First post after a gun purchase
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > First post after a gun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First post after a gun purchase

Hi Guys I just found your forum and liked a few things that I've read. Earlier this year I wanted to go back to the range for some target practice so I went shopping for a accurate bolt action rifle.

Was looking for a readily available ammo, reputation for accuracy, two stage trigger, a heavy barrel yet some what light weight and affordable... "First bolt action target/varmit rifle"

I started with the Remington 700 since thats what my father, uncle and cousins shoot coyotes with, the Mini 14 was nice but I wanted something that was less rapid fire & more OSOK accuracy.

I liked what also found with Savage rifles new thumb hole stock... but Oh man there was soo much negative press online about the Savage 25, so it went low on the list but remained because there are so many postive comments on Savage 11 & 12's reputation seems solid.

Over the next few months I must read from 20+ websites and made a purchase from an estate sale in NH in July. The gun sat under my bed till this last weekend when I went to Cabelas to get a scope, rings & ammo.

The local range was setup for 100 yards and when I got there I found out I forgot the magazine so I went single shot. The rounds were 4" group at 100 yards as I was getting used to the smaller rifle the groups improved to 1" or 2" but I still forgot to buy a hex key to unlock the verticle dope on my scope.

I still need to get a thicker butt stock pad, hex tools and think about a paint scheme but I am very happy with my Savage 25 & Nikon BDC 600. I wanted to put up a quick post & let the comments fly.

Pic to follow as I get them uploaded.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2013, 04:55 AM   #2

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Savage makes the best ugly rifles money can buy. I've owned one for years; it was the first new rifle I ever had.

Enjoy.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #3

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7
Savage is the best ugly rifle money can buy. I've owned one for years; it was the first new rifle I ever had. Enjoy.

Yup ugly for sure. Except that hog gun. That thing is seci

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Owned a couple of Savages over the years and I loved them!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly