Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Firearm safe question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Firearm safe question

I am planning on buying a rifle safe and on a budget.

This (Harbor Freight) Bunker Hill Safe looks good enough and within my budget.
Executive Safe

Is this worth buying for $380 (and possibly 20% less w/ coupon) or should I save longer and get a better one later?

Anyone know a better value safe?

Thank you.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #2

It looks like an excellent deal but if you want to find another one for a good deal look on cragslist or a website like that you can find very good deals on there

Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #3

Liked 7547 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

Do not expect high security nor fire resistance on the Bunker Hill. However, if that is what you can afford right now, it is better than trying to hide guns under the bed. It would deter the teenager with a screwdriver that is entering into a life of crime, but not a pro. However, most of the pros are busy casing the jewelry store.

If you get one, position it in a corner, when you can lag bolt it thru 2 sides into the studs of the wall, and the floor JOISTS below (or concrete anchors if on a poured floor slab)

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks.

I've been checking Craigslist but no good/decent deals. Most are priced close or more than new items on sale.

C3, we haven't closed yet but the target new place have a fire sprinkler system so this is more for theft deterrence. You are right, I know this is not the best but much better than gun cabinets or the closet.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 08-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #5

Liked 886 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 288

I'm getting a Stack on gun security cabinet because I don't have the money for the safe I want at this point. It does not provide a lot of security but it will keep children and drunk or nosy guests out.

It's always said buy a safe twice as big as what you think you need. Well with the security cabinet it's only $100 for an 8 gun cabinet and I don't need one twice as big as I think because I know it's only a temporary solution where as a $2000+ safe is a life long investment.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #6

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I know it sounds like a lot compared to the safe you are looking at. But I purchased a really nice safe at Cabelas for $809.00. It holds up to 48 long guns or a combination of 24 long guns and a crap load of other stuff. I look at it as an investment. I used to have a cheap safe. I also used to buy cheap guns. But now that I spend $800 to $1200 at a time on guns. I felt that the good safe was worth the money. If you just have a couple of cheap pistols maybe the cheap safe is the way to go. If you plan on buying an AR 15 and some other tactical goodies, I think I would spend a little more.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Do you have Costco stores around you the have them too

Old 08-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5599 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 4684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
C3, we haven't closed yet but the target new place have a fire sprinkler system so this is more for theft deterrence. You are right, I know this is not the best but much better than gun cabinets or the closet.
Whatever you get, look into mounting it in such a way as to limit water damage to the contents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I'm getting a Stack on gun security cabinet because I don't have the money for the safe I want at this point. It does not provide a lot of security but it will keep children and drunk or nosy guests out.
I may be odd man out on this one, but given the types of guns i like (not high dollar) and my location (decent area, crime rate-wise), i don't think i really needed the gun safe i got. I would've been just fine with a large gun cabinet. There is one .22 rifle in there that is irreplaceable to me; it is the gun i got for christmas when i was six.

If you have a couple of revolvers, an SKS, a couple of shotguns, and some rimfires from your youth, will that really be your biggest concern in the event of a burglary? MAYBE, upgrading your insurance and getting a decent gun cabinet would be enough until your collection becomes larger or more enviable or the neighborhood goes downhill.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 08-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #9

Liked 7547 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

To all- some good points made here on this thread-

While we might LIKE to have an armored 12 x 24 arms room with a door salvaged from the Federal Reserve Bank, many of us have kids, mortgages, car payments, etc (I don't, but can damn sure remember when I did!)

In which case you look for the best you can afford AT THAT TIME. You might really like a 12 g Merkel, Purdy, Parker or Kreighoff- what your wallet will cover is a Mossberg pump.

I have a few of the Stack On metal gun cabinets- I will not call them safes. But they are used to hold Savage 22 rifles for which I paid less than $90 each. Would I throw a dozen $1000 rifles in those? Nope. They are enuff to deter/ slow down the punk equipped with a screwdriver. It does not make sense to spend more for the safe than the value it contains.

If anyone is offended that someone did not buy a much more expensive gun/knife/ boat/ reloader than YOU would have- may I humbly suggest you withhold a sharply worded rebuke until you have sent them YOUR check to aid in the purchase?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #10

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88
I am planning on buying a rifle safe and on a budget.

This (Harbor Freight) Bunker Hill Safe looks good enough and within my budget.
Executive Safe

Is this worth buying for $380 (and possibly 20% less w/ coupon) or should I save longer and get a better one later?

Anyone know a better value safe?

Thank you.
I was employed there. I was there for over two years and I've never seen one returned. They are not fireproof however. Really the only problem you would have would be the keypad going out in which case you have the manual combo as a backup. You can find them on sale usually for around $299 and I would recommend getting the extended protection on it for an additional $49.99 for a two year guarantee. If something happened within that time frame you could bring it back and get a new one. In essence you could really bring it back and get a new safe every two years for $49.99. With that being said, it would be a pain to haul it back and forth but for the value...it could potentially be worth it. Overall for the money its a good solid safe. You can also use a 20% off coupon that you can find in most any gun magazine that you can apply towards the price.
Hope that helps!

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Last edited by g17frantz; 08-27-2011 at 09:19 PM.