Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > FIRECRAFT 2 (FTF Bushcraft School Lesson 2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Try this simple adaption with your fire boards. Cut out a small trough piece out of your fire board, right next to where you will be "drilling."

Next, either hollow out a place right underneath your fire board or elevate it just enough, where you can place your tender just underneath where you will be drilling. Then, when you successfully get embers, the hot embers from your drilling will fall right into the tender, or you can give it a light tap. It will be easier to blow on for needed oxygen for ignition as well.

That way there is less wasted movement involved moving tender and your tender source is right there for the embers to fall into.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Master Chief, can we perhaps get some pictures to show how you bush savvy folks do it? That might help get the participation numbers up here.
As soon as my next paycheck comes in next week, I'm getting a decent camera. I thought I would be able to do it sooner but some unexpected expenses came up (home repairs and such). I've got to get a couple of presents for my girlfriend as well (it's her birthday on Saturday, and our four year anniversary on Sunday, being single was so much cheaper!).

Guys, don't be disheartened by failure. Friction fire is hard and it takes a lot of practice. In a sense, it's important to fail. A lot of people who don't actually try to do it think that by just knowing the theory behind it they can make it work just as easily as if they had matches.

What this teaches us is that if a bow drill is going to be part of our emergency fire making repertoir we've got to practice a lot. And packing half a dozen or so extra lighters ain't a bad idea either.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this!

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #23

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I found some material for fire starting at a local park in a drainage wash. We get scrub trees growing wild there and I think I got wood from a walnut tree. The branch was dead but still in the tree. I had to use a tree saw as the branch was too large to baton and an axe would draw too much attention. Even though the branch was dead and the tree was out in a wild wash area I’m still not supposed to be cutting down wood on city property.

I split the branch by batoning but with a heavier knife and an axe back to hit. It was very hard wood, a bit too green, and much larger than was suggested by the chief. Hey beggars can’t be choosy here in the city. I flattened the back with the Mora, dug out a drill hole, and put together the bow, drill, and handhold. A lot harder wood then the pine I was whittling in the mountains. I got everything put together and gave it a try. Fail… the bow cord kept slipping on the drill and not turning it. I used para-cord as suggested but no matter how tight I made the bow it just slipped. I’m going to try again and find some resin / pine sap for the cord or maybe scar up the drill stick for more gription.

ld10-002.jpg   ld10-005.jpg   ld10-006.jpg   ld10-003.jpg   ld10-004.jpg  

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Jo, if the if the cord keeps slipping off the spindle you can use a trick that dates back to ancient Egypt. Egyptians used bow drills as a tool to make holes as well as fire, and in order to make them more efficient they either drilled a hole through the spindle and put the cord through it or used an extra long bow string and wrapped it several times around the spindle.

Illustration of bow drill use were found at the Saqqara pyramids (where the oldest pyramids are, like Djoser's step pyramid). They used copper for the drill bits, although I've seen stone bits at the British Museum and in Cairo.

Edited to add: Thanks for posting the pics! I love that leather handled knife, it looks well used. Lovely. Is it a Marble's Ideal? It certainly looks like one, but I know several companies made knives somewhat following that pattern.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #25

I had planned on trying the drill fire method again. But when I went in the back yard this weekend I found Barney had other ideas. He was doing a little buscrafting of his own.

Yeah that's right...

The dog ate my homework!

2010-reg-4-elev-repairs-002.jpg   2010-reg-4-elev-repairs-003.jpg  

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Jo I love that leather handled knife, it looks well used. Lovely. Is it a Marble's Ideal? It certainly looks like one, but I know several companies made knives somewhat following that pattern.

That is the first knife I ever bought. I got it at the local hardware store about thirty five years ago for 5 bucks. I have no idea the manufacturer, but yes it is well used.