Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Firefighters In Oregon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Name:  popcorn-chair.gif
Views: 37
Size:  11.5 KBName:  popcorn-chair.gif
Views: 37
Size:  11.5 KB

I really hate the 10 character limit!!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 05-29-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
YouTube - Fox News, Firefighting

I can't think of anything to say right now because I'm so infuriated by this.
You aint the only one that is speachless on this one Brother! Some BS going on in the US of A.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone know what actually happened with this?

Did they lose their jobs for not knowing the language of a new hire? Especially when they were good enough for the job at the beginning?

That would be a disgrace if anyone other than a translator lost their job for knowing only english!

Old 06-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #14

Default Rumors Again

Just to let you know, this supposed firing happened 3 years ago.

When I say supposed, it turns out (like most of these stories) to not be true.

Here is what the Oregon Department of Forestry has to say about this
(Oregon Department of Forestry Firefighting crew bosses required to speak English)

The old saying, “Rumor can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on,” is borne out in information circulating on the web and elsewhere that claims the Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) is firing and demoting fire crew bosses that do not speak Spanish.

This is not the case. Here are the facts:
ODF has no requirement that its employees speak Spanish, and does not demote or fire anyone because they don’t speak Spanish. And to our knowledge, no crew boss on the private contract fire crews we use has ever been fired because of inability to speak Spanish.
ODF and its partner agencies contract with private companies to supply fire crews for frontline firefighting work. The crews work under the guidance of incident management teams fielded by ODF and other agencies to manage large firefighting operations.
Because English is the language of firefighting in the United States, we must have the ability to communicate with all crews. Accordingly, the contract requires that the leaders of contract crews speak English. This requirement covers the crew boss and the three squad bosses on a typical 20-person crew.
Companies may choose whom they hire for their crews. If a company elects to hire employees who do not speak English, then the supervisors of that crew must speak English as well as the language of any crew members who don’t speak English. This is a matter of good communication, safety, and effectiveness for the agencies that hire crews under the contract. Over the years, this system has established a record of solid firefighting performance and safety.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #15
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A local business owner shared a story in our small business development meeting that he has 40+ hispanic employees that speak little to no english. He relied on the few hispanics that do speak english to comunicate to the employees. Our state offers free on location classes for people who want to learn english as a second language as long as there are 12 people who take the class, the 12 people included family members. Only two people signed up for the class (an employee and his wife). He ended up paying for the employee and his wife to learn english and bought Rosettia Stone (spelling is wrong) so his managers could learn spanish. It didn't take long before the few that could speak english were found out to be translating to there advantage and not expressing company goals. Several months latter those few are gone and he has 100% involvement from his spanish speaking employees in learning english as a second language.

My company is small and even when it was much larger I found it important that those who worked for me understand the words I speak. I don't discriminate but do require that employees are able to comunicate verbally and in writing in english.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:06 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cguy View Post
Just to let you know, this supposed firing happened 3 years ago.

When I say supposed, it turns out (like most of these stories) to not be true.

Here is what the Oregon Department of Forestry has to say about this
(Oregon Department of Forestry Firefighting crew bosses required to speak English)

The old saying, “Rumor can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on,” is borne out in information circulating on the web and elsewhere that claims the Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) is firing and demoting fire crew bosses that do not speak Spanish.

This is not the case. Here are the facts:
ODF has no requirement that its employees speak Spanish, and does not demote or fire anyone because they don’t speak Spanish. And to our knowledge, no crew boss on the private contract fire crews we use has ever been fired because of inability to speak Spanish.
ODF and its partner agencies contract with private companies to supply fire crews for frontline firefighting work. The crews work under the guidance of incident management teams fielded by ODF and other agencies to manage large firefighting operations.
Because English is the language of firefighting in the United States, we must have the ability to communicate with all crews. Accordingly, the contract requires that the leaders of contract crews speak English. This requirement covers the crew boss and the three squad bosses on a typical 20-person crew.
Companies may choose whom they hire for their crews. If a company elects to hire employees who do not speak English, then the supervisors of that crew must speak English as well as the language of any crew members who don’t speak English. This is a matter of good communication, safety, and effectiveness for the agencies that hire crews under the contract. Over the years, this system has established a record of solid firefighting performance and safety.
Thanks for clearing that up. Another Fox News spinfest, as I suspected.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

To everyone else, personal attacks, name calling and infighting will result in time off from the forum to cool down.

It's still just the internet and fighting on it is still just like running a race in the Special Olympics.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.