Firewood - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Firewood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Been watching this thread, and thought you guys might get a kick out of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vThcK-idm0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I just bought one of those Fiskars splitting axes; they are amazing! I'd been using a single bit axe when I felt like splitting by hand, but it was WORK. It's unbelievable how much easier it is with this thing! I also picked up a couple of worn out tires to use pretty much like the bungee & chain in the video. And all these years I've had to stand the round back up, over & over...

Old 01-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #22

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I was just blown away by the ingenious use of that bungee.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #23

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy
I just bought one of those Fiskars splitting axes; they are amazing! I'd been using a single bit axe when I felt like splitting by hand, but it was WORK. It's unbelievable how much easier it is with this thing! I also picked up a couple of worn out tires to use pretty much like the bungee & chain in the video. And all these years I've had to stand the round back up, over & over...
I used to split by hand. I did a side job for a guy awhile back and he paid me with a hydrolic splitter.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #24

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Still have about 3 cords of 2 year old white oak for this year. Burns so hot the firebrick in the furnace and the fireplace are WHITE. Come June, I will be cutting wood for 2014. Got about 6 cords seasoning for 2013.
When I was in Dry Creek I tried to burn 3 year old wood. You are way in front & much better off burning well seasoned wood. I'm not quite as far ahead as you yet but I'm working on it.

Joshua 1:9

Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #25

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Fiskars splitting axes are among the best. When I split for myself I used this maul.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #26

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

You guys are spoiled with your firewood cutting, a trailer load, 6 cords, lol. Here in the Northwoods I buy a semi truck load of hardwood pulp and cut it up, this is the first year I have bought a load for this house so I am waiting to see how long it will last, the way this winter is going for us it will hopefully last me more than 2 years. Here guys sell by the face cord which is 4'x8'x16" or the full cord also called logger cord which is 4'x4'x100", one logger cord comes out to about 2.5 face cords if you are lucky.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #27

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

My buddy heats his whole house with a wood burning furnace , its alot of work for him but he laughs at me when I get those $350 @ month Natty gas bills for 3-4 months of the yr . And Im not laughing about those , its been a easy winter on us this season so its not been terrible

Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #28

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Should just get you guys one of these. Watch your step and don't fall any where near this thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=N1HZztie5ac

Old 02-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #29

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
You guys are spoiled with your firewood cutting, a trailer load, 6 cords, lol. Here in the Northwoods I buy a semi truck load of hardwood pulp and cut it up, this is the first year I have bought a load for this house so I am waiting to see how long it will last, the way this winter is going for us it will hopefully last me more than 2 years. Here guys sell by the face cord which is 4'x8'x16" or the full cord also called logger cord which is 4'x4'x100", one logger cord comes out to about 2.5 face cords if you are lucky.
Guess I am spoiled. The logs are free & most the time I'm in the truck & getting paid to dump them. If we cut on my side of town the logs are just a waste product for the boss as he doesn't want to haul them to his lot.