Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   First shot gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/first-shot-gun-102677/)

dalefan88 01-12-2014 05:19 PM

First shot gun

Well I have 4 handguns, ar15, 3 22lr rifles. So now I'm thinking of adding a shot gun to the mix. Was looking at a mossberg 500 or a rock island m5. Then I went to my father in laws and he told me he wanted to sell his mka 1919. I love shooting it. So know I'm torn on what to get. My budget was about $400. Not sure he will sell it to me for that. It's probally got 250rds thru it and about 100rds of that is from me.

Gatoragn 01-12-2014 05:49 PM

Since you asked for opinions, my $0.02 follows.

If I only had one shotgun, an MKA 1919 would not be it. As a novelty or whatever, maybe so. I would choose a more utilitarian style for a first and only. As it will be your only shotgun until you add a second.

Tell pops in law you only have $400 and let him respond.

But we still have a few freedoms of choice left. So you make the call. :cool:

Of course, you could get both. By the Mossy and say hey pops, can I buy your shotty on an installment plan? :D

nchunt101 01-13-2014 03:54 PM

Look at a Benelli NOVa---They are ugly but are the toughest pump out there IMHO

glockfanboy 01-13-2014 07:29 PM

Just a few things to consider:

What are you gonna use the shotgun for. (Hunting, slugs, buckshot at the range?)
If you are simply gonna buy one gun, and you want something for home defense, hunting, and a range gun. With the mossy you can easily find spare barrels for different uses and they are easy to change (about 2 mins to change).

JW357 01-13-2014 09:43 PM

Glockfanboy asks the right question. What's your intended purpose?

How much recoil can you handle?

Etc etc.

dalefan88 01-13-2014 11:12 PM

It's mainly for fun. My beretta 92fs and my ar are home defense. My bersa ultra compact is my carry. So the shot gun would be for fun.

BVAL 01-14-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalefan88
It's mainly for fun. My beretta 92fs and my ar are home defense. My bersa ultra compact is my carry. So the shot gun would be for fun.

Go fine you a nice used Remington 870 20 or 12 ga. Pump. The best of the lot is the Wingmaster series

glockfanboy 01-14-2014 06:03 PM

Pick what length barrel you would be satisfied with. and whatever you do, buy a Remington the had the interchangeable choke system. The older 870's don't have this newish system... There barrels are "sleeved" (the choke is built right into the barrel which could cost you $300+ to change once...) Interchangeable chokes will let you do pretty much anything you want with your gun. Like say in the future you would want to get into skeet/trap shooting and you have a barrel for slugs. Then you have to spend another $150-$350 for a whole new gun or barrel...

fordracing 01-14-2014 07:17 PM

I also will be getting my first shotgun soon. I don't know a thing about them though. What is the differences in chokes? Do they change the pattern of the shot?

indy36 01-14-2014 07:35 PM

Chokes provide a constriction to the shot as it leaves the barrel. You want your shot to stay within a 30-inch circle at 21 yards for skeet so that's what a skeet choke does. Different games or types of birds you hunt will require different constrictions to maximize your chances of breaking a clay or killing something at different distances.