Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > First-Person-Shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When the shootings at Columbine happened I remember in a lot of the coverage them showing kids playing the arcade shooting games like area 51 and such. The media has said these games improve accuracy which is complete BS in my opinion.

The media has tried to blame pretty much everything under the sun (besides the actual sources) for violence sex and drugs.

I'm not a big gamer myself but I do enjoy the WW2 first person shooters. Someone should make a good civil war first person shooter

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 12-30-2007, 12:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
......The media has said these games improve accuracy which is complete BS in my opinion.......
You're wrong.

That's like saying that dry-fire practice doesn't help with shooting.

The Area 51-type arcade games definitely make it so a person is more likely to hit what they are aiming at. You're shooting moving targets, at a scale that simulates indoor distances.

There are IPSC shooters who come from countries where pistols are banned. They dry-fire, airsoft, and video-shoot all year long, then show up at an international match and do well (or win!).

Let me test your opinion........

Take two teen aged kids (male or female). Neither has any experience with guns or video games.

One will play Area-51 and Time Crisis for a couple of months. The other will just continue on as before.

At the end of two months, they'll come to a shooting range, learn how to handle a pistol, and run IPSC drills the same day. Who do you think will do better?

At anything close in, where fine alignment of the sights is not crucial, the gamer will win.

I'm not saying these games lead to violence. they don't, as evidenced by all the people who play them and remain "normal".

Old 12-30-2007, 12:51 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
You're wrong.

That's like saying that dry-fire practice doesn't help with shooting.

The Area 51-type arcade games definitely make it so a person is more likely to hit what they are aiming at. You're shooting moving targets, at a scale that simulates indoor distances.

There are IPSC shooters who come from countries where pistols are banned. They dry-fire, airsoft, and video-shoot all year long, then show up at an international match and do well (or win!).

Let me test your opinion........

Take two teen aged kids (male or female). Neither has any experience with guns or video games.

One will play Area-51 and Time Crisis for a couple of months. The other will just continue on as before.

At the end of two months, they'll come to a shooting range, learn how to handle a pistol, and run IPSC drills the same day. Who do you think will do better?

At anything close in, where fine alignment of the sights is not crucial, the gamer will win.

I'm not saying these games lead to violence. they don't, as evidenced by all the people who play them and remain "normal".

I honestly do not think that playing those type of games will increase anyones accuracy any sizable amount. No muzzle climb, flash, much quieter, don't have to reload in any realistic fashion. You point and shoot and if you are close to pointing at the right spot you hit it. You might as well put your fingers in the shape of a gun and go bang bang while pointing at stuff. Same quality of training I think.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 12-30-2007, 01:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
.....No muzzle climb, flash, ......
The same is true with real guns. Those things happen AFTER the shot.

.................................................. ......................
I'm not saying that those games will always make a practiced shooter better.

I'm saying those games will make someone who has never picked up a gun bfore more likely to be able to squeeze off shots in the direction of a target.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:26 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The same is true with real guns. Those things happen AFTER the shot.

.................................................. ......................
I'm not saying that those games will always make a practiced shooter better.

I'm saying those games will make someone who has never picked up a gun bfore more likely to be able to squeeze off shots in the direction of a target.
That is true. I'll concede that someone who has played these games may be somewhat superior in reactionary aiming.

- Jack Handey

Old 12-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #16

I do not believe anything but range time will improve the mechanics of shooting and hitting what you are aiming at. That said I think that video games will improve the concepts of quick target acquisition and learning to retarget quickly. It also may teach some stage strategy in planning out shot placement in each scenario.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnscout View Post
I do not believe anything but range time will improve the mechanics of shooting and hitting what you are aiming at. .....
Really? Even though every* firearm instructor believes that properly practiced dry-firing will dramatically improve your shooting ability?

* yes, I asked them all

Old 12-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Really? Even though every* firearm instructor believes that properly practiced dry-firing will dramatically improve your shooting ability?

* yes, I asked them all
We did what are called washer drills in basic training in the army. I reccomend them to people who have sloppy shot placement.

To do it, we put a section of cleaning rod in the barrel and balanced a 1/2" washer on it, then practiced trigger squeeze until we could repeatedly squeeze the trigger without having the washer fall off of the cleaning rod.

The same thing can be done with a quarter balanced on top of the slide of a pistol or the barrel of a long gun.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:19 PM   #19

I used to play duck hunt on my nintendo. Does that count?

Old 12-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #20

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I LOVE playing HL2! My wife would even say I'm addicted to it but I know she's wrong. ( Ummm at least I think she's wrong?!?!?!?!?)

As for the supposed connection between "violent" video games and real life shootings it's all MSM bulls*&T! I and my 2 sons have been playing them for 15 years or so and golly gee none of us has ever shot anyone in real life! Even though we hunt and everything. There are going to be lunatics that will do these horrendous things no matter if they play video games or not. Typical liberal crap blaming everything and everyone but the criminal.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper