tie after regulation, multiple 15-minute OT periods will be played (with each team receiving three time outs per two OTs), and teams receive one possession to score unless one of them scores a touchdown or safety on its first possession. True sudden death rules apply thereafter if both teams have had their initial possession and the game remains tied.

Who's your pick?

Team Jerry Rice or Team Deion Sanders

I'm going with Team Deion Sanders.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 01-26-2014 at 04:12 PM.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #564
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 132 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 135

I watched the first 5 minutes and turned it off. Really sucked. Not everybody is into Fantasy football, I don't understand it at all. Just like to keep it real, I guess.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #565
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 641 Times on 505 Posts

i saw it says many tickets are going unsold due to 2 unpopular teams playing.
is that true?

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 01-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #566

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
is that true?
I think it has more to do with it being out doors

Old 01-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #567
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2532 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
is that true?
It's not really about popular or unpopular. While one could possibly make an argument for lack of popularity for the Seahawks, it's much harder to make for the Broncos w/ Peyton Manning. IMHO, the lack of sales is from a number of factors. Additionally, popularity of anything depends on where you're standing.

1. They are western region teams with primarily western region fan bases. There is no offsetting eastern region team to help fill the stands. Most folks from Boston or Baltimore probably aren't ready to kill themselves to go. Another way to look at it, how many east coast fans would shlep out to an Oakland Superbowl for their teams? Some, sure, but the the distances will cause a drop in numbers.
2. It's in New Jersey. That's a pretty long haul for west coast people. Plus, even if you do make the trek, the reward for spending all the money needed to attend is... well, New Jersey. Even if you live there and love New Jersey, avoiding this Cluster F___ is probably high on your list. I can't imagine how much it must suck if you live nearby.
3. It outside in New Jersey, in winter. Paying $1K+ (for cheap seats) per person to freeze one's butt off is a hard sell for a lot of people when there are sports bars an easy drive from the house. There's a reason many cold weather cities build domes.
4. It's expensive and the economy hasn't exactly been booming, contrary to MSNBC and Jay Carney. 3 people: $3K+ for event tickets. $1500+ for flights. If you can find a room in the area, easily a couple hundred per night I'd guess. Transportation? Meals? Incidentals? Lets be honest, it's not something easily done by Joe Sixpack. Joe Sixpack on the left side of the country? Fugedaboutit.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-31-2014 at 05:24 PM.
John_Deer Likes This 
Old 01-31-2014, 05:55 PM   #568
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 641 Times on 505 Posts

its why i left the n.e.
theres nothing worth going there for. and the meadowlands isnt exactly heaven either. its just one big endless city with traffic.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #569

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts

I hear the complaints about the game being outside well Big flipping deal. Football is meant to be played in the weather. I remember growing up 70's and 80's watching the Redskins play in the mud and all. Such a shame the game is being sissified these days delaying games for weather and what not. I miss the old days of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #570
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert121571 View Post
I hear the complaints about the game being outside well Big flipping deal. Football is meant to be played in the weather. I remember growing up 70's and 80's watching the Redskins play in the mud and all. Such a shame the game is being sissified these days delaying games for weather and what not. I miss the old days of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
It's easy to wax on about Nostalgia - I'm a Viking's fan and all our games were played outdoors in the old days. While easy to reminese about - most people are not willing to spend 4 hours or more outside in freezing temperatures.

Remember, in the old days, you could sneak a bottle or two in with you and it would be overlooked as long as you behaved yourself. Thanks to the Terrorist, this is going to be much harder now.

The SB is supposed to be the culmination of festivities - the venue is supposed to have a little bit for everyone - even those who do not like the game.

Would like to know how NJ "hoodwinked" the nation into having it there in Feb ? the NFL used to play in Leather helmets, are we going to return to them as well in our play for nostalgia ? I'm sure there are some warm weather states that could use the revenue.