The Football Thread-This is your HOME for discussions about FOOTBALL - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

The Football Thread-This is your HOME for discussions about FOOTBALL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #101
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3390 Times on 2292 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1
Honestly fellas I've tried to watch your game of footy but it is 1 of the most confusing games I and a few mates have ever tried to watch and understand.

It looks like a cross between baseball, basketball and football with defensive and attack sides been subbed on and off and forward passes and referees stopping the game and calling fouls like basketball.

Yardage gained is easy enough to understand but to make a certain amount each time and then either run out or take the tackle, stop and form what amounts to a battle line and then go through the whole thing again while throwing a forward pass and own players tackling(defence of the quarterback etc attacking) I suppose is a bit strange to a lot of we Aussie's who are used to watching Rugby League or Union where the whole game is over in 80 minutes and with a lot less padding as well.

Not knocking your game but to a lot of us outsiders it's a strange game to watch or try to understand.
Ask some of your mates who have come here to play it! I'm sure they can explain it to you over a few Pints! If not, I give private lessons on how to understand the game,..starting at $35 American per hr. My regular fee for speaking to Groups starts at $500 an Hr. with 20% to charity, either the American Cancer Soc., American Heart Assn.,The Special Olympics, or the American Society for Autistic persons.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #102

Liked 1140 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert121571
The Redskins looked good against the Squealers last night. Loved every minute of it.

Also loved the Cowgirls game Saturday. 3 fumbles and 3 interceptions thanks for being sloppy Cowgirls.
Leave it to the Cowboys to generate 500 yards of offense and give the ball to the other team 5 times a game. I give it 3 weeks till Jerry Jones is on the sidelines wearing a headset! They make it so hard to be a Cowboys fan......
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25
I'm a die hard steelers fan, but this season will be rough. We got rid of most of our talent on both sides of the ball. Ben and Troy aren't getting any younger and healthier. I'm not confident about the Super Bowl but we have to at least beat the Ravens!
No no no! Say it ain't so! A Steelers fan? How are we supposed to be friends when you say something like that? :-)

My stepdad Is a huge steelers fan and is all the time buying steelers stuff for my oldest son. I keep telling him if he brings that stuff to our house I'll have to throw it out.

image-1190513866.jpg
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Last edited by TexasGunner; 08-20-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #104

I feel that the team issued gloves (as pictured below) could be to blame for the Cowboy's inability to hold onto the ball.....

image-3470728925.jpg

Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner
I feel that the team issued gloves (as pictured below) could be to blame for the Cowboy's inability to hold onto the ball.....
At least you can joke about it! I have several friends & a SIL who are "boys" fans. My SIL can tell you that even though I am "in the biz" a long time, My Office/Studio/Workshop is a shrine to the fact that we had Giants season tixx since my Grandpa had them in the polo grounds(late 1930's) I have a 1962 Div. title Ball signed by several Greats, a 1986 Ball given to me by the Then Giants PR director when I was recovering from Injury In Panama(Noriega decided to shell the command center and part of the roof just happened to fall on my head.) and a 2007 SB 42 3/4 sized Ball that all the Media got from the team (who were covering them at that time)
Plus I have this COWBOYS autographed ball that no one wants...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #106

Quote:

Leave it to the Cowboys to generate 500 yards of offense and give the ball to the other team 5 times a game. I give it 3 weeks till Jerry Jones is on the sidelines wearing a headset! They make it so hard to be a Cowboys fan......
Jerry's problem is Jerry! If he would just get off this"I'm the GM too" garbage and hire a GM,...which BTW is why Mr. Parcells left...

Old 08-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #107

Liked 876 Times on 457 Posts

Quote:

No no no! Say it ain't so! A Steelers fan? How are we supposed to be friends when you say something like that? :-)

My stepdad Is a huge steelers fan and is all the time buying steelers stuff for my oldest son. I keep telling him if he brings that stuff to our house I'll have to throw it out.
Your pic is funny. I used I hate football, I played hockey since i was 5. I played up until the semi-pro league level, at the time didn't value going to collage and passed up a scholarship to play. Then I washes up, and joined the Marines. I met my girl 15years ago. Her family is from the Burg. I didn't even like football at the time. I got hooked, I have only been watching them since 98", I know it's funny when Cowboy,49er, and Steeler fans talk about trophies with dust on them. It doesn't matter what you have done in the past , it's what you do now that counts. Although, out of the three I'm the only one to have a couple of rings this decade!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25

Your pic is funny. I used I hate football, I played hockey since i was 5. I played up until the semi-pro league level, at the time didn't value going to collage and passed up a scholarship to play. Then I washes up, and joined the Marines. I met my girl 15years ago. Her family is from the Burg. I didn't even like football at the time. I got hooked, I have only been watching them since 98", I know it's funny when Cowboy,49er, and Steeler fans talk about trophies with dust on them. It doesn't matter what you have done in the past , it's what you do now that counts. Although, out of the three I'm the only one to have a couple of rings this decade!
I played Both Hockey & Football until 16...Football coach told me " if you break your leg on the ice don't even bother coming in for summer camp" so that was the end of hockey for me....

Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #109
fmj

Liked 755 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Except Cousins got hurt so they BETTER Hope RGIII is ready for week 1....because i'm not sure how fast PAT WHITE can learn the Skins offense.
Didnt catch the play that put my man Kirk on the ground (was in class and didnt get to the house until the 2nd quarter) How bad is it?

I am a big fan of his...maybe not one of the most athletic players in the league...but quite possibly one of the smartest. One simply does not play Big Ten football and carry a 3.68 gpa in Kinesiology without having some serious grey matter. (i am in kinesiology now (bio mechanics) and its a headache to say the least) Not to mention a leader (one simply does not get named as a Big Ten football captain 3 years in a row without having some serious leadership skills) and a class act!

Grossman did a pretty good job as back up...but we know that wont last long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
Honestly fellas I've tried to watch your game of footy but it is 1 of the most confusing games I and a few mates have ever tried to watch and understand.

It looks like a cross between baseball, basketball and football with defensive and attack sides been subbed on and off and forward passes and referees stopping the game and calling fouls like basketball.

Yardage gained is easy enough to understand but to make a certain amount each time and then either run out or take the tackle, stop and form what amounts to a battle line and then go through the whole thing again while throwing a forward pass and own players tackling(defence of the quarterback etc attacking) I suppose is a bit strange to a lot of we Aussie's who are used to watching Rugby League or Union where the whole game is over in 80 minutes and with a lot less padding as well.

Not knocking your game but to a lot of us outsiders it's a strange game to watch or try to understand.
Just keep watching and ask questions...it comes easy to many of us here because we grew up with it. (I played from the time i could hold a ball, flag then 8 years of tackle)

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #110

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball

Except Cousins got hurt so they BETTER Hope RGIII is ready for week 1....because i'm not sure how fast PAT WHITE can learn the Skins offense.
Cousins will be fine, my bet is he plays next week.
RG is running with the 1's this week and I'd wager White will be on the practice squad and GROSSman will be the 3rd QB..
This is what I'm hoping anyways.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.