Firearm purchase math...doesn't add up (vs. budget)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Firearm purchase math...doesn't add up (vs. budget)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Firearm purchase math...doesn't add up (vs. budget)

I know how it works but at purchase time it seems I always forget. LOL

So I found a nice gun on sale for $299.99 and say, sure I can squeeze that from this months budget. After shipping and FFL, total to me is $354.20. Of course I need extra mags so I ordered 3 for a total of $76.00.

Since this is a new caliber...I have to stock up some premium (300 rounds) and practice ammo (850 rounds so far).

So all told, my $299.99 sale gun cost me $768.00 so far Hope the wife doesn't notice...all I told her is it is a $299.99 gun (the truth)

Good that I already have all cleaning supplies...otherwise it will be a lot more.

I also learned that it is indeed easier to beg for forgiveness than to get permission. She did tell/expect me to buy lots of practice ammo shortly after and she can't wait to try the new pistol.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

This highlights the primary reason I like to trade guns (or buy used). Normally a swap will include goodies like extra mags, holsters, and in many cases ammo as well...

Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Where I am in CA, sales tax is 8.75% and the DROS fee is $25. That sure jacks up the price of a new firearm. It certainly makes a private sale very attractive.

The least expensive private party transfer & DROS fee I have found is $60. which isn't exactly cheap. But if the firearm is bought at the right price, it's a much better alternative.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8875 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Yeah, I know what you mean. I wanted another 8mm, stopped by my local pusher - uh DEALER, yeah, that's the word- this afternoon. Nice M48, very nice wood, good metal, 3 lbs of cosomoline at no extra charge- and bayonet and scabbard. $199. Asked the dealer- since this is a cash sale, and transfer from your FFL to mine, can you do anything on the price? He knocked $25 off on the spot. Together with the background check fee I do not have to pay, this one purchase covered the cost of my 03 curio & Relic FFL. Already have a good supply of 8mm ammo, but now I need to get a sling for this one.

Pictures AFTER I get this one degreased- too much cosmo to lay on the rug for a picture!

PS- for those that are still thinking about getting their 03, from deciding on the rifle to walking out the door with it was under 5 minutes. Paperwork consists of signing a copy of my FFL, and signing the sales receipt.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.