First Time Buyers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > First Time Buyers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First Time Buyers

I am a first time firearm buyer. A girl, need suggestions on what would be a good fit.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

The females in my family love my Sig Sauer P226. It is a 9mm. It is very accurate, reliable, low recoil, easy to clean, proven in battle and very sexy. If it is for the home/range get the P226, or the more compact Sig Sauer for concealed carry. Please look at this previous post.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/german-stamped-sig-sauer-p226r-92428/

Last edited by Jagermeister; 06-21-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Table of Warriors Placeholder
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7091 Times on 3878 Posts
Likes Given: 14290

Welcome to the forum. There are hundreds of guns and you will likely get votes for most of them. Visit a store and handle a bunch. Choose one that is comfortable and you feel able to operate.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The internet can't really answer your question as stated. For what purpose do you intend to use your first firearm? Do you plan on future firearms purchases? Answers to those questions will start to guide you in the right direction. Long gun, hand gun, shot gun, etc.

Next, you will at least have to hold some firearms to see how they fit, sort of like trying on clothes, but your life depends on it. If you get a chance to shoot firearms that fit your intended use, do so.

My wife recently purchased a handgun for home defense, before going to the store she said that she wanted something with a safety and that held a lot of bullets. She held several firearms in the store, many that I had suggested, but ended up going with one that I didn't even suggest. It worked out though, because I liked it so much I went out and bought the same model in .45 (hers is 9mm).

Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 475 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Welcome from Wisconsin. You should find a well stocked gun store and get a feel for how a gun will feel in your hand. Chances are one that feels natural when you grip it, will be a good one for you. It will all depend on the size of your hand, how big you are, your tolerance for pain (recoil) and noise. Shoot as many different kinds of guns you can. Don't forget to try out a good revolver. Good luck.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

robocop10mm Likes This 
Old 06-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3147 Times on 2139 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Default Welcome

Welcome! Everyone's hands are different! My wife has only 1 Auto,..It's a .22 Target(Browning) if i don't keep it clean and lubed for her her carpal Tunnel/Arthritis hands can't work the slide! forget about Shooting a Major caliber Auto! She sticks with Revolvers (Ruger LCR .38+p, Sp101 .357, and my Late Dad's Security Six). Last range trip we made a new friend at the range and we shot each others Guns..he has the SIG 238..which my Wife & I Both Put 5 rds. in the X at 10 Yds... and my Pal who is a recent returnee from Afganistan put a 1" hole in it at 10 Yds...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Being female, I suggest you get a good 22LR revolver. NOT a cheap taurus that kills your thumb just trying to use it in single action. But a Ruger, or Smith and Wesson. I prefer Smiths myself. One with a 4 or 6 inch barrel, and practice practice practice. Once you are confident and can hit targets with ease, graduate yourself and get a 9mm or bigger. I have and use all kinds of calibers, and will ocassionally use a 5 shot 38 special for concealed carry.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 06-21-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

Welcome! When you get a minute, stop by the intro thread and say hello.

I moved your thread over to the clubhouse, where you may get more answers (you were in section for News Media Stories)

As far as what would be a good fit? Usually about a size 8. Unless they are cut small.
(Just joking)

You have been given a lot of the same answer- namely- "It depends". And much of the advice will be based on what you want to do- self defense, home defense, plinking, 500 yard target shooting, skeet or deer hunting.

Would visit a range that (a) offers basic firearms training, and (b) rents guns for use on that range. Try them out, see what you like.

In GENERAL, for a first gun, I tend to suggest something in .22 LR, whether it is a handgun or rifle you seek. RELATIVELY inexpensive, very little recoil, and you will shoot it a LOT more than a .44 magnum.

So- what is it you want to do?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Welcome to the forum. There are hundreds of guns and you will likely get votes for most of them. Visit a store and handle a bunch. Choose one that is comfortable and you feel able to operate.
Fonzie is correct. you should test various guns and calibers. It is part of the fun. I normally give this suggestion, but this is not what people want to here. I use to go with first time buyers to the store, but not anymore with my busy schedule. Well, anyways test everything, then purchase the Sig.

The moderator has a good point. We need more info. A lot of women are buying personal defense rifles in the AR platform for the home. Low recoil, semi-auto with excellent magazine capacity. Pump Shotguns are excellent with devastating traumatic wounds. Yet, they have a heavy recoil, and require pumping a shell into chamber each shot.

Last edited by Jagermeister; 06-21-2013 at 07:26 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2862 Times on 1655 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

My uncle taught me a little about firearms when I was younger.

Since then (and after getting some training from a qualified instructor), I have figured out that my uncle was not so knowledgeable about firearms.

What I'm saying is "GET SOME QUALIFIED TRAINING". This will assist in determining what type of firearm is best for you.

Just like there are thousands of hammers for different jobs, so goes the firearms world.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 06-21-2013 at 08:15 PM.
axxe55 Likes This